• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1050 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
trevim said:
Is it just me or the 2011 pink was way more beautiful than this shock pink jersey 2015? Still it's great to see him in that thing :)
Agree (see my avi ;) ) but this color goes surprisingly well with fluo yellow and bright blue :p
2011 was a lot better MR :) ...I read that opinion on twitter too :eek: ,but I dont agree, its awful with that fluo :D :p

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
So now, 1 stage and then staring on Aru's azz last week :D ...to conserve energy of course :p

Oh my god, your signature is absolutely hilarious. How is Quintana the best climber since Pantani? Like what the ***? He still hasn't shown much yet and would get absolutely trashed by a top form Contador .

This guy is SO overrated and overhyped, it's a joke.

BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:
So now, 1 stage and then staring on Aru's azz last week :D ...to conserve energy of course :p

Oh my god, your signature is absolutely hilarious. How is Quintana the best climber since Pantani? Like what the ****? He still hasn't shown much yet and would get absolutely trashed by a top form Contador .

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this. I'm not saying he's rubbish - he's clearly not that. But I think he's got to do something this TdF to really live up to the billing he gets.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Electress said:
BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:

Oh my god, your signature is absolutely hilarious. How is Quintana the best climber since Pantani? Like what the ****? He still hasn't shown much yet and would get absolutely trashed by a top form Contador .

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this. I'm not saying he's rubbish - he's clearly not that. But I think he's got to do something this TdF to really live up to the billing he gets.

Quintana doesn't even come close to so many climbers I've seen since Pantani, I don't even know where does that reputation come from. Is it his "fitting" name? Or the fact that he is colombian and apparently got some incredible "genetics" to make ppl think he is some sort of a legend while he still hasn't achieved jack *** to be called so?

He is a good climber, and stage racer. But it doesn't go further. His attacks are quite harmless. I mean he'd never ever drop a decent Contador.

Then there are some other ppl who think he's got like a huuuuuuge room of improvement; that's part of the Quintana legend, he will be invincible one day :eek: Seems like they haven't heard of riders who shine at a young age then progressively fade.

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
Electress said:
BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:

Quintana doesn't even come close to so many climbers I've seen since Pantani, I don't even know where does that reputation come from. Is it his "fitting" name? Or the fact that he is colombian and apparently got some incredible "genetics" to make ppl think he is some sort of a legend while he still hasn't achieved jack **** to be called so?

He is a good climber, and stage racer. But it doesn't go further. His attacks are quite harmless. I mean he'd never ever drop a decent Contador.

Then there are some other ppl who think he's got like a huuuuuuge room of improvement; that's part of the Quintana legend, he will be invincible one day :eek: Seems like they haven't heard of riders who shine at a young age then progressively fade.

To be fair, in his last 3 GTs he got second in the tour at his first attempt, won the giro, and crashed out of the vuelta while leading. Kid obviously has talent, I think after the tour this year we'll know a lot more...

Quinta maybe someday will climb like Pantani, but not yet. He has some class, how much we will see in the coming years.

Back to Alberto :). The man is an unstoppable dynamo, in a class of his own here, and says "They (Astana) have a strong team, and it's sometimes hard for me to hold myself back. In any case, sometimes the best form of defence is to attack.”

The man can't stop himself, he gets bored and restless and needs to explode :).

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
nepetalactone said:
BlurryVII said:
Electress said:
BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:

Quintana doesn't even come close to so many climbers I've seen since Pantani, I don't even know where does that reputation come from. Is it his "fitting" name? Or the fact that he is colombian and apparently got some incredible "genetics" to make ppl think he is some sort of a legend while he still hasn't achieved jack **** to be called so?

To be fair, in his last 3 GTs he got second in the tour at his first attempt, won the giro, and crashed out of the vuelta while leading. Kid obviously has talent, I think after the tour this year we'll know a lot more...

Kid has talent but kid is not the best climber.

Won a Giro thanks to a controversial stage, and against an average field. Looked like one those pathetic Nibali GT wins.
He was leading the Vuelta thanks to the Team TT, and was obviously losing the jersey to Contador in that ITT, whether he crashed or not wouldn't have changed anything since he lost a lot of time in the first half.

The real good performance he put in was at the Tour 13', especially the last week. But that still doesn't make him the best climber, let alone a legend lol .

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
Marco Pantani said:
Astana will attack him big time tomorrow. It's not over yet.

No,no.., he will attack Astana big time ;)
And it is over

Alberto can just follow the Astana train right on Aru's wheel, protected like Aru is. Alberto doesnt need a team, lol. Basso should retire, he is useless to Contador.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
Back to Alberto :). The man is an unstoppable dynamo, in a class of his own here, and says "They (Astana) have a strong team, and it's sometimes hard for me to hold myself back. In any case, sometimes the best form of defence is to attack.”

does this mean that AC is going to ride without bothering for conserving energy?

what will happen to double then?

I think basso is going to show his true potential next week. another hidden rider: sergio paulinho.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:

Firstly, you reacted very quick as I have this signature for 2 years now :D :)
Nvm...Of course its not my post but I very much agree with that (probably I wouldnt have hyped so much), because I just think he is the best pure climber since Pantani according to his age (look at Pantani's palmares, he was much older),there is nothing much more to say.
Contador and Armstrong (only 2 comparable) are not pure climbers, they won their GT's with climbing AND tt,as opposite Quintana is a climber like Pantani, thats why its more comparable.
I dont predict he will be as good GT rider as AC,but I predict he will be same or more likely better climber.

