• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 670 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Immense respect for Majka.

he did a massive pull when ony he, rogers and roche were left. then he went to the back of the group, rested and then returned for another massive pull before he handed over the job to Rogers.

I am happy with Morkov and Paulinho too. they were doing damn good job.

Nibali's men were not tht good. All three, Fugslang, Kangert and Scarponi were spat out of the selection.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
bambino said:
Strange... I saw most of the AC fanboys saying at least 20 sec for Berto over Nibali today before the race. I think the reality was 3? You should actually be disappointed, right and not make huge statement over sprint win? Why would Berto hold back when there was a chance to drop the rest even way more? I thought I saw him asking Nibs to make a stab 500 m to go and help to get more, but Nibali would not even bother. The race is on - 3 seconds in sprint (which Nibali doesn't master anyway) means nothing.

very well summarized

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
To highlight this...
LaFlorecita said:
Just give it a rest.

...How about both Contador and Nibali fans give it a rest with having a go at each other all the time?

Seriously, lets not let this turn any more into a fanboy/girl war. Discuss the race, how you think the favorites looked, etc. without getting personal or being rude with each other. :)

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Contie and Nibali (and Quintana) are my two fav GC riders right now, so it's win-win for me fanboy -wise. Watching the replay, Nibs did appear to be cooked when he crossed the line while Contie looked a lot fresher. Biggest winners were Contie and Porte, maintainers were Nibs and Piti, and biggest losers were... well... take your pick. OT: Awesome win by a frenchman in a french race on a french holiday weekend. Dude may never have to buy himself another drink in France again.

Bambino said:
Strange... I saw most of the AC fanboys saying at least 20 sec for Berto over Nibali today before the race.

No, you read what you wanted to read. Many was unsure about wheter or not he would try at this stage and we where right. We are optimistic about the overall perspective though.

Bambino said:
I think the reality was 3? You should actually be disappointed, right and not make huge statement over sprint win?

He took a long look at Nibali. Saw that guy was on the limit. Pushed a little more and a symbolic 3 seconds was gained. I admit Nibali looked strong in following but it also true that it wasnt an full-out attack going on there.

Bambino said:
Why would Berto hold back when there was a chance to drop the rest even way more?

To preserve obviously? Before this little pull he was barely within the top 20. Now it is back to 5 (or 6). No need to go ballistic on a shorter climb with hopes of gaining more when there arent really any distance to do so. Of course, you dont really know with him, but that was what many of us predicted before the stage.

Bambino said:
I thought I saw him asking Nibs to make a stab 500 m to go and help to get more, but Nibali would not even bother. The race is on - 3 seconds in sprint (which Nibali doesn't master anyway) means nothing.

In which reality did you see this? :)

“In the first week of the race, Matteo, Michael and Daniele have done a very good job on the flat stretches and today, Sergio, Rafal, Nicolas and Michael demonstrated that they are ready for the mountains. Alberto didn’t go 100% but tested his rivals and Nibali who seems like the strongest. We gained a few seconds on Nibali, a minute and more on other rivals and the mountains are yet to come. We’re looking forward to Alps and Pyreness but don’t underestimate tomorrow’s and Monday’s stages either,” said Philippe Mauduit after today’s mountain finish.

From the race report... :eek::eek::D

Just read the Tinkoff post race summary and they are trolling the other teams HARD:

Alberto didn’t go 100% but tested his rivals and Nibali who seems like the strongest. We gained a few seconds on Nibali, a minute and more on other rivals and the mountains are yet to come. We’re looking forward to Alps and Pyreness but don’t underestimate tomorrow’s and Monday’s stages either,” said Philippe Mauduit after today’s mountain finish.

This at least confirms how he looked on the climb. Barring bad legs or illness, I suspect he's going to light it up on Monday.

LaFlorecita said:

Logical. I don't know if people realize but Nibali is a different rider than in Dauphine and Contador is at Froome level. The question is not that Contador will ride away from Nibali but if he will be able to get back at least 2 minutes before the TT. Though Nibali is no Chicken Rasmussen to dance away with Bertie I'm sure it will be tough.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

Perfectly agree.

When Bertie attacks he doesnt look back after every other pedal strokes on who is following him.

The talking to Nibali thing is a normal ploy done by every rider in the front. Nibali was only shaking his head, and not replying. That's usually a sign that Nibali was at his limit.

AC was measuring Porte and Nibali imho.

Also, bertie attacked aound the km mark. I dont think anyone wanting to gain serious time attacks so late.

Saxo Impressive, Alberto never took a deep breath. Time to be made up soon. Nibali will defend brilliantly but the elastic will break and Alberto will be free to fly! Does he have enough to take back 2:30 is the only question.

It is agony watching your 2 fav go mano o mano!!!

murali said:
Perfectly agree.

When Bertie attacks he doesnt look back after every other pedal strokes on who is following him.

The talking to Nibali thing is a normal ploy done by every rider in the front. Nibali was only shaking his head, and not replying. That's usually a sign that Nibali was at his limit.

AC was measuring Porte and Nibali imho.

Also, bertie attacked aound the km mark. I dont think anyone wanting to gain serious time attacks so late.

All seems right to me.

TRENDING THREADS