• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1196 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Kwibus said:
Reality is that Froome respects Contador as he has said plenty before.
He said it a few times, but he doesn't really show it. Am I supposed to just take his word for it? While he never shows any respect?
And the **** he wrote in his biography actually points the other way.

I think he does respect Alberto and has always talked him up to be his biggest rival. Fair enough he isn't in this Tour and that's why he hasn't mentioned Contador a lot compared to Tejay and Quintana. As I've said before I bet half of the rubbish in that book is just pimped up by the editor to sell copies.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Let's see what happens on Mende, if Contador looks even better than today and manages somehow to take some time back, it's game on.

I'm keen to see his progression, if there's any.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

damian13ster said:
And for the last bolded part: Yay!! you got a single thing right in a post (if you go couple of pages back I complimented Contador on his ride today). Contador rode good today but he didn't need domestiques, they should go for stage wins.

Of course you complimented him, because he is still harmless and 4 minutes off in GC. If he was in yellow at this point, you wouldn't be posting every 2 seconds in this thread trying to prove us wrong everytime or saying he is preventing Majka from doing well.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Kwibus said:

I think Contadors attack was more in hope that Froome would respond so that he would shed Porte earlier.

He did eventually. He attacked.. dunno why and dropped Thomas. Only Quintana and Contador were able to follow. Too bad he wasn't continuing, because Quintana and contador would likely to benefit them since Froome dropped most everybody, including his team mate.

No_Balls said:
We all interpret it differently. I read in an attempt to pretend he "barely" saw the attack just to deliberately play down its significance, which he is of course right about, although said in a highly arrogance fashion. The arrogance continues when he "hails" Contador as "more explosive" than Quintana (as everybody knows already) which sounds in the context as an insult given Quintanas attempts today, before ending on a belittling note.

Complete douchebag.

Where did he say he 'barely' saw the attack?

Mick Rogers apparently let it slip that they're now racing for second. Problem is, after a stronger performance yesterday, Contador might be thinking that the podium is achievable by just hoping others drop on the remaining MTFs. Kind of a shame if so as I'd like to see some more interesting tactics and especially going for a stage win.

Jelantik said:
Kwibus said:

I think Contadors attack was more in hope that Froome would respond so that he would shed Porte earlier.

He did eventually. He attacked.. dunno why and dropped Thomas. Only Quintana and Contador were able to follow. Too bad he wasn't continuing, because Quintana and contador would likely to benefit them since Froome dropped most everybody, including his team mate.

This was pretty baffling. I was hoping that Contador or Valverde went over the top of Froome at this point, but neither had the legs (lungs) at that point to press the attack. I think that's Froome's weakness--his need to assert his dominance (which is the only thing I can think that he was trying to do). Hopefully Contador continues to improve, if so, between him, Valverde and Quintana, there's a chance to crack Froome.

Pricey_sky said:
LaFlorecita said:
Kwibus said:
He said it a few times, but he doesn't really show it. Am I supposed to just take his word for it? While he never shows any respect?
And the **** he wrote in his biography actually points the other way.

I think he does respect Alberto and has always talked him up to be his biggest rival. Fair enough he isn't in this Tour and that's why he hasn't mentioned Contador a lot compared to Tejay and Quintana. As I've said before I bet half of the rubbish in that book is just pimped up by the editor to sell copies.

In the end Froome is responsible for every word in that book and must take the heat for it.

LaFlorecita said:

Well that sucks. I don't think it is to pull the wool over anyone's eyes either :(

I had this hope that tomorrow they would try a coup but when they put the team up front today for Sagan it seemed remote.

Still who else could even think about a Vuelta win, a Giro win and a Tour podium in a row as a possibility. Only One, the Great Alberto Contador!

Afrank said:
LaFlorecita said:

Perhaps he's just lulling Froome into a false sense of security and is planning to attack on Croix de Fer. Maybe Nairo, Nibs and Valverde will even join him.

I'm a dreamer though. :eek:

I have no doubts that if he feels good he will attack in the Alpes. But the team is resetting their goals :(.

BTW Great to see you Afrank!

Carols said:
Afrank said:
LaFlorecita said:

Perhaps he's just lulling Froome into a false sense of security and is planning to attack on Croix de Fer. Maybe Nairo, Nibs and Valverde will even join him.

I'm a dreamer though. :eek:

I have no doubts that if he feels good he will attack in the Alpes. But the team is resetting their goals :(.

BTW Great to see you Afrank!

+9999

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Mende is contador's hill.

648x415_joie-espagnol-alberto-contador-remporte-4e-etape-paris-nice-15-mars-2007-mende-1.jpg

[
589096-10357720-640-360.jpg

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador was btw the best there too fleur, purito wheelsucked him on the hill like always.

Yea first he attacked, contador took over and almost cracked purito. Then the vino thing happened lol

warmfuzzies said:
Brod710 said:
warmfuzzies said:
When was the last time Contador won the Tour? I think 2009 is the correct response. 6 years from the peak of his mountain. Giro? Vuelta? These are lesser Tours, contested by those who feel themselves unable to contest the TdF. Contador winning the Vuelta? Please. Roberto Heras won 4 of them. It's the consolation prize. Giro? Tough parcours, but contested by those who have decided not to race for the Big Prize.

If people don't include 2010 than they should also not forget, that his only focused tour attempts after his last win were 2013 and 2014 and in one of those races he crashed out. It sounds great (from the perspective of a critic) to say, that he won his last Tour 6 years ago, but I think the details speak another language.

Crashing out . . . is what TdF champions avoid. How many Tours did Indurain crash out of?
No, Contador's Tour form in 2013 and 2014 was lacking. He just hasn't had the Tour champion level since 2009.
He's doing the right thing, focusing on the lesser Tours and continuing to cash checks.
Enough :mad:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Poursuivant said:
No way Contador has gave up on yellow
I don't believe it either, he is a stubborn, tough little cookie.. The team has a point of course but think it's weird they're so vocal about going for a podium now :confused:

Fleur you're 4 minutes behind. It's easy to say you go for podium, don't create any expectations like in 2013.

If contador doesn't improve then that will be the goal, but i guarantee you that if he gets better he'll attack from 50,60,70,80,90km.

Pick the number, you can book it.

TRENDING THREADS