• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 971 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
I don't really care that much if he wins the tour, i just wanna see him again in pink.

The best color in cycling.
Yes I agree. I really want to see him win the Giro again. Giro is my favorite race :)
And Alberto looks really good in pink :D

No arguments here. :D

Carols said:
Carol responded to you with the tech stuff above and I want to add that even the greatest champions remain human and their performance is affected by "external " pressures and events that do not necessarily enhance the benefits of the training method they select in a particular season. I happen to believe that "external adversity" always stimulated Alberto to provide us with great performances. (troubles with Astana- the brain injuries- amstrong's and Bruynel betrayal). But in 2013, (and mind you, i am not implying complaisance here ) with a new domestic life, and other out of sport obligations his performance never rose to the level needed to win races. And then again, since i don't know him intimately, my whole theory could be mistaken.

I didn't see any response, just this post. I'm sure I would find your response interesting, please repost!

Yes I totally agree, he is human and can sometimes use adversity to his benefit. He seems to keep his personal and professional life distanced. We never see his wife! Once in a while his dogs LOL! I dread the day he becomes a father because that might distract him. So hopefully the baby Contadors will wait until after 2016 :). Meanwhile we need to see how the absence of Bjarne and the machinations of Oleg have affected his spirit and legs......

I agree, I think AC is someone who rises to the occasion when he feels he has something to prove; it seems to give him extra drive. Indeed, I think he suffers if there isn't enough of a challenge, which is why the Double is on. Can't be easy to maintain the hunger for victory and make all the sacrifices of training if it's just winning the same ole race. Nevertheless, I'm a little worried, because the team has seemed a bit ropey, but I'm hoping he's timed things right.

As for being human and keeping his personal life distant - well, damn, good for him! One of the things I like best about him is that he seems to understanding the meaning of a private life and not trade it for column inches or a Hello magazine spread. Makes a pleasant change. So, no, I don't think we'll see family Contador until after retirement - suspect that might be part of the 'living life'.

Why anyone thought he wouldn't race the Giro honestly beats me. :confused:

Carols said:
Carol responded to you with the tech stuff above and I want to add that even the greatest champions remain human and their performance is affected by "external " pressures and events that do not necessarily enhance the benefits of the training method they select in a particular season. I happen to believe that "external adversity" always stimulated Alberto to provide us with great performances. (troubles with Astana- the brain injuries- amstrong's and Bruynel betrayal). But in 2013, (and mind you, i am not implying complaisance here ) with a new domestic life, and other out of sport obligations his performance never rose to the level needed to win races. And then again, since i don't know him intimately, my whole theory could be mistaken.

I didn't see any response, just this post. I'm sure I would find your response interesting, please repost!

Yes I totally agree, he is human and can sometimes use adversity to his benefit. He seems to keep his personal and professional life distanced. We never see his wife! Once in a while his dogs LOL! I dread the day he becomes a father because that might distract him. So hopefully the baby Contadors will wait until after 2016 :). Meanwhile we need to see how the absence of Bjarne and the machinations of Oleg have affected his spirit and legs......

Argh!.. I don't know what happened. I get all mixed up with the new format still .. but my comment was directed at RM7 and I thought I would mention you answered his question already.

Dedelou said:
Carols said:

Argh!.. I don't know what happened. I get all mixed up with the new format still .. but my comment was directed at RM7 and I thought I would mention you answered his question already.

LOL I misread your post, my problem not yours :eek:

LaFlorecita said:
I like both versions :)
giro-stage12-9.jpg

:confused:

I can't see contador in this pic.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll do an avatar with anyone, i don't care what pic i've to use for this year.

Contador will take twice at least a minute on anyone in a MTF in the giro and win with at least 3 min. Not more since he's not gonna try hard.

Re:

Miburo said:
I'Giroo an avatar with anyone, i don't care what pic i've to use for this year.

Contador will take twice at least a minute on anyone in a MTF in the giro and win with at least 3 min. Not more since he's not gonna try hard.
I'm basically agree. I'm sure he'll show again shape of the last year and wins "easy" the Giro

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:

After confirming that this didn't happen even once in the Giro 2011, I will take the other side of this bet. Winning a MTF with a gap of 1 minute or more is simply very rare.

I wager that either Froome or Quintana will drop Contador for at least 30 seconds on a climb, at least twice, in the Tour.

SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

After confirming that this didn't happen even once in the Giro 2011, I will take the other side of this bet. Winning a MTF with a gap of 1 minute or more is simply very rare.

I wager that either Froome or Quintana will drop Contador for at least 30 seconds on a climb, at least twice, in the Tour.

When was the last time any gt contender actually won an mtf by a minute. Even Verbier wasn't a minute. Even Froome on AX3 wasn't a minute (well it was but not to Porte).

The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

When was the last time any gt contender actually won an mtf by a minute. Even Verbier wasn't a minute. Even Froome on AX3 wasn't a minute (well it was but not to Porte).

Nibali on Hautacam?

DFA123 said:
The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

Nibali on Hautacam?
That tells you all you need to know about his competition in that race :D

In the Tour:

Alpe d'Huez '01, '03, '04 & '08.
Plateau de Beille '02.
Pla d'Adet '01.
(Tignes '07)
(Galibier '11)

Armstrong was more than a minute ahead of his nearest rival on Ventoux in 2002 as well, though a break took the stage. Hautacam last year has already been mentioned.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

I don't see anyone capable of being even close to Contador. That simple really.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Miburo said:
The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
Miburo said:

I don't see anyone capable of being even close to Contador. That simple really.

And the field in the giro 2011 was way better than this.

I think Porte will collaps. Aru and Uran are a joke in a GT vs contador

When Alberto first won the Giro in 2008
he didn't win a single stage
he had some tough days defending his GC chances.
Sella, and Ricco' both won two stages - but later got caught for being too obvious.
Alberto was then quite capable of saving himself and letting others
do the fireworks while still winning GC.

Could be like that this year - with TdF to consider too.

En-France-le-Giro-reste-dans-l-ombre-de-la-Grande-Boucle_article_popin.jpg

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Sella, and Ricco' both won two stages - but later got caught for being too obvious.

The interesting thing about this pic is that he was a bit fat back then too :p

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador should haver never won that gt, one of the big stages he dropped early on one of the mountains but they let him come back. And he lost barely time at the end of that stage, very impressive from him but at the same time *** from his opponents.

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:

Almost 7 years ago :eek:

TRENDING THREADS