• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 913 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Mayomaniac said:
Westeros only is the continet with the 7 kingdoms and the Wildlings, the big continent across the narrow see is called Essos.
I know,I didnt want to complicate it for those who are not involved :) (btw trailer is out)
LaFlorecita said:
Bjarne Riis has yet to reveal his deadliest servant. The one who will lead the Danish armies in war. The one they say no living man can drop. Alberto Contador of Pinto. You've met him before. He stabbed Andy's chain at Port de Bales. He is the lord of Saxobank, the greatest of the Nine. :D
oh my ohh my,I agree with Red rick:D

LaFlorecita said:
Bjarne Riis has yet to reveal his deadliest servant. The one who will lead the Danish armies in war. The one they say no living man can drop. Alberto Contador of Pinto. You've met him before. He stabbed Andy's chain at Port de Bales. He is the lord of Saxobank, the greatest of the Nine. :D

Great way to start my day, a hearty laugh after finally being able to log in again. The problems on this site are getting Old!!!

I'm so glad that Berto is back :).

LaFlorecita said:

Overhyped? Surely not! :D

Carols said:
Riis talks Alberto "?best rider he has ever seen.?

Be still my heart...the Double it Will Happen!!!

Plus Bjarne getting antsy about Alberto's contract being up :)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-contador-is-the-best-ive-ever-seen

Jelantik said:
If you want to be in Alberto's Gang, you'd better like chicken! :D

a nice interview with Hannah Grant - behind the food of TS

http://rouleur.cc/journal/performance/kitchen-confidential-cooking-contador-and-co

2 great interviews thanks for posting!

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
What GT will Majka do this year? I was hoping he would lead a GT this year as last year his TDF(with the Giro in his legs) was great. I would think someone like Majka will not want to be a dom when he is still young surely he will have to leave soon?. Kreuziger i hope gets sorted though he is my fav rider on Saxo.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Netserk said:
He'll do Tour-Vuelta. Better to be a dom when you're 25 instead of when you're 30.

Who knows mate he from Poland he may peak earlier. Majka would lead for around 3 WT teams. Remember he was not happy about doing the TDF in first place. You honestly think he would like to dom the TDF? Im sure he would rather lead for someone like Lotto and get his choice. It is same with Porte he will probably be gone if he has a bounce back year.

TANK91 said:
Who knows mate he from Poland he may peak earlier. Majka would lead for around 3 WT teams. Remember he was not happy about doing the TDF in first place. You honestly think he would like to dom the TDF? Im sure he would rather lead for someone like Lotto and get his choice. It is same with Porte he will probably be gone if he has a bounce back year.

His riding the Tour and his resulting performance was probably the highlight of his career. As posted earlier he will get his opportunity at the Vuelta. You're right that he would lead for quite a few of the WT teams, I think more than 3 actually but at present he has to wait his turn especially on a team with a rider that has the record that Contador does.

As far as Porte goes, I recall him mentioning that he's quite happy at Sky and he would be hesitant to jump ship because of that, even if that would mean more opportunities for him. I'll try to track down the article.

Angliru said:
His riding the Tour and his resulting performance was probably the highlight of his career. As posted earlier he will get his opportunity at the Vuelta. You're right that he would lead for quite a few of the WT teams, I think more than 3 actually but at present he has to wait his turn especially on a team with a rider that has the record that Contador does.

As far as Porte goes, I recall him mentioning that he's quite happy at Sky and he would be hesitant to jump ship because of that, even if that would mean more opportunities for him. I'll try to track down the article.

If porte ever manage to finish a gt without several bad days he might have a reason to leave Sky, but as of now there is no reason for him to find a new team. It fits him nicely to brag about how great Sky are every time he does well (Ax 3 in 2013) and then dissapear in the shadows when he ****s up (multiple stages in every gt)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Contador will retire this year if he wins the double

Then after a year he'll come back to crush them all again for one more time.

I believe this will happen.

Vino attacks everyone said:
If porte ever manage to finish a gt without several bad days he might have a reason to leave Sky, but as of now there is no reason for him to find a new team. It fits him nicely to brag about how great Sky are every time he does well (Ax 3 in 2013) and then dissapear in the shadows when he ****s up (multiple stages in every gt)

I'm sure there are teams that would take him for his potential in grand tours alone and for what he will bring in week long stage races. IMO they'd be taking a chance on him as their leader in the grand tours, especially at his age. He's what, 30 years old, and his best gt finish is a 7th at the Giro 5 years ago? He's ideally a high level domestique for a true grand tour contender and his grand tour performances up till now just doesn't warrant him to be talked up as a gc contender the way the anglo media tries to build him up.

Miburo said:
I'm pretty sure Contador will retire this year if he wins the double

I dunno; I'm a bit torn. I think he could, but the timing of all these articles does make me wonder. Sure, he doesn't need the money, but he will want the best terms - and assurances of the best possible team - if he continues. Plus something to play for. So yeah, string out the deliberations...

The whole idea is :( I hoped we'd have him for a couple of years longer especially given the form he had last year. The 'what might have been if' if he leaves after doing the double in 2015 will be horrible.

I hope he won't retire and come back again. He saw what happened when LA did. I'm not sure he's that kind of guy, tbh. I think he'll have an idea what he would want to move on to and do it.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see him race 2016 and 2017 if he is up for it. 2017 Giro is the 100th edition if I'm not mistaken? That would be something cool to aim for. Not mention more Vueltas... And some random shorter stage races he doesn't have yet that he might have interest in.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LA's comeback wasn't that bad at all. Ok it was most likely the reason he got exposed in the the clinic.

But his performance wasn't that bad at all for a 38 year old guy. Especially in the tour '09 he was rather impressive. I believe that he could even won that if AC wasn't there.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Btw one of Contador's most impressive records is that whenever he had the leader's jersey in a GT he never lost it. Which great rider can say that?

Miburo said:
LA's comeback wasn't that bad at all. Ok it was most likely the reason he got exposed in the the clinic.

But his performance wasn't that bad at all for a 38 year old guy. Especially in the tour '09 he was rather impressive. I believe that he could even won that if AC wasn't there.

Even with the benefit of the strongest team and the time gained in the ttt, Andy would've still put even more time into Armstrong in the mountains, especially on Ventoux, where both Contador and Andy were limited, unable to really ride for themselves. Armstrong didn't have the legs to respond to an attack by Andy. The only factor I can imagine is Andy's (and Frank's) tactical incompetence nullifying any advantage that they could've exploited on Armstrong.

Miburo said:
Btw one of Contador's most impressive records is that whenever he had the leader's jersey in a GT he never lost it. Which great rider can say that?

+100. To answer your question would take a great deal of research. It is a very impressive record indeed. I have a book on the history of the Tour that I bought about ten years ago that lists the yellow jersey holders for every stage of every TdF from the very first Tour to I believe the 2003 Tour. If I can find it I'll look into it.

Angliru said:
+100. To answer your question would take a great deal of research. It is a very impressive record indeed. I have a book on the history of the Tour that I bought about ten years ago that lists the yellow jersey holders for every stage of every TdF from the very first Tour to I believe the 2003 Tour. If I can find it I'll look into it.

That sounds like an interesting book. What is the name of it?

TRENDING THREADS