• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1045 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No_Balls said:
Dude does hardly believe in himself either:

“I’ve worked for the time trial, it’s a different time trial to those of recent years. It’s long and usual. We also ride it after 13 hard stages, in the heat and now in the cold. I think it’ll all depend on what energy he have in our legs at the start. I'll give it everything but we’ll only know what will happen after the stage, not before it.

“It’s an advantage to know the times of the riders who start before me but everyone will give it their all. The differences will depend on the energy you have in your legs. The pink jersey won’t make a big difference.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru-savours-becoming-the-first-ever-sardinian-in-pink-at-the-giro-ditalia

Would have been nice to tell us the quote was from Aru :). I was totally going Alberto said that!!!! Then I saw the link had Aru's name in it. Hey at least he doesn't have to worry that Alberto will catch him, but Landa better watch out!

Carols said:
No_Balls said:

“I’ve worked for the time trial, it’s a different time trial to those of recent years. It’s long and usual. We also ride it after 13 hard stages, in the heat and now in the cold. I think it’ll all depend on what energy he have in our legs at the start. I'll give it everything but we’ll only know what will happen after the stage, not before it.

“It’s an advantage to know the times of the riders who start before me but everyone will give it their all. The differences will depend on the energy you have in your legs. The pink jersey won’t make a big difference.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aru-savours-becoming-the-first-ever-sardinian-in-pink-at-the-giro-ditalia

Would have been nice to tell us the quote was from Aru :). I was totally going Alberto said that!!!! Then I saw the link had Aru's name in it. Hey at least he doesn't have to worry that Alberto will catch him, but Landa better watch out!

Ah i am sorry. It was a direct response to Jelantiks previous message so i thought it was rather safe. But no worry, somewhere at a italian hotel there is a furious spaniard that someone had the nerve to take the pink. Aru feels that and apparently Martinelli does what he can to play down his captains chances.

No_Balls said:
Carols said:
No_Balls said:

Ah i am sorry. It was a direct response to Jelantiks previous message so i thought it was rather safe. But no worry, s
somewhere in a italian hotel there is a furious spaniard that someone had the nerve to take the pink. Aru feels that and apparently Martinelli does what he can to play down his captains chances.

I take minor issue with this part of your statement. Contador might have lost it, but Aru sure did not 'take it' from him!

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Carols said:
richwagmn said:
Carols said:
Okay so someone explain to me what is to be gained by saying you're injured if you are not? If I was competing I'd be much more likely to take it to the injured party. After all cycling is about finding weakness in your opponents and exploiting it to your advantage. So what is he gaining by saying he hurt his shoulder and leg that were already injured. I can see how it is very possible those 2 areas are worse then when he got on the bike this AM, after all he fell on previously injured body parts. But why say so?

Watching AC over the years, he always says how difficult something is going to be, how strong is opponents are, how he wasn't feeling the best, etc. This doesn't seem out of character for him.

Might it not have something to do with his confidence also? When I watched the interview today, he didn't look worried to me. He patiently took questions, gave good answers and seemed pretty at peace with himself.

Oh it's not out of character at all. I just haven't figured out what advantage it gives him! Good to know he looked looked at peace :). Foolishly I thought is was okay to go out today, so missed all the post race shows.

carol - my view is "keep 'em guessing," not unlike the manymany forumites' left shoulder diagnosis immediately following his crash last week. "it's bad,it's over!!" or "it's nothing, he's fine!" or "he's lying!" or "only if tendons separated!" or etc. etc. etc. i don't guess "what if, is he, ain't he?" for too long. i wait to see if alberto's legs do the real post-injury talking. or not. ;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
uh..oh.. cheer up everyone. Contador is not dead :D. Even if the mother luck loves the young sardinian and mick jagger better than him today, he is still confident for the rest of his Giro.

“Richie has placed a thousand bets on this stage, and so has Urán,” Contador said. “We’ll have to see how my shoulder holds up, but the most important thing these past few days is that my legs are starting to feel much better. The big difference in a grand tour is each rider’s ability to recover … No matter what happens, this time trial will not decide the Giro.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/contador-saturdays-time-trial-will-not-decide-the-giro_371198#QgYtpvJdvZgHt4rr.99

He might or might not loose time, but he is confident that the race will be decided in the mountain. For that, let the fireworks begins :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Angliru said:
Miburo said:
Hitch, contador didn't crash in that tour 2010 (cobbles). He avoided it by a sec. He was just hold up

Someone did crash into his rear wheel if I recall correctly resulting in him riding a warped wheel to the finish.

i thought he was riding with a broken spoke.

