• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LaFlorecita said:
Singer01 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forunculo said:
Jelantik said:
Does anyone know where Contador now? is he still in altitude or back in his home town (I remembered he said he will stay in altitude for a month). Just saw his tweet, looks like he's not going to gain any weight (like anyone worries). with diet of half of watermellon.. :D

I think he is in Livigno
He's in Lugano I think

instead of saying 'i think he is in XYZ' why not just say, 'i have absolutely no idea where he is', which is what you really mean.
Wtf? What's your issue?!

what issue, i was just having a little laugh at the futility of trying to guess where he is. considering he is the biggest name in the sport, it constantly amuses me how nobody ever seems to know where he is when the world is full of people with 10 megapixel cameras on their phones.
i know you love him (a lot), but not every comment that isn't wholeheartedly supportive of alberto is necessarily an attack on him.

Re:

contador977 said:
At the Route du Sud, what was Contador doing during his stage win? It seems he tried once to drop Quintana on the climb but his attacks were short lived once he saw Quintana cover it. Not sure what to make of this. Quintana looked really easy on that climb and without a gritty decent Im not convinced Contador could have covered an attack by Quintana. Last year Contador was hell bent on dropping Quintana early in the year. If I use Mortirolo as a reference and that TT at the Giro....some of his other performances look like mini bluffs. Possibly Contador does not have the willl to empty his reserves for smaller wins other than the Double. Gonna be an interesting Tour.
Contador was at a good level in the Giro, but he showed that who was really good in the Mortirolo was Landa, that later attacked and put a lot of time to Contador in a bad terrain for him in about 4 km.
Contador did a great ITT, but maybe it looked more becouse Porte and Uran werent at his best. He just put less than 1 minute to Kruijwijk

Landa was in Mortirolo always pulling at the front of his group of Aru, slow for him, but working..contador reduce those 50 seconds by sprinting u8and he is an explosive rider) and "rest" at the wheel of somebody..Pirazzi (1 minute), Antón (2 minutes) Hesjedal (1 minute), and 2 minutes as whell at the wheel of Landa before to attack, later was alway Krujkwik working, with 2 amall pulls of Contador.. 50 second is not a big difference in a climb of 45 min as Mortirolo, but anyway as I said contador climbed 7 minutes more at the wheel os someone than Landa, so the performance was not very different in the Mortirolo, or at least no so differet to let Landa attack in a false flat, drop and put 38 second to Contador (helped by Kruijwick as well in that last km),

So I have no doubt the stronger in the Mortirolo was Landa, despite Contador climbed 50 second faster, and did a performace equvalent to be 30 second faster than Landa, but the difference in getting tired was much more for Contador than Landa that those 30 seconds difference in performance.

Landa did not attack as Contador did next day when Landa had a problem.

If Landa attack att he botton of the Mortirolo could have be a big difference in Aprica, but he was just allowed at the end to get the stage.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Your comment seemed more like an attack on me.
Fwiw, I wasn't "guessing" where he is. Someone asked where he is atm, and I replied that I think he is in Lugano, judging from his comments and tweets.
it wasn't meant to. though looking back i can see how it could be construed that way.

we all know that contador is a modern day scarlet pimpernel, he is cycling's banksy.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
This seems an appropriate time to quote this post

Electress said:
Taxus, I beg of you. No more Landa. You are making me want to quit the forum.
I need to name Landa to analyze Contador performance in the Giro, and someone talk today about Mortirolo, so I just analyze, If you dont want, I am sorry, but this thread is not a fan page.

I give dates, minutes,... after to see again, things like that, but other people just give BS.

Wonder how many will be sacrificed on the altar of Taxus.

Contador977:
At the Route du Sud, what was Contador doing during his stage win? It seems he tried once to drop Quintana on the climb but his attacks were short lived once he saw Quintana cover it. Not sure what to make of this. Quintana looked really easy on that climb and without a gritty decent Im not convinced Contador could have covered an attack by Quintana. Last year Contador was hell bent on dropping Quintana early in the year. If I use Mortirolo as a reference and that TT at the Giro....some of his other performances look like mini bluffs. Possibly Contador does not have the willl to empty his reserves for smaller wins other than the Double. Gonna be an interesting Tour.

Before each and every Grand Tour we have this pessimistic people showing up saying they arent "convinced". Of course soon disappearing after every GT also because the prophecy fails every time. But then again if i got a cent for every time these people where wrong i´ve been rich by now. My biggest hope is actually you guys arent convinced because then i know Alberto has done the right thing. Ryo Hazukis post-Route du Sud comments was the best possible news for the sake of a double.

Now, you could ALSO see the "attacks" in Route as doing the least possible efforts for the sake of winning a low key event. But that would of course interrupting dreams of a "hypotetical" brutal Nairo attack from outer space in a imaginary dreamland covered in Quintana bedsheets.

ILovecycling said:
Matteo. said:
I'm back (@Jack_89) :mad:

I have had the same story of Linkinito and I was cut off for a long time, but I have not stopped to read. But now, i'm ready fort the double :cool:

Code:
Yep, this is me, I'm just using a secondary account because CyclingNews doesn't want to bring back my old account on their new forums. Despite asking for the password mail a billion times, I never recieved it. Well, whatever.
welcome back mate, CN staff sucks :p , now we are gonna enjoy the Tour, what are your predictions? :)

Thanks.

Before the Finestre, I thought it was near the top instead was shown '' the other way ''. So I tried to analyze better the key stages during the last week.
-Great In ITT (he went on to say that he felt 100% only on that day, that's very important!)
- Not so good (on the whole) on the Mortirolo, when he was obviously cumbersome and rigid
- Very well on ologno always on the pedals as not seen for some time
- Bad on Finestre but not crisis. He has managed seemingly quiet.

