• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1051 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:
So now, 1 stage and then staring on Aru's azz last week :D ...to conserve energy of course :p

Oh my god, your signature is absolutely hilarious. How is Quintana the best climber since Pantani? Like what the ****? He still hasn't shown much yet and would get absolutely trashed by a top form Contador .

This guy is SO overrated and overhyped, it's a joke.
Firstly, you reacted very quick as I have this signature for 2 years now :D :)
Nvm...Of course its not my post but I very much agree with that (probably I wouldnt have hyped so much), because I just think he is the best pure climber since Pantani according to his age (look at Pantani's palmares, he was much older),there is nothing much more to say.
Contador and Armstrong (only 2 comparable) are not pure climbers, they won their GT's with climbing AND tt,as opposite Quintana is a climber like Pantani, thats why its more comparable.
I dont predict he will be as good GT rider as AC,but I predict he will be same or more likely better climber.

Barring injuries and crashes we will know if my theory is bs comes July. ;)
btw: He could have won that Vuelta,if he was minute away from AC after that tt imho.

Well, in that case, long way is ahead of him. Alberto Contador Velasco is already in the Pantheon of greatest climbers in history, and he stands high in there, top 10 certainly, maybe even top 5

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Alcanelo said:
Did someone just say Contador is not a pure climber? Leave the building please, he's one of the most natural climbers we have seen...it's just that he is so polished all over that people neglect that his climbing is his main strength...Quintana a more pure climber? You're only suggesting that because Quintana is rather average everywhere else. Contador is in the top 5 climbers of all time. In fact I'd only rank Pantani and Impe above him for certain.
No, he is not.He is the best stage racer of last 2 decades.One of the best GT riders of all time, but no he is not a pure climber.

btw http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/pure

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Mr.White said:
ILovecycling said:
BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:
So now, 1 stage and then staring on Aru's azz last week :D ...to conserve energy of course :p

Oh my god, your signature is absolutely hilarious. How is Quintana the best climber since Pantani? Like what the ****? He still hasn't shown much yet and would get absolutely trashed by a top form Contador .

Nvm...Of course its not my post but I very much agree with that (probably I wouldnt have hyped so much), because I just think he is the best pure climber since Pantani according to his age (look at Pantani's palmares, he was much older),there is nothing much more to say.
Contador and Armstrong (only 2 comparable) are not pure climbers, they won their GT's with climbing AND tt,as opposite Quintana is a climber like Pantani, thats why its more comparable.
I dont predict he will be as good GT rider as AC,but I predict he will be same or more likely better climber.

Barring injuries and crashes we will know if my theory is bs comes July. ;-)
btw: He could have won that Vuelta,if he was minute away from AC after that tt imho.

Well, in that case, long way is ahead of him. Alberto Contador Velasco is already in the Pantheon of greatest climbers in history, and he stands high in there, top 10 certainly, maybe even top 5
Yep, you are right.When there is time (after Giro prob), I will write my list of best climbers.
Like I said, we'll se in July,I expect improved Quintana.

But back to topic, this great thread doesnt deserve to be about other riders :)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
So now that the Giro is secured, Alberto just has to focus on the Tour now. Hopefully he can seal the Tour GC early on as well so that he can concentrate on the triple.

It won't be that easy but i defintely think contador has an advantage in the fact that they're 3 really big GC threats and not just 1.

