• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 680 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
First abandon ever for Alberto in a GT

Very unlucky he would have proved redemption this year. Even if i would have said CF want their more than likely, i wanted strongest too win.A Nibali win is just hilarious.:mad:

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
As someone else has said , I don't respond very much but it is very sad after watching tour and cycling for over 30 years, to see one of the greatest cyclist of all time( yes, I said it) go out of the race like this. Especially since I believed that he would have been able to close the gap to Nibali

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LuckySteveC said:
Shame when the 2 best riders are no longer in it. Nibbles, Porte and Talansky for the Podium if they can stay on the bike.

i think this tour comes down to who can stay up right. Too many bad weather and too many bad luck. I'm switching off too. Trying so hard to find motivation to watch the tour now. I hope contador is back for Vuelta. Finger crossed.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I think his frame broke after he crashed. Can't believe it would break out of nowhere.

did anyone know what's going on? it was on a climb right? I wonder how fast it was, because he looked damaged pretty good?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
smokeyrollsdown said:
Been reading this forum during the last 5 years, never wrote anything, but today, what a sad moment. I love cycling, and I love to watch Contador riding, my favourite rider; that said, seeing him injured like that, still trying to get back to the bike, pedalling in clear pain, showed me how cruel professional sports are. Not very different from the Roman period; us sitting in our sofas watching humans, gladiators, suffering on the battlefield.

+100, especially the bolded. Cycling, IMHO, is one of the toughest sports out there. So much effort, time, money, dedication, etc. is put into it. And the race could all be over in a second.

I just hope Contador doesn't let this get to him and that he doesn't let this truly become the end. I think he'll be back, I'll be cheering for him when he is.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Alcanelo said:
Bsgn7J-IQAAKUOC.jpg

Bertie and Rodgers....very nice sporting picture but it's also so painful to see... Get well soon champ

Gosh what a sad view. I was almost on my tears. It must be so hard for contador to tell his team mate that he can't go on...

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This is too much to take... :(:(:(:(

Alberto was really motivated for today's stage. He really wanted to win today and take back as much time as possible. He was crying when he finally gave up and was getting inside his team car. As Jesus Hernandez said, the fall must've been really serious if it lead to Alberto's DNF.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Jelantik said:
i think this tour comes down to who can stay up right. Too many bad weather and too many bad luck. I'm switching off too. Trying so hard to find motivation to watch the tour now. I hope contador is back for Vuelta. Finger crossed.

Agree. I've lost interest in this TDF. Bring on the Vuelta.

sacrifice&hardwork said:
This is too much to take... :(:(:(

Alberto was really motivated for today's stage. He really wanted to win today and take back as much time as possible. He was crying when he finally gave up and was getting inside his team car. As Jesus Hernandez said, the fall must've been really serious if it lead to Alberto's DNF.

Noooooooo :(

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Only that Race Radio said it and it has been repeated by an eye witness (Steve Purino) who said the bike was in 2 pieces lying on the ground.

I see thanks. It's probably due to the crash though (i hope for specialized..)

LaFlorecita said:
Looking forward to what? The Vuelta? Where riders who crash out in the Tour never reach their full potential?

Won't ever be as good as a battle royale in Le Tour, I agree; but the Vuleta still could be ridden at quite a high standard between Froome and Contador (assuming their current injuries aren't too serious) this year. Maybe similar circumstances to the Vino vs. Valverde race of '06, and that was entertaining.

gregrowlerson said:
Won't ever be as good as a battle royale in Le Tour, I agree; but the Vuleta still could be ridden at quite a high standard between Froome and Contador (assuming their current injuries aren't too serious) this year. Maybe similar circumstances to the Vino vs. Valverde race of '06, and that was entertaining.

But Quintana will crush them both

TRENDING THREADS