• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1061 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 27, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday when Contador was trying to get back I couldn't even sit on the couch and I'm sure that even my heart rate was increasing. When Contador caught Landa and Aru I thought forget the stage win. Contador has already won today.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Going to watch yesterday stage again.
And wondering what Froome, Quintana and Nibali, think off all this, Contador giving fans and sponsors such a spectacle, and all of them not even racing right know, Froome was actually tweeting about the stage.
Contador himself said i will try to do the double, maybe i fail on both races, win one lose other, or win both.
I bet Contador will be the bigest Star on the Tour, after this Giro, and people will suport Him more that the other 3.
Maybe in 2016 we can see more of them doing at least 2 Gran Tours, possibly Sponsors will pressure them to do it ?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Contador said it himself,he was amazed to come out of the ITT with that big lead,he thought he would have to go full gas in the Mountains to secure the overall title.I think he has spent less energy compared to what he expected ahead of the ITT in the Mountains.
It is 2008 all over again,he can ride to defend,defend without going 100%.
I may not like Contador,but I have to respect him,he is a classy rider,yesterday he wanted to say Thank you to the Dutch kid and give him the stage,maybe he could have gone with Landa,maybe not,but to be honest,I dont think he bothered.He is in the Giro for the overall title,not stages.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

riodouro said:
Going to watch yesterday stage again.
And wondering what Froome, Quintana and Nibali, think off all this, Contador giving fans and sponsors such a spectacle, and all of them not even racing right know, Froome was actually tweeting about the stage.
Contador himself said i will try to do the double, maybe i fail on both races, win one lose other, or win both.
I bet Contador will be the bigest Star on the Tour, after this Giro, and people will suport Him more that the other 3.
Maybe in 2016 we can see more of them doing at least 2 Gran Tours, possibly Sponsors will pressure them to do it ?
Yep, I agree with you, he should be the most supported rider at Tour...people know he can rewrite history books this July!
As for the next year...imo its highly unlikely that AC will ever attempt Double again ;)

edit: @Fleur
I was thinking about Angliru, but decided to not to include there, its on the line of regular epicness and epic epicness :D :D

Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
That seems a bit too far fetched tbh, almost non sense. Why would Contador be so upset at Aru that he wants his teammate to get 2 nd in GC ? Do you really think Contador would intentionally lose 38 seconds ? Because even if Contador wanted Landa to gain time on Aru, he wouldn't just let him go...

When I read 38 seconds and Contador, I nearly passed out. Has it been five years already? One of the amazing things about Contador's career are the outstanding battles he fought against all of cycling's best climbers (and Astana) since 2007.

Landa may be another great match up, even if it is only one race; I would have liked to have seen Landa attack Bertie instead of dragging Aru halfway up the mountain, but he keeps racking those stage wins up. Meanwhile, Bertie extends his lead over second place by 87 seconds. :cool:

hfer07 said:
I finally watched the stage.......

It was poetry on the bicycle...

Contador just pulled a masterpiece with that performance-the Mortirolo recovery was truly impressive-something not seen in recent years- perhaps a reminiscence of Pantani's 99 Oropa stage without the victory, but still-just beautiful to observe how he was picking up riders along the climb until catching his enemies, just to drop them later with such grace.....

perhaps not the time to say this but, the void that Alberto will leave when he retires is enormous, considering the legendary moments he has brought to the sport like this Aprica stage....

He still has some work to do before he leaves the world stage. Yes there will be a void but at some point a racer will appear who raises the pulse with his panache and unbounded talent leaving us shaking our heads in wonder at his exploits. He will arrive, it is the way of cycling. I have lived to see a few of these cycling giants, hopefully I get to see at least one more.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Stage16. Mortirolo (11.85 km, 10.88 %, 1289 m)
Alberto Contador ("62 kg"): 45:16, 15.71 Kph, VAM 1709 m/h
5.70 - 5.80 W/kg [CPL]

He seems to be at the same level as in 2013. Alberto needs 5-8% more power to beat Quintana, Froome and Nibali.

harryh said:
5.70 - 5.80 W/kg [CPL]

He seems to be at the same level as in 2013. Alberto needs 5-8% more power to beat Quintana, Froome and Nibali.

You do know there was still 30+km to go on the stage and he had a healthy lead in GC, right? Had it been the final climb I'm sure the #s would have been different.

Re:

MotorRouleur said:
This Giro has been a gift for Contador, he really hasn't been pushed or tested, physically or mentally. Great set-up for his Tour. He hasn't had to fight much for pink, and it's been a few years since we've seen a real fight...

Hate to start out the day so negative, but this has to be my nominee for dumb/troll post of the day.

And there has been several at the top of the heap. What do they call it....'poe-ism' ?..... I had to go look it up, it's poe's law....
Poe's Law states: “Without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism."

There was another yesterday where I was hoping the poster was being sarcastic/facetious. If serious, one must wonder what the poster is watching, or not watching, or if they are watching at all.

May 12, 2015
Visit site
harryh said:
5.70 - 5.80 W/kg [CPL]

If he keeps progressing the way he is progressing all Alberto will need is a bicycle to beat the FQN trio.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Carols said:
harryh said:
5.70 - 5.80 W/kg [CPL]

You do know there was still 30+km to go on the stage and he had a healthy lead in GC, right? Had it been the final climb I'm sure the #s would have been different.

He seemed to be on his limit on Mortirolo.

harryh said:
Carols said:
harryh said:
5.70 - 5.80 W/kg [CPL]

When? :confused:

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
harryh said:
Carols said:
harryh said:
5.70 - 5.80 W/kg [CPL]

He wouldn't have attacked Aru if he had been on the limit. He didn't attack later on the Mortirolo because Kruijswijk was happy to work with him.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Jelantik said:
If we all look back.. don't you realize that Contador lost almost 1.30 minutes due to his bad luck?
Not counting the 2 minutes he lost due to the shoulder in the tt then? :p

huh? :confused: I only count his bad luck when it happens, not the effect of it (I'm not dwelling on what shoulda coulda woulda). Held by crash - change bike and puncture when Astana drove on. I was just pointing out he is still 4 minutes after his bad luck, maybe that's his luck too :D .

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
infeXio said:
harryh said:
Carols said:
harryh said:
5.70 - 5.80 W/kg [CPL]

When? :confused:

on the last climb. He said in his interview that it was hard for him. So maybe that's why he couldn't or won't follow Landa. It just logical if he was tired. The 10km prior chasing in the flat hurt him the most. TS has planned to ride fast *based on what rogers said* on Mortirolo, possibly AC will attack there. But we won't know now coz' the lady luck has another plan for AC yesterday.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Carols said:
Electress said:
Did I hear RAI correctly (My italian not ace) that they are going for two leaders for Astana?

My Italian even worse. It wouldn't surprise me if they backed both Aru and Landa. Landa because he is stronger and Aru because he is Italian and this is the Giro and he can still make the podium.

i think they are going to fail miserably. Trufimov and amador won't stop trying. Out of the two, Trufimov is the strongest one. After rest day, Aru was struggling on Mortirolo. Don't know if that's a bad sign of whether or not he can recover for the next two hard stages back to back. Either Landa has to follow Contador or Landa has to attack either way that will dispatch Aru, unless Aru recovers in this 2 days prior to the mountain.

TRENDING THREADS