I think these are erratic performance symptom of a condition good but not as great as last year, so I think that the Giro was only 80% of the form and the objective will be to approach the 100% during the Tour :)

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Its not even close, hes the best GT rider of his generation by a mile and noone even gets to hes knee's in that regard. However disagree with that either cant count :p or havent seen a single GT the last 10 years :p

Simple as that period the end :cool: !

Matteo. said:
ILovecycling said:
Matteo. said:

I have had the same story of Linkinito and I was cut off for a long time, but I have not stopped to read. But now, i'm ready fort the double :cool:

Code:
Yep, this is me, I'm just using a secondary account because CyclingNews doesn't want to bring back my old account on their new forums. Despite asking for the password mail a billion times, I never recieved it. Well, whatever.
welcome back mate, CN staff sucks :p , now we are gonna enjoy the Tour, what are your predictions? :)

Thanks.

Before the Finestre, I thought it was near the top instead was shown '' the other way ''. So I tried to analyze better the key stages during the last week.
-Great In ITT (he went on to say that he felt 100% only on that day, that's very important!)
- Not so good (on the whole) on the Mortirolo, when he was obviously cumbersome and rigid

I think these are erratic performance symptom of a condition good but not as great as last year, so I think that the Giro was only 80% of the form and the objective will be to approach the 100% during the Tour :)

My sentiments exactly, although only time will tell if he actually has timed everything right (because his Giro level will be insufficient at the Tour). I realize it is redundent to say so, but either Alberto will shock his rivals by hitting a peak they daren't imagine, or else he'll be a flop.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm convinced Contador will win the Tour. Never had such a strong feeling last years, it was all about just the overall excitement of the Tour but this year, right now, I feel like I'm just about to witness Contador's win and double.

2011 he failed, this year he will succeed. And he will win Alpe d'huez.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
Bertie his the greatest rider of his generation.

Contador survived many 'generations'.

A small bit of armstrong. The schlecks, menchov, sastre, evans. And now he's still there with the new ones.

BlurryVII said:
I'm convinced Contador will win the Tour. Never had such a strong feeling last years, it was all about just the overall excitement of the Tour but this year, right now, I feel like I'm just about to witness Contador's win and double.

He has a good chance if he's the first of the GC guys after the first week. If he can pull that off, i'll be a hugh step

Matteo. said:
ILovecycling said:
Matteo. said:

Code:

Thanks.

Just one question.. if Alberto is not on the podium or not at the level necessary to win... Will youl say the same or that Contador was at his best in a hard Giro and he is tired?

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
Matteo. said:
ILovecycling said:
Matteo. said:

Code:

Thanks.

Just one question.. if Alberto is not on the podium or not at the level necessary to win... Will youl say the same or that Contador was at his best in a hard Giro and he is tired?

Just a question: If Alberto wins, will you STFU and admit he is just the best? Because he proves you wrong all the time, it's laughable.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
Landa did not attack as Contador did next day when Landa had a problem.

If Landa attack att he botton of the Mortirolo could have be a big difference in Aprica, but he was just allowed at the end to get the stage.

Come again. Last time I checked Landa was part of Astana and Astana very much attacked when AC had his issue. I sure as hell didn't see him sit up and wait for AC. You are delusional if you think otherwise.

Taxus4a said:
Matteo. said:
ILovecycling said:
Matteo. said:

Code:

Thanks.

Good question, the truth is that I do not know, I must first see how Alberto behaves in some stages

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
If he attacks on the mur, then i think he's gonna be really good. If he loses there like 20 sec, and even though it's really early in the tour i think he'll have no chance.

Taxus4a said:
Matteo. said:
ILovecycling said:
Matteo. said:

I have had the same story of Linkinito and I was cut off for a long time, but I have not stopped to read. But now, i'm ready fort the double

Code:
welcome back mate, CN staff sucks , now we are gonna enjoy the Tour, what are your predictions? :)

Thanks.

Well since you and I both know that when AC is at 100% no rider can beat him; if he gets beat, then we will know he wasn't at 100%. There's some perfect logic for you. :p :)

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
If he attacks on the mur, then i think he's gonna be really good. If he loses there like 20 sec, and even though it's really early in the tour i think he'll have no chance.

Some peoples logic never seize to surprise me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
What's so obviously wrong there? Even if a loss of 20 seconds were not at all indicative of climbing form later on, which is absurd, a loss of 20 seconds itself decreases a rider's chance to win the Tour appreciably.

Re:

Miburo said:

He 'll finish in top 5, i'm quite sure

SeriousSam said:
What's so obviously wrong there? Even if a loss of 20 seconds were not at all indicative of climbing form later on, which is absurd, a loss of 20 seconds itself decreases a rider's chance to win the Tour appreciably.

a loss of 20s for a rider like Alberto is an absurd, it will never happen. I accept bets

Miburo said:
ray j willings said:
Bertie his the greatest rider of his generation.

Contador survived many 'generations'.

A small bit of armstrong. The schlecks, menchov, sastre, evans. And now he's still there with the new ones.

BlurryVII said:

He has a good chance if he's the first of the GC guys after the first week. If he can pull that off, i'll be a hugh step

It's a remarkable stretch of staying at or near the top.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Contador has left Lugano and he is now training in la Sierra around Madrid, as he usually does just before the Tour with climbs like navacerrada, morcuero, bola del mundo.

I'd say he is now testing his form and his numbers, he has some personal time records there to compare with last years.
He probably already knows by now if he has the form / wattage to win the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS