• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1048 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to believe in the double, but those crashes man :(

How can he not crash at the Tour? One thing I'm sure of, one of the favourites will crash out of the race. The question is which one (s) .

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Btw off topic Jesper hansen is doing great of protecting his GC lead at tour norway. He lost wheel a bit from Lopez 500m from the top. All in all, it is a good day for TS in the north and down south

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

BlurryVII said:

How can he not crash at the Tour? One thing I'm sure of, one of the favourites will crash out of the race. The question is which one (s) .

the one that get most media attention. For some reason that kinda jinx them. Last year, everyone was busy talk up about contador vs froome while nibali is like a footnote. Then both of them out. Nibali was the headline.

Jelantik said:
LOL.. Contador will save energy? didn't we learn anything from 2011? He didn't have to attack yet, still he smoked everyone in Etna. I won't hold my breath that he is going to think about Tour now by saving his energy. It's not his nature to think too far ahead. Even up until today, he hasn't said anything about the tour. His head in the Giro right now. He lives in the presence. I bet he will still go full gas to get stage win! Tomorrow is a good chance to grab a stage. It's at the end of the week and everyone is tired.

The one big difference is that this year he is specifically preparing for the double. In 2011 he wasn't.

Re:

BlurryVII said:

You are overthinking this way to much. This isnt a day to be pessimistic.

What could be said? Crashes are a part of this sport and if he does that (even in this Giro) well then the double wasnt meant to be. Same if he loses fair and square. No need to take anything for granted in the sport called cycling and that goes for eventual crashes also.

Cherish the moment and be hopeful for the future.

Jspear said:
Jelantik said:
LOL.. Contador will save energy? didn't we learn anything from 2011? He didn't have to attack yet, still he smoked everyone in Etna. I won't hold my breath that he is going to think about Tour now by saving his energy. It's not his nature to think too far ahead. Even up until today, he hasn't said anything about the tour. His head in the Giro right now. He lives in the presence. I bet he will still go full gas to get stage win! Tomorrow is a good chance to grab a stage. It's at the end of the week and everyone is tired.

The one big difference is that this year he is specifically preparing for the double. In 2011 he wasn't.

It's Contador. It would be smart to save energy but he isn't going to.

Re:

Merckx index said:
If he wins the double this year--still huge IF IMO--he should enter the Vuelta. Not because he's very likely to win it, but because it will probably be the only chance he has to go for the unheard of triple. If he wins the double, he really won't care how he does in the Vuelta--nothing to lose--and it's always possible all the breaks (literally and figuratively) will fall (also literally as well as figuratively) his way.

After all his trouble with form (2013), crashes (2014), and more crashes (2015) in the past few years, he should take whatever he can get now, and not assume he can win anything next year.

If he pulls off the Giro-TDF double, (and yes, that's still a huge IF, the level of competitors he is facing at the Giro is not the same as the tdf, but whatever...) but if he does it, there is NO WAY he doesn't try for the triple.

Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
Red Rick said:
He can probably win any mountain stage he wants right now, but I doubt he'll put much effort in to control the break. He might just go yolo on Mortirolo or Finestre though, especially Mortirolo if it's raining, gaining time to be able to descend very calmly

That would be the worst. If I was him, I'd just try and win tomorrow, and on cervinia. An effort on the last climb and that's it.

But going full out on Mortirolo and / or Finestre would cost him a lot. It'd be epic for sure but riding all by himself the descent and then up Aprica / sestriere would really **** him up for the Tour IMO.

I think he will try and win a stage asap. You don't skip an opportunity if things unfold to his advantage tomorrow he won't hold off thinking that there will be a better stage next week. That's just dumb. if he sees there's an opportunity as events unfold, then he will go for it.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Jspear said:
Jelantik said:

sure. sure. no doubt about that. But this is Contador we are talking about. He'll finish one goal first before move on to the next. Just an example: Didn't his team had hinted that they want to let go the pink jersey? but look who's stubborn enough to keep it? Contador. (sure Astana screwed their plan). But still, he fought tooth and nail w/ Aru on 1 seconds for god shake! So I won't hold my breath that he is not going for stage win. If he sees opportunity, he'll attack and go for it. Time after time time, everyone says.. he doesn't need to attack, .. but sure enough... he attacked. On stage 11, when he accelerated, even his team mate Rogers was saying he didn't know what's that all about.

Rogers said it best: "with Alberto, you never know when the wind blows". Kinda sum it up.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Carols said:
Jelantik said:
Btw off topic Jesper hansen is doing great of protecting his GC lead at tour norway. He lost wheel a bit from Lopez 500m from the top. All in all, it is a good day for TS in the north and down south

Darn that is called a spoiler. I recorded that race......

aaaaaahh... so sorry carol! :eek:

Jelantik said:
Jspear said:
Jelantik said:

sure. sure. no doubt about that. But this is Contador we are talking about. He'll finish one goal first before move on to the next. Just an example: Didn't his team had hinted that they want to let go the pink jersey? but look who's stubborn enough to keep it? Contador. (sure Astana screwed their plan). But still, he fought tooth and nail w/ Aru on 1 seconds for god shake! So I won't hold my breath that he is not going for stage win. If he sees opportunity, he'll attack and go for it. Time after time time, everyone says.. he doesn't need to attack, .. but sure enough... he attacked. On stage 11, when he accelerated, even his team mate Rogers was saying he didn't know what's that all about.

Rogers said it best: "with Alberto, you never know when the wind blows". Kinda sum it up.

IMO he will go for a stage win or 2, but won't go as berserk as some here are thinking he will. I know he has a hard time not being aggressive, but if he is serious about the double, then I have no doubt he'll show a little bit of maturity and race a little more conservatively. I still expect him to be active, just not as active as he could be.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Jspear said:
Jelantik said:
Jspear said:
Jelantik said:

IMO he will go for a stage win or 2, but won't go as berserk as some here are thinking he will. I know he has a hard time not being aggressive, but if he is serious about the double, then I have no doubt he'll show a little bit of maturity and race a little more conservatively. I still expect him to be active, just not as active as he could be.

ah I see. Got it. I wasn't saying that he'll go beserk ala funte de. my reference to etna is more about that he is time after time like to defy the odds of being defensive. Of course that day, it was an epic stage win for him. I was just saying, he is going to give 100% to the giro and he is more likely going to attack and win a stage. He said it himself, he got restless in the peloton. He is just an itchy and twitchy guy :p

Oleg says:"Now we’ve regained the pink jersey, it’s very good and it’s very emotional especially as I just came in. I hope that he will keep it but it will be very tough and the riders from Astana are giving us a hard time. Alberto is strong though and he doesn’t have to attack, they have to attack. Knowing Alberto, he will attack anyway.”

Yep he will. Get the stage tomorrow and then cool the jets for le Tour Berto!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Carols said:
Jelantik said:
Carols said:
Jelantik said:

Darn that is called a spoiler. I recorded that race......

aaaaaahh... so sorry carol! :eek:

It's okay, I still love you ;)

:D same here carol, same here.. all around today is a good day for TS. My memorial weekend holiday seems to be rosy now..

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Aru was burned to a crisp today. There's no way he has enough gas in the tank to put in a meaningful attack.

His best chance is to swallow his pride and aim to consolidate his second spot. Either that or hope that Alberto has another crash.

TRENDING THREADS