• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 930 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Miburo said:
You guys shouldn't be too concerned with flo, she's always like this when he loses.

If AC would have won, she would be whining that he's too early in shape.

He's definitely gonna try and win T-A, that i'm sure off.

So, its healthy behaviour when your mood is aways heavily affected by your favourite athlete not winning a sh!t small race that won't affect the rest of the season whatsoever.

Red Rick said:
So, its healthy behaviour when your mood is aways heavily affected by your favourite athlete not winning a sh!t small race that won't affect the rest of the season whatsoever.

It's CWD :D just kidding, but seriously, there are loads of people very passionate about a sports team or an athlete, big deal
I don't see the difference between me being peeed when Alberto loses, and my good pal Havetts being peeed when Feyenoord (or Gesink to a lesser extent ;)) loses ;) I don't think it's very important, except maybe for myself as I don't like being so emotionally invested, but honestly just ignore me when I go off on one ;)

PS - I generally try to keep my whinging on twitter and Velorooms as much as possible - twitter because many people actually feel the same way as I do and it's always better to cry together ;) and Velorooms because the people are just generally nicer and more patient over there :p FFS even Mellow Velo can stand my anti-Froome whining on there :D

(I am writing this in a separate post because I ran out of smilies - why can't we have unlimited smilies! :eek:)

LaFlorecita said:
It's CWD :D just kidding, but seriously, there are loads of people very passionate about a sports team or an athlete, big deal
I don't see the difference between me being peeed when Alberto loses, and my good pal Havetts being peeed when Feyenoord (or Gesink to a lesser extent ) loses ;) I don't think it's very important, except maybe for myself as I don't like being so emotionally invested, but honestly just ignore me when I go off on one
It'd be easier to ignore you if you disconnected yourself from the internet when you go doom-shroom-mode ;) :)

LaFlorecita said:
I don't see the difference between me being peeed when Alberto loses, and my good pal Havetts being peeed when Feyenoord (or Gesink to a lesser extent ;)) loses ;) I don't think it's very important, except maybe for myself as I don't like being so emotionally invested, but honestly just ignore me when I go off on one ;)

LaFlo, I admire your honesty and I do sympathise. I was utterly gutted at the time and probably just as prone to gloomy imaginings as you at first. Glad to hear you seem more sanguine; it probably isn't exactly healthy to care this much but it is what it is! As you say, there are plenty of people who's whole lives appear to revolve around their football team and drown their sorrows or live their victories every single week.

In this case, it is heightened because of hope and expectations over the winter and for the giro/tour and probably not helped, at least for me, by the knowledge that there won't be many more seasons left in cycling for AC. I'm honestly not sure whether I will be able to stand watching cycling if we are in for years of Sky domination. And I've watched since I was a kid, so I'm no newbie. But we shall see.

But initial reaction over, there's really little reason for imagining the worse will come to pass. Let's hope we can look back on this as a teeny tiny blip at the beginning of an epic season!

(And, as you say, what else is the internet for if not for pouring out the highs and lows - there's plenty of worse gloating / trolling behaviour on these forums. At least you care about it, not just want to stir the pot to annoy people for your own amusement.)

Red Rick said:
Because they expect us to act like 12 year olds if they remove the limit, which a lot of us will probably do

z6VMWU8.png
z6VMWU8.png
z6VMWU8.png
z6VMWU8.png

LaFlorecita said:
I am convinced those two are not on the same level as Froome and Contador.

I think it is safe to say that the Nibali who won his last two GTs is not the same rider from the 2012 Tour. I think he will definitely be a threat and is a more all round talent than Quintana. He won the Tour on one leg and was never threatened. I will be surprised if he is not seriously challenging in July. Contador's best days are behind him while Nibali is just hitting his best years. Quintana on his best form will also provide plenty of interest.

movingtarget said:
I think it is safe to say that the Nibali who won his last two GTs is not the same rider from the 2012 Tour. I think he will definitely be a threat and is a more all round talent than Quintana. He won the Tour on one leg and was never threatened. I will be surprised if he is not seriously challenging in July. Contador's best days are behind him while Nibali is just hitting his best years. Quintana on his best form will also provide plenty of interest.

There is so much that is wrong with this post that I don't even know where to begin.

