• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 929 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LaFlorecita said:
I know, it's just that he tried to sound and look very happy in the interviews, while it's obvious he's gutted

But that's a measure of the class of the guy - dignified and gracious in victory; dignified and gracious in defeat.

The thing that would bother me most about it all would actually be the feeling that I sat up and was a bit complacent in stage 3 which probably cost me the race. He won't do that again in a hurry. Bet that more than anything annoys the bejeezus out of him.

Electress said:
Come on, we're talking about a guy who has bounced back from adversary so many times that he's practically a rubber ball. One year, he was rubbish - relatively for his standard. How many times has he had to fight and come out on top - waaay more!

I fear Froome domination; really, the thought sickens me to the core. But there is no one - literally no one - I'd trust more to fight tooth and nail to win and be mentally strong than Contador. He's had aeons of time under very high pressure and won and won and won. He's not a fragile flower who will cave at the first sign things aren't going right! Please cheer up - one minor set back is nothing for this guy. And who says he's going to lose next time around??

I never claimed he will get depressed if he loses, however I think it would be better for him if he scores two wins instead of two losses. Of course he might prove me wrong and win Tirreno and Catalunya, but he's never shown he can beat Froome when he's at his best. Last year, in Catalunya, Froome came back after an illness and only lost by a couple seconds. At the Dauphin?, he was better, until he crashed. I believe it'll be very, very hard for Alberto to win those races against Froome. I'd rather see him ride Paris-Nice and Pais Vasco.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I never claimed he will get depressed if he loses, however I think it would be better for him if he scores two wins instead of two losses. Of course he might prove me wrong and win Tirreno and Catalunya, but he's never shown he can beat Froome when he's at his best. Last year, in Catalunya, Froome came back after an illness and only lost by a couple seconds. At the Dauphin?, he was better, until he crashed. I believe it'll be very, very hard for Alberto to win those races against Froome. I'd rather see him ride Paris-Nice and Pais Vasco.

But why can Contador win the Tour against Froome after a Giro?:confused:

Because a Tour is three weeks?

LaFlorecita said:
I think Alberto needs confirmation he's on the right way in the form of wins. You can say and think whatever you want but getting his *** kicked in every race isn't going to boost his confidence.

But he didn't get his *** kicked? He beat Froome in the tt, then beat him at the toughest MTF but then had a bad day and lost the lead with just 2 seconds. Im quite sure he knows himself that he could have taken those two seconds on the first MTF if really did matter.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Bushman said:
But he didn't get his *** kicked? He beat Froome in the tt, then beat him at the toughest MTF but then had a bad day and lost the lead with just 2 seconds. Im quite sure he knows himself that he could have taken those two seconds on the first MTF if really did matter.

But Froome lost the stage to Hazallanas because he was way too far back in the first 2 km's of the climb. And why did Contador had a bad day? Perhaps Froome just got a super day.

The thruth lies somewhere in the middle.

LaFlorecita said:

Has Froome ever shown he can beat Contador at his best?

The one thing I don't think would do him any favours is to run scared and not race against Froome. The die is cast; he took on the double. He's got to stick to the programme and see it through. Running away would do nothing for his morale - he'd know he'd walked away from the fight. He's just not that guy. Not even in 2013.

Would it be better if he won T-A and Catalunya? Would it ever! But you know, he might well. You can bet he'll be working his *** off now. Maybe he won't win, but so many things can happen to affect both riders before either the Tour or Giro. There are no guarantees for either guy. The Dauphine promised a lot that the year didn't deliver because of ill luck. And who in hell would have ever believed that AC would be the guy to recover and win the Vuelta in the circumstances? He had a much more serious injury to recover from, and yet there he was.

I think the 'he's never beaten Froome on top form' stuff doesn't help much. I don't think it is all that common for two protagonists to ever meet at their absolute best. A few times it happens and creates something legendary, but usually, there is a reason one or other is weaker. I suspect we may never see it, and that question will remain forever unanswered in the minds of some. When people are close in ability, they only need a marginal slip from form to be found out.

Edit: The one thing that does knaw away at me a little morale / mentally re. Contador, is whether all this talk of retiring there's been is actually a reflection of how he's feeling about cycling now. When you've had enough, sometimes, you really just have had enough, even if you do want to still want to sacrifice and rise to a challenge one more time. But that's my fear; no reason to believe it from anything I've seen or heard.

Arredondo said:
But Froome lost the stage to Hazallanas because he was way too far back in the first 2 km's of the climb. And why did Contador had a bad day? Perhaps Froome just got a super day.

The thruth lies somewhere in the middle.

Froome himself has said his days were comparable and that it was Alberto who diminished from one to the next. Why - well, I don't have the answer, other than it's early season and these things happen. There's clearly more to do for them both.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Electress said:
Well, obviously it's a bit of a come down from the happiness of yesterday, but weirdly, AC actually looks cheerier in those pics. today than yesterday - when he looked a bit subdued! Not saying that's what he's really feeling, mind?though as ever, he's as gracious in defeat as victory.

