• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 910 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hugo Koblet said:
Can someone explain to me why it's pointless to discuss Contador's chances of winning the Giro in the dedicated Contador threat? Because I fail to see why :confused:

No need for threats:eek:

I think the number thing is quite silly as everyone will see things differently.. surely most people agree he's the number one favorite but everyone will put a different number on that

Carols said:
Sure I was being silly with my %. But it is winter and we just had a blizzard so I see it as harmless fun to banter around silly numbers. So shoot me if you don't like it :D

Alberto 1-9 to win the Giro. Only a mad person would take those odds!!!

Bet the house on it and it might be worth it.:p I asked someone to check odds for the double and triple, on 17 October:
Skybet have a market on winning all three GTs - AC is at 23 for that.

:confused: I would have thought 200 at least!! Would have been worth 5 euros :)

Edit:
&
on October 25th
6 for the Giro-Tour double at Billy Hills.

LaFlorecita said:
Bet the house on it and it might be worth it.:p I asked someone to check odds for the double and triple, on 17 October:

:confused: I would have thought 200 at least!! Would have been worth 5 euros :)

Edit:
&
on October 25th

I might put a bet on the giro, double and triple just for the hell of it. Haven't betted before and no idea how to really, but I think I'm bound to at least one!

I'm pretty sure that if AC does the double he'll try for the Vuelta unless he's injured. Just riding around Spain as the winner of the double would ensure an amazing atmosphere, given it's his home race. And it's not as though he'd get to give that a try again! Who knows, some times the magic happens even and the gods are kind.

I fear crashes more than opposition for Contador, actually, because it would be being cheated out of an epic attempt after so much work…would be awful for him and us.

:cool:
Jspear said:
Roche of course has shared some "secrets" about AC with Froome and Sky...anyone think that will show next year at all?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/froome-contador-two-greatest-rivals-says-nicolas-roche-154542

What made me laugh about that article is the revelation of just how into the details AC was…looks like he's been using 'marginal gains' all along…

I hope not, though. Maybe I'm naive, but I think it's probably more psychological than actual with this kind of stuff. Surely training tactics and regimes are very much geared/ nuanced to each rider, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other.

Would he know the kind of numbers AC achieves in training? It's not like Roche was his coach? I just have no idea how much of this is common currency across the team?

Maybe Roche has revealed how Alberto takes his coffee? :cool:

Jspear said:
Roche of course has shared some "secrets" about AC with Froome and Sky...anyone think that will show next year at all?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/froome-contador-two-greatest-rivals-says-nicolas-roche-154542

Unless my comprehension skills have hit an all time low, I didn't read anything in that article where Roche stated or even implied that he knew any secrets or shared any useful insights that could be used in helping to defeat Contador.

Angliru said:
Unless my comprehension skills have hit an all time low, I didn't read anything in that article where Roche stated or even implied that he knew any secrets or shared any useful insights that could be used in helping to defeat Contador.

It's talked about. It's also hinted at in a similar manner in this article which is referenced in the cyclingweekly one as well.

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/12040/9683277/nicolas-roche-relishing-prospect-of-helping-chris-froome-beat-alberto-contador-at-tour-de-france

Electress said:
:cool:

What made me laugh about that article is the revelation of just how into the details AC was?looks like he's been using 'marginal gains' all along?

I hope not, though. Maybe I'm naive, but I think it's probably more psychological than actual with this kind of stuff. Surely training tactics and regimes are very much geared/ nuanced to each rider, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other.

Would he know the kind of numbers AC achieves in training? It's not like Roche was his coach? I just have no idea how much of this is common currency across the team?

Maybe Roche has revealed how Alberto takes his coffee? :cool:

I dont recall where I read it or heard it, but Contador doesnt share his training data with anyone other than De Jongh (sp), and Roche was never part of AC's inner circle so far as I can tell. All of that is to say, I dont know that Roche has any meaningful information to share.

Publicus said:
I dont recall where I read it or heard it, but Contador doesnt share his training data with anyone other than De Jongh (sp), and Roche was never part of AC's inner circle so far as I can tell. All of that is to say, I dont know that Roche has any meaningful information to share.

Exactly. If the only thing Roche shared is that Alberto is very professional and studies tyre pressures, I don't think that is going to help Sky too much.

You're right, it was some kind of interview in which it was stated not all coaches know Alberto's training data, Alberto only shares it with De Jongh and Riis AFAIK.

High praise for Aru! Plus some pressure :).

Alberto Contador's rival and heir

Alberto Contador has named Aru as his heir after seeing the Sardinian race at the Vuelta last year. The two are physically very similar and equally aggressive. Of course, Contador is far better in time trials and has several Grand Tour victories on his palmares.

Aru admits he still has to get used to the idea of racing against Contador.

?He jokingly called me campeon at the Vuelta and I had to pinch myself when I was first racing against him. He's always been my idol,? Aru reveals.

?I think he's a really nice person and even being asked if I can take him on him at the Giro sounds strange. Were talking about a great of the sport.?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/interview-aru-ready-to-take-on-contador-at-the-giro-ditalia

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Of the current "young group" of riders. Aru reminds me of AC. AC probably thinks the same. If Fabio probably can mature/refine his TT. In the future he can be a real terror! the other rider who is coming on strong big time IMHO is Majka. He probably learned more about himself and his future last season. My dark horse rider to watch is Davide Formolo. Curious to see what he does at Garmin Cannondale. If I was SKY that would be the one I would be looking to pick up.

Back to AC & Aru. Alberto being a gentleman and complimenting Aru is a class move. A rider of AC stature in the Peleton. Can see another future rider. And being humble and complimentary is a great example to the young guns.

thehook said:
Of the current "young group" of riders. Aru reminds me of AC. AC probably thinks the same. If Fabio probably can mature/refine his TT. In the future he can be a real terror! the other rider who is coming on strong big time IMHO is Majka. He probably learned more about himself and his future last season. My dark horse rider to watch is Davide Formolo. Curious to see what he does at Garmin Cannondale. If I was SKY that would be the one I would be looking to pick up.

Back to AC & Aru. Alberto being a gentleman and complimenting Aru is a class move. A rider of AC stature in the Peleton. Can see another future rider. And being humble and complimentary is a great example to the young guns.

I like Aru. If we must have an heir to Alberto, then Aru is fine in my book. Not so fond of Majka, but I don't know much about him tbh; might warm to him after a bit.

Always baffles me a bit when I find people don't like Alberto, he seems such a genuinely nice guy. Some much better paid sporting superstars could learn a thing or two about how to conduct themselves. It is no surprise to find he's said this kind of thing. I think he's right, too.

damn - he's already that fit so early in the season !!!!:eek:

:D

10372017_10153204190960312_36210312935222905_n.jpg

TRENDING THREADS