• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1053 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

The_Cheech said:
Squirbos_19 said:
What pact would they have made? Let Landa win the stage and Contador takes time from Aru, bit of an odd pact. Unless Astana have already accepted defeat in GC, so they'll stop attacking Contador for stage wins in return?

Absolutely they made a pact. Are you kidding me?

You think Alberto would've let Aru slide when he was getting dropped? No way! He put in a half-assed attack for TV and then let Landa take off.

The stage was over somewhere between the Daone and MdC.
I'm curious what this pact would be? The stage played out the way it played out, no pact.

May 12, 2015
Visit site

irondan said:
The_Cheech said:
Squirbos_19 said:
What pact would they have made? Let Landa win the stage and Contador takes time from Aru, bit of an odd pact. Unless Astana have already accepted defeat in GC, so they'll stop attacking Contador for stage wins in return?

Absolutely they made a pact. Are you kidding me?

You think Alberto would've let Aru slide when he was getting dropped? No way! He put in a half-assed attack for TV and then let Landa take off.

The stage was over somewhere between the Daone and MdC.
I'm curious what this pact would be? The stage played out the way it played out, no pact.

I've already said it.

Read.

The_Cheech said:
Arredondo said:
LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
Contador going to win this Giro with brute strength and by the time it gets to the Tour he will be on top form and floating up the climbs. After rest day he will go up another gear and take a nice stage or 2.
I hope so, I want to see that he is in super shape, it would leave a bad taste if he never attacks or takes a stage. I just don't see how he will win stage 16 or 20, the final climbs are not steep enough, and stage 19, he would 1) have to attack from relatively far out as the last 2.5km are flat, and 2) hope there isn't a break ahead.

Just attack on the Mortirolo and soloing to Aprica. If he's the strongest, it's quite easy to do.

Alberto is going to HAVE to attack on the Mortirolo.

They named a section of the climb after him for peace sake!

That mountain is the thing that should feel honoured :mad: :D :D

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Lol at pact. Why would Contador need to make a pact?

Three things, Aru would't attack him, Fabio would put time on third place and an Astana would win the stage.

It happens in cycling all the time.

Come on folks, don't look at me like I have three head. Where have you been these past 100 years?

The_Cheech said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Three things, Aru would't attack him, Fabio would put time on third place and an Astana would win the stage.

Come on folks, don't look at me like I have three head. Where have you been these past 100 years?
Contador has already won this Giro. He doesn't care if Aru attacks. All he wants now is a stage win.

The_Cheech said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Last I checked, Aru was getting dropped when his team mate attacked with AC following. No pact...
You talk to us like we just dropped in here on accident. That's comical. lol

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
SeriousSam said:
ILovecycling said:
Alcanelo said:
Did someone just say Contador is not a pure climber? Leave the building please, he's one of the most natural climbers we have seen...it's just that he is so polished all over that people neglect that his climbing is his main strength...Quintana a more pure climber? You're only suggesting that because Quintana is rather average everywhere else. Contador is in the top 5 climbers of all time. In fact I'd only rank Pantani and Impe above him for certain.
No, he is not.He is the best stage racer of last 2 decades.One of the best GT riders of all time, but no he is not a pure climber.

btw http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/pure

So "pure" climbers are those riders that are not quite as good at climbing as the best GT climbers like Armstrong and Contador, and worse at everything else?
yep, thats a pure climber for me (and I guess for almost everybody else who knows that word :p :D )
If Contador could not time trial, descend well, did not know how to race, he would be considered one of the best "pure" climbers in history, would u not agree?

May 13, 2015
Visit site
There was no pact. It was just a case of Landa being strong and Alberto not wanting to open himself to a counterattack from Aru. Alberto wasn't weak, he was just evenly matched on this climb by Landa.

Landa couldn't drop Alberto and Alberto couldn't drop Landa. Had it been mano a mano it would have been a sprint between those two.

