• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1002 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I am reading Alberto wants to give away the jersey to someone else tomorrow - I hope not :(

why not? it's unwise to get the jersey so early. He will have to burn his team before 3rd week. I'm more curious who TS will give the jersey to? Astana is the closes one. Or visconti who sits 56 seconds. But I bet Aru won't let Visconti go that easy? Maybe davide farmolo again :D That kid would be on the moon, if he dons the pink jersey!!

“I didn’t think I’d have the pink jersey so early in the race, as the main objective is to wear it in Milan at the final stage of the Giro. This is just a taste of what is to come, as the race is just getting started. Of course I’m really happy to be in the pink jersey because everybody knows how much I like the Giro d’Italia and how big an experience this jersey is – also for me. We might not try too hard to keep it, for now, but it will be up to the others to take it away from me”, says Alberto Contador before elaborating on what is to come.

He's not giving it up..........

Re:

Carols said:
“I didn’t think I’d have the pink jersey so early in the race, as the main objective is to wear it in Milan at the final stage of the Giro. This is just a taste of what is to come, as the race is just getting started. Of course I’m really happy to be in the pink jersey because everybody knows how much I like the Giro d’Italia and how big an experience this jersey is – also for me. We might not try too hard to keep it, for now, but it will be up to the others to take it away from me”, says Alberto Contador before elaborating on what is to come.

He's not giving it up..........
:)

Later in the same article....

"I don't think it is too early to have the jersey. It would be a different story if we wanted to keep it all the way to Milan. We came to fight for victory on the last day. The jersey is a nice present for tomorrow, but then another rider can take it," he added.

Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
LaFlorecita said:
I am reading Alberto wants to give away the jersey to someone else tomorrow - I hope not :(

why not? it's unwise to get the jersey so early. He will have to burn his team before 3rd week. I'm more curious who TS will give the jersey to? Astana is the closes one. Or visconti who sits 56 seconds. But I bet Aru won't let Visconti go that easy? Maybe davide farmolo again :D That kid would be on the moon, if he dons the pink jersey!!
Because he's never lost the leader's jersey in a GT before, that's why. It would be a shame to just give that up.

Re:

Netserk said:

"I don't think it is too early to have the jersey. It would be a different story if we wanted to keep it all the way to Milan. We came to fight for victory on the last day. The jersey is a nice present for tomorrow, but then another rider can take it," he added.
yeah that's the quote I read :( stupid Berto, the team will control the race anyway

“I took the decision to attack on the final climb to test my rivals. I didn’t feel super, but the result and outcome was positive and by the end of the climb I felt as if I had good legs. We’ve distanced Uran but I also saw that Porte and Aru are in good shape”, adds Alberto Contador, who now leads Giro d’Italia with 2 seconds over Fabio Aru, who took bonus seconds on the line.

Indeed he wasn't feeling that well, but went anyway. The remark he made earlier in the interview to that effect is restated.

Now he knows his true opponents and they both looked very strong. He will not relinquish the jersey to either of them without a fight.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
LaFlorecita said:

Because he's never lost the leader's jersey in a GT before, that's why. It would be a shame to just give that up.

I still think he will deliberately let it go. As long as he didn't loose it like Dauphene last year, then I'm fine. I'm fine if he let it go on purpose. Besides, he said it's up to other rider to take it. So he might not just lay down and play dead that easy, sounded like he says take the jersey if you want, but you have to try to take it?

Jelantik said:
LaFlorecita said:

I still think he will deliberately let it go. As long as he didn't loose it like Dauphene last year, then I'm fine. I'm fine if he let it go on purpose. Besides, he said it's up to other rider to take it. So he might not just lay down and play dead that easy, sounded like he says take the jersey if you want, but you have to try to take it?
I'm not arguing he won't let it go. You asked why I think he shouldn't let it go, and I answered. :rolleyes:

Re:

Carols said:
“I took the decision to attack on the final climb to test my rivals. I didn’t feel super, but the result and outcome was positive and by the end of the climb I felt as if I had good legs. We’ve distanced Uran but I also saw that Porte and Aru are in good shape”, adds Alberto Contador, who now leads Giro d’Italia with 2 seconds over Fabio Aru, who took bonus seconds on the line.

Indeed he wasn't feeling that well, but went anyway. The remark he made earlier in the interview to that effect is restated.

Now he knows his true opponents and they both looked very strong. He will not relinquish the jersey to either of them without a fight.