Barring injuries and crashes we will know if my theory is bs comes July. ;)
btw: He could have won that Vuelta,if he was minute away from AC after that tt imho.

Re:

Carols said:
Quinta maybe someday will climb like Pantani, but not yet. He has some class, how much we will see in the coming years.

This is why he's such a great rider to watch - he just wants to race. I hope he keeps something back, but I also want to see him enjoying himself in his what will 'probably' be his last Giro.

does this mean that AC is going to ride without bothering for conserving energy?

what will happen to double then?

I think basso is going to show his true potential next week. another hidden rider: sergio paulinho.

Wasn't basso 7+mins down in that ITT? I suspect we'll see a lot more of him this week too. I think he's been keeping his powder dry. If not…well, he's enjoying an all expenses paid nice little cycle tour of his home country… :rolleyes:

Jelantik said:
this from the horses's mouth. He is not thinking of Tour (conserving energy). I think he wants to leave Giro with good memory.. with a memorable attack perhaps? ;)

"It would be a mistake [to already focus on the Tour]. Yesterday is a good example: I fell 3.2km from the finish line. I didn't lose too much time because I got up quicky, saw that my bike wasn't in good shape and got another one from a team-mate. But the same thing could happen tomorrow. No, I'll take this race day by day, and then I'll start thinking about the Tour de France.

"I've ridden many Grand Tours, many of them as leader, and your form stays in your legs. Fabio [Aru] didn't have a good day today, but he might have a great one tomorrow at Madonna di Campiglio. I don't know if I'll come back to the Giro d'Italia next year, so I want to make the most of every moment."

It's good to hear these comments and exactly how I feel. Worry about the Tour later, right now focus on winning the Giro in glorious fashion :)

cellardoor said:
Jelantik said:
this from the horses's mouth. He is not thinking of Tour (conserving energy). I think he wants to leave Giro with good memory.. with a memorable attack perhaps? ;)

"It would be a mistake [to already focus on the Tour]. Yesterday is a good example: I fell 3.2km from the finish line. I didn't lose too much time because I got up quicky, saw that my bike wasn't in good shape and got another one from a team-mate. But the same thing could happen tomorrow. No, I'll take this race day by day, and then I'll start thinking about the Tour de France.

"I've ridden many Grand Tours, many of them as leader, and your form stays in your legs. Fabio [Aru] didn't have a good day today, but he might have a great one tomorrow at Madonna di Campiglio. I don't know if I'll come back to the Giro d'Italia next year, so I want to make the most of every moment."

Once again you should take it with a pinch of salt. I remember he said during the interview with that guy who occasionly rides with him during interviews (cant remember his name but they are on youtube) that he already before the TTT had the Tour in his head. Of course he has to be polite and cant say to the tifosi that he is thinking about the Tour and what he have to do and donts because of the french race.

This does not mean he wont create a spettacolo but not that he doesnt think about France either.

BlurryVII said:
nepetalactone said:
BlurryVII said:
BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:

Kid has talent but kid is not the best climber.

Won a Giro thanks to a controversial stage, and against an average field. Looked like one those pathetic Nibali GT wins.
He was leading the Vuelta thanks to the Team TT, and was obviously losing the jersey to Contador in that ITT, whether he crashed or not wouldn't have changed anything since he lost a lot of time in the first half.

The real good performance he put in was at the Tour 13', especially the last week. But that still doesn't make him the best climber, let alone a legend lol .
You can only race what's in front of you. Remember, Nibali beat both Froome and Contador last year. And also remember the fact that Quintana put 40(?) seconds into Contador at Tirreno, a race where looking at yearly goals, Contador should've been better.

Brullnux said:
You can only race what's in front of you. Remember, Nibali beat both Froome and Contador last year. And also remember the fact that Quintana put 40(?) seconds into Contador at Tirreno, a race where looking at yearly goals, Contador should've been better.
Not really. Riders focusing on the Tour can have a mini-peak in March-April, while riders racing the Giro just build up to peak form in May.
Just look at last year's Tirreno when Contador smashed Quintana.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Did someone just say Contador is not a pure climber? Leave the building please, he's one of the most natural climbers we have seen...it's just that he is so polished all over that people neglect that his climbing is his main strength...Quintana a more pure climber? You're only suggesting that because Quintana is rather average everywhere else. Contador is in the top 5 climbers of all time. In fact I'd only rank Pantani and Impe above him for certain.

BlurryVII said:
Electress said:
BlurryVII said:
ILovecycling said:

You're hilarious, thanks for the laugh.

Re:

Alcanelo said:
Did someone just say Contador is not a pure climber? Leave the building please, he's one of the most natural climbers we have seen...it's just that he is so polished all over that people neglect that his climbing is his main strength...Quintana a more pure climber? You're only suggesting that because Quintana is rather average everywhere else. Contador is in the top 5 climbers of all time. In fact I'd only rank Pantani and Impe above him for certain.
Gaul?

TRENDING THREADS