• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1001 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

ray j willings said:
I am a big Bertie fan and I am not as convinced as some of you. IMO Bertie did not look that at ease. I think a top form Bertie would have made that attack stick. I do still think he his strong enough to win but for me he does not look anywhere near as sharp as he did for most of last season.
I hope I am wrong and like Hitch said it could have been a tactical move. He also could have the Tour in the back of his mind and not thinking about reaching top top form until July. I hope so.
He almost did. But Porte dragged Aru back. Afterwards he looked very much in control, and he could've won the sprint for 3rd, had Aru not had that right turn to squeeze him in with.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Contador looks determined, but it's almost certain this Giro will take out of him more than he's been hoping it will.
Astana and Aru will push him further than he pushed himself in 2011.. And there's Richie, too.

The route in -11 was one of the most difficult ones, even on Giro's scale.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Contador looks determined, but it's almost certain this Giro will take out of him more than he's been hoping it will.
Astana and Aru will push him further than he pushed himself in 2011.. And there's Richie, too.

Aru looked like he was going to get dropped toward the end of Alberto's acceleration. I dont think Porte can hang with Aru and Contador in the 3rd week. I dont think Aru can follow Alberto on the long steep climbs. I think u can make a case for Alberto bluffing in the snow when Quintana attacked and won at Tirreno. He closed the gap to about 10 feet and then let off the gas...whether or not he didnt want to tow others, he was gased or bluffing who knows. I thought his attack was strong today....on a long climb, Im not sure anyone can follow 2-3 of those attacks. Aru I think will finish second, Porte 3rd. One good day in the mountains for Alberto and its over for those 2. If they drop Contador ill be very surprised but ill tip my hat.

267-PIC536275634.jpg

:)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

WheelofGear said:
https://twitter.com/robhatchtv

If you want to grill him after what he did.
What is it he did?

The Giro is good. It's so much more exciting when there is a sustained duel, or in this case, truel, as opposed to some Armstrong esque rider killing everyone and the race at the first MTF.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
WheelofGear said:

What is it he did?

The Giro is good. It's so much more exciting when there is a sustained duel, or in this case, truel, as opposed to some Armstrong esque rider killing everyone and the race at the first MTF.

No, I love watching Bertie giving Froome a beating , not the beating he deserves but the beating he needed :D

Re:

WheelofGear said:

It's just part of the ES package, and it wasn't just Alberto. He also managed to mention 'all the unfortunate rumours surrounding Aru' on the last 5 k.

The above picture should be censored on the grounds of bad taste.

Ex-sprinter Mario Cipollini made waves Wednesday when he suggested during the post-stage RAI TV broadcast that riders shouldn’t change their bikes mid-stage ahead of key mountaintop finales.

Why? Cipollini suggested that it’s “bad for the image of cycling, because people think there’s a motor in it.”

Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo) just laughed off that line, especially since he was the target of Cipollini’s barb. With about 35km to go, Contador eased off the roadway for a planned bike change ahead of the Giro’s first major mountaintop finish.

“There are a lot of reasons to change a bike. Like tubulars, which [may] not be able to be raced for 200km, but they can last for 30km or 40km,” said Contador, before joking. “My bikes don’t have one motor. They have five. And this talk of motors? That’s a joke, that’s something from science fiction.”

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/contador-laughs-off-bike-motor-rumors-spread-by-cipollini_369990#JDjmMDtZGpTwlWVL.99
:D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Metabolol said:
Yeah, I don't really understand why they signed Basso. Why not bring in some younger climbing talent? Maybe a south american climber.

oleg spent too much money buying sagan. Now, he is complaining about Sagan. It's like having a buyer remorse. As far as basso, maybe it has something to do with Riis. But still, even if Oleg wants russian, why can't he got someone as good as katusha riders? wrong russian I guess. I wonder, why they don't buy tirolongo instead of Basso. He is old but he is a beast day in and out. Or someone like michael Landa. Astana team seems really strong with no one in a house hold name. I guess, they finally get the right recipe of finding the right talent w/o paying too much money.

Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
hfer07 said:
well - I guess today's performance put to rest all the nonsense about his form :)

I just hope now with the Maglia Rosa He can switch shoe colors to something more pleasing!! :)

you mean pink shoes? :D

Pink for sure IF he wears full pink kit :)
if not -any Color but Black ;) Nothing against the color (just in case anyone gets wrong ideas) simply those shoes look horrible with the rest of the Kit.

TRENDING THREADS