• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 691 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jancouver said:
Still have two Specialized kids bikes that are about to be sold as I have already got a bigger bikes for them from different manufactures.

My S-Works Tarmac I already sold years back because I didnt like it.

My S-Works helmet I throw away this winter as the cheapo plastic adjustable fit system broke and they dont sell a replacement for the older models.

Thats about it. No more Specialized junk in our house.

I actually quite like my specialized bike, but got cheap helmet from Costco, plus I never rode downhill.:D

The_Juan said:
That you seem to be more interested in replying to other people's opinions than formulating your own.

Just an observation.

Peace out.

That's how forum discussions work. Someone makes a comment and folks agree, disagree or expound on the post in either direction. I didn't mean to offend your delicate sensibilities by disagreeing with your opinion. :p

And I would note, I was offering my opinion in that comment

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I actually quite like my specialized bike, but got cheap helmet from Costco, plus I never rode downhill.:D

They make some good (high end) products, I dont dispute that. Their lower end is pure junk. Including helmets, accessories and tires.

I just dont like their business model, how they treat bike shops and their overall cocky attitude. They just dont deserve my business. :cool:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Contador has never been my favorite rider but it's really a shame to see him out of Le Tour. If nothing else, he animates stages and forces others to play defense.

Plus, I really don't like Nibali :)

Let's go Gallo!

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Shame that Contador is out. He is praised for his aggressive style when it works out for him but it seems today it may have backfired. At least some of the twitter comments from other riders seem to indicate he was taking unnecessary risk.

Aside from that, is anyone buying this story from Specialized about the broken bike. It seems like the story has changed about four times and now it was apparently broken on top of the team car. So Alberto crashed so hard that he broke his tibia but the broken bike in the picture happened on top of the car. Ok, that is a good one.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
jmomentum said:
Shame that Contador is out. He is praised for his aggressive style when it works out for him but it seems today it may have backfired. At least some of the twitter comments from other riders seem to indicate he was taking unnecessary risk.

Aside from that, is anyone buying this story from Specialized about the broken bike. It seems like the story has changed about four times and now it was apparently broken on top of the team car. So Alberto crashed so hard that he broke his tibia but the broken bike in the picture happened on top of the car. Ok, that is a good one.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/t...dentified-as-cause-of-snapped-contador-frame/

He crashed on one bike, swapped to Roche's Mclaren Venge and that's the one he had the Tour ending crash on. The other one broke after a tangle with the belkin car.

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
That makes it clear. Especially the actual photo of the belkin car. I had not seen that but can say that I was skeptical of the story but seems to be pretty clear proof that's it's true. crazy

The most important thing is he has a full recover. Vuelta or not , Lombardia or not , Worlds or not.
All of us want he comes back to winning a GT next year ( i hope to see him in Italy) but primarily have fun himself and us to watch his dancing:eek::)

Contador crashed because he was reaching for food and hit a hole or stone in the road and couldn't control his bike with one hand
Simples.. accidents happen
He wasn't attacking or going too fast...its wasn't cos he didn't recce the course or his bike was poor

He is a superb rider and will be back next year

Its a shame for the Tour as I think he would have won it hands down and his fight to get time back would have been immense. Now Nibali looks head and shoulders above the rest

But with nearly 2 weeks to go still anything can happen

inthepink said:
Contador crashed because he was reaching for food and hit a hole or stone in the road and couldn't control his bike with one hand
He wasn't attacking or going too fast...its wasn't cos he didn't recce the course or his bike was poor

Its a shame for the Tour as I think he would have won it hands down and his fight to get time back would have been immense. Now Nibali looks head and shoulders above the rest

“According to me, he was moving up during the descent. That didn’t seem necessary to me because we were already quite near the front. I didn’t see exactly what caused the crash but I saw him crashing. He touched the ground a couple of times really hard. Eventually, he ended up at the side of the road. At first I thought he would not get back up. It was a big hit. We were going really fast,” Keukeleire told Cyclingnews.

Greg Van Avermaet (BMC) saw Contador crashing too but he saw the whole team moving up. “It wasn’t necessary. They moved up beside me with the whole team. They were already in about 25th place but apparently those Saxo-guys wanted to move up even more. I always want to maintain my position during a descent but they wanted to move up. It’s a stupid crash on a straightforward road. Very stupid,” Van Avermaet told Cyclingnews.

... unnecessary risk?

inthepink said:

You ignore all the witness accounts that say he was overtaking people at high speeds while every one of those witnesses felt the risks he was taking were not necessary? He only took himself out here, but he could've brought down half the peloton.

And I'm saying this as a Contador supporter.

Jagartrott said:
You ignore all the witness accounts that say he was overtaking people at high speeds while every one of those witnesses felt the risks he was taking were not necessary? He only took himself out here, but he could've brought down half the peloton.

And I'm saying this as a Contador supporter.

It sounds as if the intial crash unnerved him somewhat and this is why he was frantically wanting to get back to the front.

Just to testify to the spectacle and entertainment value AC brings to the race, with Froome and Contador out, I honestly don't have much motivation to watch the rest of this Tour.

And I appreciate Nibali. But its not worth my afternoons, as before.

rhubroma said:
It sounds as if the intial crash unnerved him somewhat and this is why he was frantically wanting to get back to the front.

Just to show you the entertainment value AC brings to the race, with Froome and Contador out, I honestly don't have much motivation to watch the rest of this Tour.

And I appreciate Nibali.

I think that's exactly it.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
rhubroma said:

Just to testify to the spectacle and entertainment value AC brings to the race, with Froome and Contador out, I honestly don't have much motivation to watch the rest of this Tour.

And I appreciate Nibali. But its not worth my afternoons, as before.

I share the sentiment. It is not the same without him.

Re crash(es):

To me it seems that someone concluded that there were two crashes because after he crashed he continued to ride for a few kms and then stopped and sat down (that was what we saw on Eurosport).
(Then he rode another 18 or so kms with team, before stopping for good).

I believe there was only one crash, and he broke his bike then. Other bike was run over and broken too.
I base my opinion on Roche's article.

Some couraging words from Oleg here:

Tinkoff Saxo team owner Oleg Tinkov believes that Alberto Contador would have won the Tour de France had he not crashed out with a broken tibia on stage 10.

Contador fell mid-way through the stage and despite carrying on for nearly 20 kilometres was forced to abandon. Although the Spaniard was over two minutes down on his main rival Vincenzo Nibali (Astana), the pair were expected to challenge for the maillot jaune all the way to Paris.

However with another stage win to his name and the yellow jersey back on his shoulders, Nibali looks in a commanding position as the race reaches its first rest day.

“It was an accident. He said there’s a bump and he was eating. He’s gone for an x-ray. I don’t know exactly what happened,” said a disconsolate Tinkov at the end of stage 10.

“He said he was eating a bar and then he hit a bump. It’s like a bad dream but this is cycling. That’s what I said when Froome crashed out.”

Contador came into the Tour de France as a leading contender and had raced well throughout the 2014 season. Despite losing significant time to Nibali and his other rivals on the stage to Arenberg, he showed signs of fight on stage 8, attacking and splitting the lead group on the final climb. Morale and belief in the Tinkoff Saxo camp appeared to be high.

“I’m confident in Alberto and I think he would have won the Tour,” Tinkov added.

“He was strongest here and he would have won but that’s cycling. He’s strong, he’s stronger than Nibali in my view. We’ll try next year.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov-contador-would-have-won-the-tour-de-france

TRENDING THREADS