If no one of them crashes and they're all in really good shape, this should be the best tour of the last 15 years. Those are the 2 big if's though lol

I think Alberto is a tricky case, after all we all know the deal "he started out as a TTer, his first pro win was a TT" but don't forget that first win was an uphill TT and he did not start out as a TTer, he was picked up as a TTer by ONCE because he won the U23 TT Nats.
BUT even as a junior, he was pretty much a climber, he never won races but won like 15-16 KOM prizes in his first two years .
I would say Contador is not a pure climber because he can TT very well, but I can see why people see him as one because he seems to be born to climb, with the perfect body shape and his climbing style looks so natural.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
If a pure climber is a rider who can only climb great, and is bad in other aspects of racing, than Contador isn't one of those. But if a pure climber is a rider who can climb great, no matter what other qualities he has, than he certainly fits in this category. That's my opinion

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Mr.White said:
If a pure climber is a rider who can only climb great, and is bad in other aspects of racing, than Contador isn't one of those. But if a pure climber is a rider who can climb great, no matter what other qualities he has, than he certainly fits in this category. That's my opinion

Exactly the latter.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:

Barring injuries and crashes we will know if my theory is bs comes July. ;)

Likely a better climber? Good luck to Quintana going better than Contador 09' or any peak Contador in the mountains. Which is almost impossible.

Whether AC is good in TT or not, does not exclude him from being a pure climber or does not make him a "worse" climber . This is ridiculous thinking. He is one of best climbers of all time, TT or not, in fact he was known for his climbing abilities as a junior, and improved his TT later in his career at Astana with Bruyneel. Contador is a pure climber.

Also, I have no idea how you can say Quintana could've won that Vuelta 14' with 1 minute off Contador, which really shows how much you overrate this rider, it's ridiculous, you think it's the Tour 13 or.. ? . Good luck dropping Contador in last year's Vuelta. LOL

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It's fun because Quintana was dropped on La Zubia in the Vuelta 14', and also on Valdelineares by AC, if Rodriguez and his Katusha teammate wasn't there, Quintana would have never closed the gap to Contador. I don't even know how you can say he could've won that Vuelta given Contador's level in the 3rd week.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
perico said:
I've watched the sport for 35 years and whether or not he is a pure climber or not is irrelevant. He's one of the three best climbers I've seen, maybe even the best.

Agreed. Whether he's considered a pure climber or not is irrelevant, as long as he can climb faster than the pure climbers :rolleyes:

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
Alcanelo said:
Did someone just say Contador is not a pure climber? Leave the building please, he's one of the most natural climbers we have seen...it's just that he is so polished all over that people neglect that his climbing is his main strength...Quintana a more pure climber? You're only suggesting that because Quintana is rather average everywhere else. Contador is in the top 5 climbers of all time. In fact I'd only rank Pantani and Impe above him for certain.
No, he is not.He is the best stage racer of last 2 decades.One of the best GT riders of all time, but no he is not a pure climber.

So "pure" climbers are those riders that are not quite as good at climbing as the best GT climbers like Armstrong and Contador, and worse at everything else?

BlurryVII said:
perico said:
I've watched the sport for 35 years and whether or not he is a pure climber or not is irrelevant. He's one of the three best climbers I've seen, maybe even the best.

Agreed. Whether he's considered a pure climber or not is irrelevant, as long as he can climb faster than the pure climbers :rolleyes:
Exactly. The reality is that Quintana will never be as good a climber as Lance Armstrong.

This is a great argument about semantics!

I would put it this way, Contador is not a pure climber. But if you look purely at his climbing he's among the best of the last two decades.

Now how good he is exactly is hard to say, because cycling has changed so much in the last 20 years due to stuff that's not for this forum. So it's very hard to compare him with the likes of Pantani or Ullrich (or that Armstrong chap).

But we can say that when he was at or near his best only Andy Schleck has ever been able to stay with him. And even as a fan of Schlecklet I have to admit I think at that time Andy was probably closer to peak form than Contador was (just look at the closing TT in 2010).

Re:

Mr.White said:
A pure climber is typically one of those real lightweight people 50-55 kg small frame. eg Purito, Pozzovivo, Quintana. They cannot do anything else.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
ILovecycling said:
Alcanelo said:

So "pure" climbers are those riders that are not quite as good at climbing as the best GT climbers like Armstrong and Contador, and worse at everything else?
yep, thats a pure climber for me (and I guess for almost everybody else who knows that word :p :D )

TRENDING THREADS