Jelantik said:
Angliru said:
Miburo said:
Hitch, contador didn't crash in that tour 2010 (cobbles). He avoided it by a sec. He was just hold up

Someone did crash into his rear wheel if I recall correctly resulting in him riding a warped wheel to the finish.

Take a spoke out of most of these high end lightweight wheels and it's immediately out of true.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Jelantik said:
uh..oh.. cheer up everyone. Contador is not dead :D. Even if the mother luck loves the young sardinian and mick jagger better than him today, he is still confident for the rest of his Giro.

“Richie has placed a thousand bets on this stage, and so has Urán,” Contador said. “We’ll have to see how my shoulder holds up, but the most important thing these past few days is that my legs are starting to feel much better. The big difference in a grand tour is each rider’s ability to recover … No matter what happens, this time trial will not decide the Giro.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/contador-saturdays-time-trial-will-not-decide-the-giro_371198#QgYtpvJdvZgHt4rr.99

He might or might not loose time, but he is confident that the race will be decided in the mountain. For that, let the fireworks begins :D

At the Tour's cost.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Alberto sounds so sad in his tweet :(

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador
Bad day at Giro with the final crash,lost time,pink jersey&aching from the blows.Tomorrow59km ITT

Losing the Maglia rosa due to a crash to Aru will only light a fire inside Alberto. He will take the jersey back tomorrow but even if he does not, he will most certaintly ride away solo in the mountains. Cant wait to see him drop everyone in the mountains.

BlurryVII said:
Jelantik said:

At the Tour's cost.

Yeah, maybe. But the Giro is the race I'm watching now and personally I want to see Contador attacking on the big mountain stages and dropping everyone. If he's just going to cruise home with a comfortable margin after the TT then the rest of the race will be rather boring.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Angliru said:
Jelantik said:
Angliru said:
Miburo said:

Take a spoke out of most of these high end lightweight wheels and it's immediately out of true.

i thought he flatted.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
http://www.marca.com/2015/05/23/ciclismo/giro_italia/1432365934.html

Although dislocated left shoulder has not been entirely forgotten, because Contador still leads protected with a mild dressing him, the broker expects to make a good time trial, although not in the best condition to which it is accustomed.

If Alberto Contador faces trialists high power, large and heavy, it is thanks to its good adaptation to a very lying, forced position to develop their strength with less air resistance. That almost perfect aerodynamic today will be limited.

To prevent problems in the damaged shoulder, Contador has decided along with his mechanic Faustino Munoz, separate the support handlebar trial around two centimeters, while increasing in other "two or three centimeters," the handlebars to find a position comfortable, always attached to the seat height.

According to Munoz, Contador would lose by less aerodynamic position that -in the ideal wind tunnel about two seconds per kilometer. Two minutes in the time trial today, that look too. :eek: "We would be talking about 10-15 watts of loss," the mechanic.

It has tried to compensate for this deficit with a more comfortable pedaling.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
That is certainly downplaying the expectations...

Not sure what to believe.. Must wait and see....

Also could they start already.. I'am just sittin here waiting :)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Yea sure let's believe that. I still remember the story where he was just gonna go for a stage win in the vuelta last year.

And he only started training 2 weeks before the vuelta

Re:

The stories just gets weirder and weirder. Add this one to Martinellis "its over"quote same day Contador crashes and lost his Jersey. Faustino be like: "Oh, i got to tell. Our boy is expected to lose two minutes today so take notice everyone."

Soon to be expected: The Hitch with a bible long essay on why he actually has to ride smoother and that Faustino is a good guy speaking always from his heart. :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
Yea sure let's believe that. I still remember the story where he was just gonna go for a stage win in the vuelta last year.

But what is the point? Why would he lie about it? The only reason I can see is that he is a compulsive liar but I prefer to believe he isn't.

Downplay expectations, like he always does. It might be true but i don't think it is, his shoulders looked completely fine to me and we've seen contador lie before.

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Miburo said:
LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:

But what is the point? Why would he lie about it? The only reason I can see is that he is a compulsive liar but I prefer to believe he isn't.

Downplay expectations, like he always does. It might be true but i don't think it is, his shoulders looked completely fine to me and we've seen contador lie before.

He is just looking to find any advantage wherever he can find it. Its the mark of a champion, never underestimate the opposition. Chill people ... he is still going to win fairly easily :)

TRENDING THREADS