• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 672 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Looked like AC is measuring Nibs. Not a climb to take much time back. To short.TS know that tomorrow is not a stage to take back time. It is a stage to wear out Nibs/Astana. Monday there will be fireworks no doubt!

Looked to me that Nibs was breathing hard in that last 1k. AC was just turning over the gear. Horner raised a very interesting point the other day about Nibs on the climbs. A violent kick but short and then has to bring it back way down.

We shall see. I have to say this is a great Tour so far.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
thehook said:
Looked like AC is measuring Nibs. Not a climb to take much time back. To short.TS know that tomorrow is not a stage to take back time. It is a stage to wear out Nibs/Astana. Monday there will be fireworks no doubt!

Looked to me that Nibs was breathing hard in that last 1k. AC was just turning over the gear. Horner raised a very interesting point the other day about Nibs on the climbs. A violent kick but short and then has to bring it back way down.

it is double blade, they are also wearing themselves out, the real fight should be monday

May 19, 2011
Visit site
thehook said:

yep I posted that interview over here

mrhender said:
I've been re-reading our correspondence after a day at work and I think I have answered pretty much anything to the post above before you even posted it?

If you re-read the post you originally responded to and the additional two responses I made, you will maybe find that your summary/interpretation of my posts where somehow also a bit off?
I may not have original tactics or/and may be way off, missing the psychological aspect of the race. But then why do a professional team as Tinkoff/Saxo do amlost exactly as my posts implied they should and probably would?
Was today really that bad tactics?

You were right they did exactly as you said and it worked

But I am with Greg Lemond on this...he felt as I do Astana should be made to do the work as it is over 2 weeks left and today's race will tire out TCS long before Astana

I would have preferred TCS saved today until Monday and got more than a few seconds ....Its a very long Tour yet and I wnat TCS , whose main doms have all ridden the Giro to last the course

sacrifice&hardwork said:
To those who said that Alberto was just going to focus on Nibali; Alberto said that today was all about distancing the riders who were a threat ahead of him on GC. And he also said that it wasn't in his plans to distance Valverde, Porte and Nibali; but in the end he did.

Off course he said that, which doesn't mean it's the truth. He knows he's much better than Valverde, Porte or everyone else, but it would be arrogant to say "I only care about Nibali".

inthepink said:
You were right they did exactly as you said and it worked

But I am with Greg Lemond on this...he felt as I do Astana should be made to do the work as it is over 2 weeks left and today's race will tire out TCS long before Astana

I would have preferred TCS saved today until Monday and got more than a few seconds ....Its a very long Tour yet and I wnat TCS , whose main doms have all ridden the Giro to last the course

Astana was content to ride in at a leisurely pace. They wouldnt have done any more work than necessary to keep Nibali in yellow. So how does Lemond suggest you make them work?

lenric said:
Off course he said that, which doesn't mean it's the truth. He knows he's much better than Valverde, Porte or everyone else, but it would be arrogant to say "I only care about Nibali".

Actually there is a lot of truth to what he says. Whatever you think about Porte, hes a decent time trialist. Contador needs to leapfrog him and give himself some cushion to win the overall (assuming Ritche doesn't have a bad day). Valverde's non-performance today was pretty surprising. This was his kind of climb.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Very positive signs today....up 10 places in the GC, comfortably took 2nd place and definitely made psychological gains too....he's looking good. But what an effort from the team today, great stuff from TCS.

I said a few days ago here that I felt Nibbles pushed too hard the first few days and that he might pay for it for the rest of the Tour and this looks to be the first signs....so much effort so early in the Tour can kill a rider in the mountains....he's a class act though, Monday should be great.

Vamos Contador!!!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
Astana was content to ride in at a leisurely pace. They wouldnt have done any more work than necessary to keep Nibali in yellow. So how does Lemond suggest you make them work?

that is a good point, I think Lemond is more worried Saxo can't keep riding this, but who knows? maybe a new sky train is born.

maxmartin said:
that is a good point, I think Lemond is more worried Saxo can't keep riding this, but who knows? maybe a new sky train is born.

I dont think the have to quite frankly. The upcoming mountain stages will be about attrition--the slopes themselves will sort lots of players out (tomorrow and Monday's stages look brutal). One thing im curious about is Nibali's ability to recover. He and Astana have worked really hard the last week(especially on stage 5)--that has to have cost them a great deal of energy. And reports are thst Fuglsang was suffering from a bug. I hope for their sake it is an isolated bug or it could get ugly for them.

TRENDING THREADS