First if Contador and Froome arrive in top shape and there isn't Paris-Roubaix in the rain on the third stage, then Nibali will likely be riding for third place. I can't see him dropping either on the big climbs, or going faster in the TTs. The only reason why he seemed to win with "one leg" last year is because those two fell off. Throw in a top Quintana and the podium becomes a real battle for the Sicilian.

Second he himself has said that repeating in July will be "very complicated", which is a tacet admission of the uniqueness of last year's circumstances (both as regards par course and the competition as it wound up).

Lastly Contador's best years are not behind him. Last year, even with crashing our of the Tour, was his best season as far as consistency is concerned, which is saying something for one who was not new to winning from March till September.

In any event the Tour is a long way off, but one thing is for sure: the pressure to win again will be tremendous.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Lastly Contador's best years are not behind him. Last year, even with crashing our of the Tour, was his best season as far as consistency is concerned, which is saying something for one who was not new to winning from March till September.

I think his best years are behind him. Thats what my eyes tell me, attacking RAsmussen and the Verbier images I dont see that degree of sustained explosion in Contador anymore and thats a given as he ages. Attacking on Stage 3 from outside 5k to go, surprised me a little bit and I really enjoyed it. He is doing this less and less as the years go by. MY gut feel even without this little stage race is that he wins the Giro and does not win the Tour. Although Alberto tried the double before and he seemed tired i dont know why he thinks he can do it now. I sure hope he can win, for me nothing is better than watching Contador drop his rivals in the mountains.

contador977 said:
I think his best years are behind him. Thats what my eyes tell me, attacking RAsmussen and the Verbier images I dont see that degree of sustained explosion in Contador anymore and thats a given as he ages. Attacking on Stage 3 from outside 5k to go, surprised me a little bit and I really enjoyed it. He is doing this less and less as the years go by. MY gut feel even without this little stage race is that he wins the Giro and does not win the Tour. Although Alberto tried the double before and he seemed tired i dont know why he thinks he can do it now. I sure hope he can win, for me nothing is better than watching Contador drop his rivals in the mountains.

There is an asterisk to your analysis: there was a serious setback along the way and, then, the competition got tougher: either by a guy like Rodriquez finding his game, or Froome becoming the force he has. The latter now has presented a new standard.

I don't care at which point in his career, against this Froome, Contdor is never going to win with a long attack as in pre clen. Froome is simply too strong for any human being to be able to sustain the watts necessary to do it.

Going from 7 k out and winning the other day was probably a) an anomaly because the first race of the year and b) ultimately not the best tactic, given what subsequently happened.

Now, having said that, I think a peak Contador today, with the right tactic can still beat Froome at the Tour. But he has to not loose much time in the TT and make Froome repeatedly try to drop him unsuccessfully and then finish him off as last year at the Vuelta. Contador seems to be able to resist a top Froome in top shape, until otherwise proven, and still have something left in the tank to drop him, however marginally. I think that's the approach he needs to take, not brazen attacks from far out. Against Froome those days are over it seems.

rhubroma said:
Second he himself has said that repeating in July will be "very complicated", which is a tacet admission of the uniqueness of last year's circumstances (both as regards par course and the competition as it wound up).
Was he supposed to say that'll be a piece of cake? :confused: Has anybody else ever said anything different?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Uh no. I would say I am sure De Jongh and Alberto know what they're doing.
And I don't think I gave you permission to use my name. It's a public forum.

Then why don't you have faith now? Contador says he's happy with this, and he's gonna become way way better.

Its pretty weird to see people think longe range attacks are less frequent, especially given the fact that he did go from 20k+ km at least 3 times last year. And the explosion is there, just look at his PV win last year.

The only bad thing he started to do is that he never rides within himself trying to follow someone, so when he gets dropped, he gets dropped really hard

Red Rick said:
Its pretty weird to see people think longe range attacks are less frequent, especially given the fact that he did go from 20k+ km at least 3 times last year. And the explosion is there, just look at his PV win last year.

The only bad thing he started to do is that he never rides within himself trying to follow someone, so when he gets dropped, he gets dropped really hard

Ok, but not against Froome. Hey if he is able to do it then that's great, but given the limits of human performance (and Froome has demonstrated, it seems, to come very close the them), I think there needs to be a more realistic and tactical approach.

TRENDING THREADS