And he said his legs improve at the end , this is important

Jack_89 said:
Carols said:

And he said his legs improve at the end , this is important

Very important! Attacking makes his legs feel better :D

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The pink fuscia, ultra blue and yellow fluorescent colors don't match together at all. Add to that the full black shoes and you have the most horrific outfit in motion. If he doesn't get new pink shorts, or new shoes, it's gonna be a joke :D

BlurryVII said:
The pink fuscia, ultra blue and yellow fluorescent colors don't match together at all. Add to that the full black shoes and you have the most horrific outfit in motion. If he doesn't get new pink shorts, or new shoes, it's gonna be a joke :D

I don't care what the kit looks like as long as the rest are only looking at his backside as he rides away :D

Re:

trevim said:
"Sometimes I get restless in a race" typical Velasco :D
Tactically it isn't that great to have pink at this point but hey it's Contador in pink so f**** tactics :)

Indeed :)

“I wasn’t thinking about attacking. I was there, looking at the other riders, and to tell the truth, I didn’t feel that great, but sometimes it’s hard for me to just stay in the group, and I went for it,” Contador said. “At the end of the day, it’s a good result. Urán lost a bit more time, as well as some other riders. Aru and Porte are very strong, but I think it’s a good situation after five days.”

He just can't help himself :D

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I think that Contador is in Vuelta 2014 form. He is not in top shape, but he's in the shape he wants to be. When he isn't at top level, he usually doesn't drop the other favourites on single MTF's. Like last year with Valverde and Rod, he couldn't drop them in stages with only one big mountain. He needs harder stages with 2-3 big mountains, then he'll put time into Porte and Aru.

He will improve and be very strong in the 3rd week. I think he will go all out on stage 8 to put some time into Porte to make sure he starts the 3rd week with the Pink jersey or an advantage over Porte and Aru. That way he can use the same tactic as he did against Froome in the last stages in the Vuelta 14.

And i also dont know why people think Porte will be a big favourite for the ITT. Contador could put time into Porte on that stage too. Think it's gonna be close between those two, within 10-15 second. Dont think Porte can beat him with over 20 seconds. Aru will loose 40-50 seconds to them.

It was a clever attack today. He needs to make sure Uran isn't a threat in the 3rd week, so he can only focus on Porte and Aru. It'll be easier to control.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Contador himself has repeatedly warned of Porte's time trialling, indicating that's what makes him dangerous. And indeed, the reigning Col'eze and Australian Time Trial Champion is probably pretty good against the clock. Contador has many good results in time trials over the years as well but I just don't think this one suits him. It's very long and fairly flat. Although I can't really understand why it would suit Porte either. He's a climber these days. Does his peculiar head provide a super good aero coefficient or something?

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Contador himself has repeatedly warned of Porte's time trialling, indicating that's what makes him dangerous. And indeed, the reigning Col'eze and Australian Time Trial Champion is probably pretty good against the clock. Contador has many good results in time trials over the years as well but I just don't think this one suits him. It's very long and fairly flat. Although I can't really understand why it would suit Porte either. He's a climber these days. Does his peculiar head provide a super good aero coefficient or something?
Contador's strength has always been his recovery--it's why he targets grand tours. I think given when the ITT is (stage 14) and how the stages have been raced to date (harder than expected going in), I think Contador won't be as disadvantage on the ITT as many of us contemplated at the start. that assumes he's not lost his recovery powers

Re:

SeriousSam said:

I expect Porte, Contador and Uran to do well in the TT but Aru is the one that has to gain some time in the mountains. Uran is already behind and has been sick so it's not looking good for him but he rode some great TTs last year and the year before.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:

now that I read again this article, seems that he can't help himself to get the taste of pink jersey :D . After all, orica keep the jersey and never actually defend it. TS has been doing the work anyway, might as well make it official. It does sound that he will let it go, but someone has to try to take it, dunno maybe breakaway needs to work harder to get it coz' he is not going to just throw it over the fence and let everyone grabs it.

btw what to make of his comment about Porte? On one hand, the media and people have been talking about how porte 2.0 is the new improved rider compare to what he used to be, maybe almost like as if he would be the next Froome? :p But contador seems to see it differently. Does that mean he has known Porte number sorta speak, and in his eyes, Porte isn't the level of Froome (whom he touted as his most tough rival to beat)? or maybe i read too much cycling news lately.. :D

As for Porte and how he viewed his former Australian teammate after five days of having Porte as a direct rival, Contador argued “he’s not changed so much as a rider, but he’s a lot more experienced and a lot thinner. His strong point is going to be the time trial.”

Publicus said:
SeriousSam said:
Contador's strength has always been his recovery--it's why he targets grand tours. I think given when the ITT is (stage 14) and how the stages have been raced to date (harder than expected going in), I think Contador won't be as disadvantage on the ITT as many of us contemplated at the start. that assumes he's not lost his recovery powers

I dont think it is his best strengh, he has showed himself proportionaly always stronger is one week tours than in a GT.

He has a good recovery, as he had a lot of strenghs, but the recovery, as another ones, could be improved for other riders.

What I must to say is that I like Contador each by day more. Now even is nice to read him, and of course as ever in the road he is clever and brave and has that strong attack of 5 km.

Anyway there are things that doent change, spanish speakers in TD saying he announced he was to attack and later he said his attacked wanst planned.

I think tomorrow or the day after tomorrow he will lose the maglia, or al least his team is not going to do anything to keep it.

TRENDING THREADS