• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Carols said:
BlurryVII said:
Contador was right on Purito's wheel at the crash on the right side of the road, ended up 8 seconds behind the group Purito bridged to. Sigh.

This was today??? :(

Yeah today, he was on Purito's wheel with a good momentum when the crash happened, then next thing you know Purito bridged to the Sagan group at front and we see Contador behind sitting down and watching behind for no reason waiting for Valverde to take a pull.

He pretty much lost 11 seconds to Purito there.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
Carols said:
BlurryVII said:
Contador was right on Purito's wheel at the crash on the right side of the road, ended up 8 seconds behind the group Purito bridged to. Sigh.

Yeah today, he was on Purito's wheel with a good momentum when the crash happened, then next thing you know Purito bridged to the Sagan group at front and we see Contador behind sitting down and watching behind for no reason waiting for Valverde to take a pull.

Are you saying he was dropped or left behind because of the crash? I didn't see it. I only saw he was on Valverde's wheel moments after, but not that he was at Purtios wheel.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

rm7 said:
BlurryVII said:
Carols said:
BlurryVII said:

Are you saying he was dropped or left behind because of the crash? I didn't see it. I only saw he was on Valverde's wheel moments after, but not that he was at Purtios wheel.

You just have to rewatch the chopper's view of the crash, you'll see Purito and Contador flying past the crash on the right side of the road.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I just saw. JRod and Contador took the right side and rode past the crash, and Rod bridged to the group, but Contador didn't and was caught by Valverde.

But I wouldn't expect Contador to glose that gap in a finish like this.

BlurryVII said:
rm7 said:
BlurryVII said:
Carols said:
BlurryVII said:

You just have to rewatch the chopper's view of the crash, you'll see Purito and Contador flying past the crash on the right side of the road.

Why would he bother? unless he wanted to help Sagan (which i doubt very much)

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Everyone whining about Contador must really have alzheimer the DUDE just won the giro a month ago and if you know anything about cycling you would know everyone says its impossible to do the giro-tour double at this age of cycling just keep that in mind holy moly. (had to type it when I actually saw something as stupid as contador was finished ROFL :p )

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't see the big deal with that time gap though. He lost more speed than Rodriguez as they went by Froome and after that is hard to say if he went full gas chasing a more explosive Rodriguez.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
After the crash there is little point expending the energy, all his rivals were behind him and were going to get the same time, if he did lose 11 secs to JRod then I think he thought it's not worth expending the energy, it's highly unlikely he's going to lose the tour to JRod by 11 seconds.

ad9898 said:
After the crash there is little point expending the energy, all his rivals were behind him and were going to get the same time, if he did lose 11 secs to JRod then I think he thought it's not worth expending the energy, it's highly unlikely he's going to lose the tour to JRod by 11 seconds.

I will grasp this explanation, otherwise it's to depressing to contemplate....

ad9898 said:

The point is he didn't lose any time to Rodriguez (or anyone else for that matter) at the end. They just believe that not following Purito equals being weak or blowing up...

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Judgement on Contador's form should be withheld until after Stage 10. Short, explosive efforts on Huy and Bretagne seem to me to be the hardest on a rider who went deep in the Giro.

bajbar said:
ad9898 said:

The point is he didn't lose any time to Rodriguez (or anyone else for that matter) at the end. They just believe that not following Purito equals being weak or blowing up...

Unless there is a video showing that he actually tried to follow Purito, there can't be any conclusions about riders' shape from this stage

Re:

TI-Raleigh said:
Judgement on Contador's form should be withheld until after Stage 10. Short, explosive efforts on Huy and Bretagne seem to me to be the hardest on a rider who went deep in the Giro.

It is because he went so deep in winning the Giro that there is so much cause for concern. That and the fact that he has shown little so far in this race beyond grimace faces. Okay his ITT was meh, not horrible, just meh.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I still stand by my prediction that his 'build up' after the Giro was purely recovery, it had to be as to not overly push his body... he knew that unless he had bad luck there was little time to be lost in the first week of the tour which he would use to build his form (or drop a kilo or two) ahead of the final week and a half. Mark my words he's going to be very strong come the end of the Tour. I don't bet but if the odds are long on him winning at this point I'd put a small wager on.... You can all praise my prediction at the end of the Tour :D

Re:

ad9898 said:
I still stand by my prediction that his 'build up' after the Giro was purely recovery, it had to be as to not overly push his body... he knew that unless he had bad luck there was little time to be lost in the first week of the tour which he would use to build his form (or drop a kilo or two) ahead of the final week and a half. Mark my words he's going to be very strong come the end of the Tour. I don't bet but if the odds are long on him winning at this point I'd put a small wager on.... You can all praise my prediction at the end of the Tour :D
I agree with you, and Bjarne and Philippe Mauduit (ex-Tinkoff DS) said the same.

Frankly I think he expended a lot of energy getting back to the front before the red kite and the crash helped him. Really bad positioning by AC and Tinkoff over the last 3KM. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about his form however. It looked like he cruised in.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Energy Starr said:
Unless I'm mistaken, AC got the same time as JRod. Sooo...
AC absolutely did the right thing. Why would he try to close that gap. Wasted energy on Jrod's part.

Actually think Jrod was helping out Kristoff.

Frankly I think he expended a lot of energy getting back to the front before the red kite and the crash helped him. Really bad positioning by AC and Tinkoff over the last 3KM. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about his form however. It looked like he cruised in. And he got the ST as the Sagan group.

Re:

Publicus said:
Frankly I think he expended a lot of energy getting back to the front before the red kite and the crash helped him. Really bad positioning by AC and Tinkoff over the last 3KM. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about his form however. It looked like he cruised in.

Everyone has his point of view. But i agree , i'm thinking i was only one who observed it. Luckily it wasn't Mur de Bretagne , otherwise, good or bad shape , he would have lost some seconds

TRENDING THREADS