• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1052 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, puzzling final. To me he didn't look too great to be honest. I don't think he could've done much more today. Probably the TT from yesterday affected him a bit. But it's good, it"s good. He's not at his peak yet, it's looking good for the Tour. That's where I want to see him flying.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
You must remember Alberto was on his own for a damn long time...considering the injury and everything and the act he didn't even go close to full gas, today was very impressive...got more seconds from Aru and found out Aru is suffering badly.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Alcanelo said:
You must remember Alberto was on his own for a damn long time...considering the injury and everything and the act he didn't even go close to full gas, today was very impressive...got more seconds from Aru and found out Aru is suffering badly.
Landa worked for Aru though. And still seemed the best. I think he was stronger today

May 12, 2015
Visit site
The fact that Alberto has to ride almost a whole mountain stage by himself is extremely worrisome. It has to be irritating for him to look around, 40k out, and before a beast of a climb, and see no Tinkoff anywhere near.

Apart from the above... WTF is wrong with Landa? He exposed his leader three or four times with his dummy attacks.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Can't decide whether he was going easy today or whether he was struggling a bit, he gained time on Aru but lost some to Landa, but I doubt Astana will try and win with Landa so all Contador has to do is keep riding how he did today.
I'll be surprised if he wins a stage now, with the strength of Astana it will be difficult to win a stage.

I know one thing though, he's going to have to be a hell of a lot better in the Tour if he's going to win it.

Re:

Squirbos_19 said:
Can't decide whether he was going easy today or whether he was struggling a bit, he gained time on Aru but lost some to Landa, but I doubt Astana will try and win with Landa so all Contador has to do is keep riding how he did today.
I'll be surprised if he wins a stage now, with the strength of Astana it will be difficult to win a stage.

I know one thing though, he's going to have to be a hell of a lot better in the Tour if he's going to win it.
If he was struggling today, getting dropped by Landa and Trofimov, he should just retire already :eek: it's obvious he was just going easy, he never looked in trouble at all, never breathing hard.
I agree though that it will be very difficult to win a stage now, which is very disappointing as a GT without a stage win is just shitty and Contador already has 2 of them :eek:

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Squirbos_19 said:

Aru was clearly struggling. An out-of-shape or an in-shape Alberto Contador would've attacked, provided the goal was to win the stage. It wasn't. I think Aru and him made a pact to let an Astana rider win.

Fabio's form is taking a nosedive. He couldn't even take the fight to Alberto when the Spaniard went for the bonus seconds between the Daone and MdC. And later on, when the pact had already been made, Alberto made it a point not to go and ride Aru to the finish line.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Alberto's weakest point is his team.

Too much emphasis is being put on why he did or didn't attack.

It's RK or MR giving up after 5Ks on a non-impressive climb.

Somebody at Tinkof has to put the hammer down.

It's really unacceptable.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Contador going to win this Giro with brute strength and by the time it gets to the Tour he will be on top form and floating up the climbs. After rest day he will go up another gear and take a nice stage or 2.

Re:

arvc40 said:
Contador going to win this Giro with brute strength and by the time it gets to the Tour he will be on top form and floating up the climbs. After rest day he will go up another gear and take a nice stage or 2.
I hope so, I want to see that he is in super shape, it would leave a bad taste if he never attacks or takes a stage. I just don't see how he will win stage 16 or 20, the final climbs are not steep enough, and stage 19, he would 1) have to attack from relatively far out as the last 2.5km are flat, and 2) hope there isn't a break ahead.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
What pact would they have made? Let Landa win the stage and Contador takes time from Aru, bit of an odd pact. Unless Astana have already accepted defeat in GC, so they'll stop attacking Contador for stage wins in return?

LaFlorecita said:
Squirbos_19 said:

If he was struggling today, getting dropped by Landa and Trofimov, he should just retire already :eek: it's obvious he was just going easy, he never looked in trouble at all, never breathing hard.
I agree though that it will be very difficult to win a stage now, which is very disappointing as a GT without a stage win is just shitty and Contador already has 2 of them :eek:

You can't have a full genius worthy day every day. He probably didn't attack hard cuz he couldn't. He didn't try to react to Landa in the end cause he didn't want to be countered and sprinted when he knew he could sustain his effort. Landa deserved to win, but wouldn't have dropped Contador if he didn't have to watch Aru the whole time. Good teamwork

He can't be as good as last year right now. You can't be that skinny and that strong for 3 months.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Squirbos_19 said:
What pact would they have made? Let Landa win the stage and Contador takes time from Aru, bit of an odd pact. Unless Astana have already accepted defeat in GC, so they'll stop attacking Contador for stage wins in return?

Absolutely they made a pact. Are you kidding me?

You think Alberto would've let Aru slide when he was getting dropped? No way! He put in a half-assed attack for TV and then let Landa take off.

The stage was over somewhere between the Daone and MdC.

Re:

Squirbos_19 said:

So is his team. :eek:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
I hope so, I want to see that he is in super shape, it would leave a bad taste if he never attacks or takes a stage. I just don't see how he will win stage 16 or 20, the final climbs are not steep enough, and stage 19, he would 1) have to attack from relatively far out as the last 2.5km are flat, and 2) hope there isn't a break ahead.

Just attack on the Mortirolo and soloing to Aprica. If he's the strongest, it's quite easy to do.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Tinkoff should buy Landa and let Contador teach him to become the next GT winner.

Spain need a new hope.

Don't worry about it. Alberto's been babysitting Enric Mas for a while now and the later is, allegedly, breaking some of Contador's records in some of the climbs.

Enric is going to be the next Indurain. No one is talking about this kid because they want him to develop into a Miguelón without the stress of having to perform in a big team.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Squirbos_19 said:

Neither of those options.

May 12, 2015
Visit site

Arredondo said:
LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:

Just attack on the Mortirolo and soloing to Aprica. If he's the strongest, it's quite easy to do.

Alberto is going to HAVE to attack on the Mortirolo.

They named a section of the climb after him for peace sake!

TRENDING THREADS