Hugo Koblet said:
The_Cheech said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Contador has already won this Giro. He doesn't care if Aru attacks. All he wants now is a stage win.
But why did he not attack then? It makes no sense. He did a few weak-hearted accelerations, saw Landa wouldn't drop easily and just gave up. Surely if he desperately wants a stage win he would have gone all out.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Froome if fit is the real test. Normally Contador would be dropping Landa. This is not good for the TDF. Probably the effect of the TT Lets see after the rest day
See this is why I want Alberto to go all out and crush everyone on at least one stage. People will keep saying "oh but he couldn't even drop Landa bla bla so he wasn't strong at all" etc. C'mon Alberto, don't let me down. Full genius, just once.

LaFlorecita said:
IndianCyclist said:
Froome if fit is the real test. Normally Contador would be dropping Landa. This is not good for the TDF. Probably the effect of the TT Lets see after the rest day
See this is why I want Alberto to go all out and crush everyone on at least one stage. People will keep saying "oh but he couldn't even drop Landa bla bla so he wasn't strong at all" etc. C'mon Alberto, don't let me down. Full genius, just once.
He went full genius yesterday, and would have won if the conditions were even close to the same for all. :D

May 12, 2015
Visit site

Hugo Koblet said:
The_Cheech said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Oh really? Did you see what happened to him the other day? He lost ONLY 40 seconds because his teammate went full-obstacle-course on other riders and bicycles to give him his bike.

Aru has shown to have, just like Nibali, a lot more race craft than Contador. And a much better team.

If you think Alberto is letting his guard down, think again.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
It surprises me how many people underestimate Contador. Or how many people overestimate Froome. Froome won what? 1 Tour in a year where Contador clearly was not at his best. And he still placed 4th in that tour. So why is a fit Froome a real test for Contador? isn't it the other way round. A fit Contador is a real test for Froome?

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:

He not only dropped Landa yesterday, he handed his ass back to him.

Does that count?

The_Cheech said:
Alberto's weakest point is his team.

Too much emphasis is being put on why he did or didn't attack.

It's RK or MR giving up after 5Ks on a non-impressive climb.

Somebody at Tinkof has to put the hammer down.

It's really unacceptable.

This! When your team is history with 1.5 mountains and 30km to go and you're in an Astana sandwich with 6 of them there it is Totally Unacceptable. TS better get their act together......

Carols said:
The_Cheech said:
Alberto's weakest point is his team.

Too much emphasis is being put on why he did or didn't attack.

It's RK or MR giving up after 5Ks on a non-impressive climb.

Somebody at Tinkof has to put the hammer down.

It's really unacceptable.

This! When your team is history with 1.5 mountains and 30km to go and you're in an Astana sandwich with 6 of them there it is Totally Unacceptable. TS better get their act together......
Agreed!

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

IndianCyclist said:

That's one dumb post. First Landa is in incredible form and If anything, it's good sign he's not litterally crushing everyone right now, it'd mean he 's perhaps peaking for the Tour. But all I know is that his form is gonna be different in july.

Saying he can't drop Landa on one MTF right now, where he didn't have his best day, maybe affected by his lastest crash and yesterday's incredible TT effort means he won't be able to drop Froome in a month is just straight up stupid.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

mufana said:
It surprises me how many people underestimate Contador. Or how many people overestimate Froome. Froome won what? 1 Tour in a year where Contador clearly was not at his best. And he still placed 4th in that tour. So why is a fit Froome a real test for Contador? isn't it the other way round. A fit Contador is a real test for Froome?

Because people can't, by and large, read a stage.

Much less a race.

Froome going ballistic in a local competition if irrefutable proof that he is one of the men to beat.

Someone with multiple TdF, Giros and Vueltas... not so much.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:

Surrealistic comments. How can gaining on your rivals be bad for the TDF?

If he went full genius and destroyed them like he did yesterday you freaks would be saying the same that he should conserve energy.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
IndianCyclist said:

I feel ya :eek:

Some people in this forum just draw out of proportion conclusions based on what they see in the present moment without looking at the bigger picture. It's ridiculous.

May 11, 2015
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
LaFlorecita said:
IndianCyclist said:

I feel ya :eek:

Some people in this forum just draw out of proportion conclusions based on what they see in the present moment without looking at bigger picture. It's ridiculous.

The other guys are so much biased in 'bigger picture' gains favour that simply don't want to see close rivals. Either AC wins or he's not in top shape. Cycling world is entirely unival. That's the viewpoint you look at that with. That's just the other side of ridicule.

TRENDING THREADS