I did have initial knee-jerk reaction horrors of living through a year of 2013-like Froome domination - on every level a Dantean-hell for me, given I live in the UK. But after the initial gut-wrenching disappointment, I'm fairly relaxed now. I hate AC losing, (to Froome more than anybody), but it doesn't take away what he did yesterday. At least there's no chance of any complacency and it'll be that thorn to work even harder. I believe him that yesterday he was testing; seeing how he was feeling, and paid the price today.

I agree life would be easier emotionally if AC would oblige by winning everything, all the time, by a scintillating display of his utter domination and panache, but that is not a realistic expectation, even of the Great One.

Kudos too to Froome. Whatever my feelings about the guy, there's no doubt he's a worthy adversary. He showed admirable mental fortitude and pacing yesterday and rode the better race today. Credit where credit is due.

i share your sentiment too. Even Froome says it too. It's tough to see alberto lost by 2 seconds. But it's february and I have already been treated with a great battle. It's nice to see people don't show up just to wear arm warmer and soft pedaling the entire race. July is still a long way to go. Enjoy the battle while it happens.

here's what froome said about contador:
Comparing his defeat on Friday's mountain stage to Saturday's bounce-back at Allanadas, Froome said, there wasn't so much of a change for me. It was more Alberto changed in the two days. I rode quite a consistent two stages and Alberto probably had a bit of a bad day yesterday [Saturday].

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I know, it's just that he tried to sound and look very happy in the interviews, while it's obvious he's gutted

he is a competitor, surely somewhere he's kicking himself out. Winning surely would be nice especially when you lost only by 2 seconds. But would you rather win small race against your adversary and lost the Tour/Giro?

as far as alberto never beats Froome at his best? Maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong. But we haven't seen both of them go head to head with the same peak condition. So it's hard to agree with that statement. All I can say, may the best man win.:)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
People are now able to set the whole cycling hierarchy thanks to a little february race, and 2 seconds :eek:
They can now answer who is the best climber, and predict every damn thing that is going to happen in 2015 all that because of one day . Isn't this Forum amazing. Forgetting that the day before AC just had won not going full throttle, and had a better TT. He was apparently too good too early, now he is too bad to even pretend winning anything this year.

On top of that, not gonna mention that some people don't even know what AC is able to do at his best, and how long he can sustain a peak of form.

Why even bother with some random guy who pretends AC can't do the Double, first his opinion doesn't matter, his thinking isn't gonna affect in any way what's going to happen- and just state AC ffs "The double is impossible until someone makes it possible" , that's it.

Arredondo said:

yes, I think Alberto's recovery is better, and in those three weeks it is more likely that Froome will have an off-day or get ill or crash, than in one week. Besides, there's the cobble stage and potential echelons that can be an advantage for Alberto over Froome.

http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/con...current-shape-second-place-overall-andalucia/

?I?m pleased with the progression of my shape. Actually, I?m a bit surprised to be at this level at this part of the early season. I?m not too far in my preparations, but I see my performance on the stage that I won and in the time trial as a sign that I?m ready to reach for my main season objectives?, says Alberto Contador and adds:

?Two seconds separated me from the win, but today there was little I could do to take back time on Froome. But the most important aspect is that my preparations for my main objectives are going perfect. It wouldn?t have changed anything if I had won, as we still need to prepare for the next goals with the same concentration no matter what?.

?There are especially three highlights that we?ll take with us from this race. First off, Alberto performance on the short time trial, then his and the entire team?s efforts on the day we won on Hazallanas and finally the overall teamwork and harmony of this group. Petrov, Tosatto and Valgren spent a lot of time at the front, where they practically controlled the race and Basso, Hernandez and Paulinho delivered in the finales?, concludes Steven de Jongh, who once again accompanies Contador into action at Tirreno-Adriatico at the beginning of March.

Arredondo said:

Contador has excellent powers of recovery, sustains form well over a race and has history of sustaining form over the season as well - the post Giro 2011 Tour, for all he didn't win it, was hardly a bust and there were plenty of things that went wrong for him in that race.

Plus there's always lots of random aspects in cycling, and I think Froome is more vulnerable to them on the whole - because of weaker bike handling skills, he has had more accidents. He and his team also seem less flexible and less tactically good. So yes, however difficult it may be, I believe in principle, Contador is able to beat him even given the Giro. But it won't be a walk in the park. Nor will Froome having to race a post-Giro Contador be some kind of walkover, even if Contador turns out to be weaker than I'd like.

with the angel there, it will be hard for alberto i reckon

to be ontopic, i though alberto will softpedal this vuelta to be honest. good for us then,he went ballistic instead. i think in tirreno he should target only the stage win, he won that race before. keep energy for giro-tour!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
You guys shouldn't be too concerned with fleur, she's always like this when he loses.

If AC would have won, she would be whining that he's too early in shape.

He's definitely gonna try and win T-A, that i'm sure off.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
no, just no. every race matters.

Yes, but going full gas against Froome at Tirreno and Catalunya could mess up is preparation for the double, he could end up being in peak shape at the beginning of the Giro, i think he should use the "easy" first 2 weeks of the Giro to build a nice form, the hard stages ar in the 3rd week and the ITT at the end of the 2nd week. He wouldn't totally dominate the Giro but i think his form at the Tour would be better.