• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1198 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:
Contador was 4:08 adrift of the yellow jersey following stage 9 of the 2014 Tour. In that Tour, he had not won a stage prior to crashing out. He's actually doing better this year! Chapeau Contador, you are 1 year older and only 4:04 back. What a champion!!!!

I was trying to find which current rider has the most TDF wins but I can't find the information anywhere. WF could you help me?

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:
Contador was 4:08 adrift of the yellow jersey following stage 9 of the 2014 Tour. In that Tour, he had not won a stage prior to crashing out. He's actually doing better this year! Chapeau Contador, you are 1 year older and only 4:04 back. What a champion!!!!

Do you insinuate he's not?!!! He has more GT's than whole peloton together!!!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:
Poursuivant said:
No way Contador has gave up on yellow
I don't believe it either, he is a stubborn, tough little cookie.. The team has a point of course but think it's weird they're so vocal about going for a podium now :confused:

Maybe it is a deflection by the team????? Or the team has reset but not Alberto? Either way he will do everything he can to make a difference, of that I have no doubts.

maybe this is the jedi mind trick thingie that they did with the media. Deflecting the goal. One can hope the fuente De repeat its history. But you can't really plan an assault if you are proclaiming out there that you are still in the hunt. Let other believe he is vulnerable. Let other riders believe in false security. Element of surprise best serve by talking down your goal.. :D But of course, don't know if that will work or not.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:

I will not respond to you ever again !. End

He looked good in the final today. Rhino didn't just chase him down easily and was behind when the final downhill started. I'm not saying he's gonna drop Froome tomorrow or in the Alps, but it does seem his form is surprisingly good. I lay him to rest the other day after Saint Pierre, but I might have to reconsider. Hopefully.

Nibali put gazillions of watts yes, great numbers. But given the amount of effort he had to do in order to gain time on everyone (after Contador's crash and prior to Hautacam), which was close to taking a dump, nobody can say that Contador wouldn't be able to gain time on him. Surely it can't be said that he could, but neither that he couldn't.

Having easy rides because of lack of competition gave him the chance to recover well. Had his competition being stronger, as this year, he'd have tremendous difficulty in answering attacks from both Contador and Froome, who by the way aren't diesel climbers as Horner and Nibali are.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
what's everyone prediction tomorrow's stage? Some says it will be raining...so that's a good news for contador. Should Contador wait for someone to attack first and follow or should he start the attack? or will he drop like a stone again? The vibe of the double is died down, press wasn't buzzing about him again, i was hoping he was flying under the radar. Just like Nibali who lost so much time and people seem to write him off. (but he could win a stage). WInning a stage would be awesome for me.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

arvc40 said:
warmfuzzies said:

What could you possibly say???

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Energy Starr said:
warmfuzzies said:

I was trying to find which current rider has the most TDF wins but I can't find the information anywhere. WF could you help me?

In the history books, friend-o, you will find all sorts of TdF facts.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:
When was the last time Contador won the Tour? I think 2009 is the correct response. 6 years from the peak of his mountain. Giro? Vuelta? These are lesser Tours, contested by those who feel themselves unable to contest the TdF. Contador winning the Vuelta? Please. Roberto Heras won 4 of them. It's the consolation prize. Giro? Tough parcours, but contested by those who have decided not to race for the Big Prize.

Wow!!! You have some nerve to throw this opinion of yours here.

You're entitled to your opinion, but, my opinion is that you're f**ked up in your head. Objectively, history will place Contador as one of the GOATs.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's getting really tiresome to see this "Let's wait for the Alps and attack there" mentality shown by the chasing pack, AC included. It is next to impossible to take between 3-4 mins on Froome in the Alps. I just don't see it happening. AC it is somewhat understandable, as he presumably is using this excuse to recover a bit. But even he should know it's a goner. None of his attacks on the Alps in the previous years have really put more than a handful of seconds on the chasers, certainly not in the range of minutes, as is needed. Nairo what is he waiting for? Certainly not going to have the time and room to take 3 mins. These guys have left it too late. Only TJ has played it beautifully, he is going to get on the podium. Chapeau!

Also, the Alps are notorious for winds, when going both uphill and downhill. So more often than not, the attacks don't create too much of gaps. Usually the chasers are able to limit losses and bridge some.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

warmfuzzies said:
arvc40 said:
warmfuzzies said:

What could you possibly say???

I am obviously a Bertie fan and I don't think we all have to agree. If Bertie is riding bad there is no point pretending he's not and I welcome debate. I am getting accused of being a troll on the Quintana page because I think he "Quintana" has been a disappointment.

But some of your comments do seem to be trying to wind us Bertie fans up. "Don't bite Bertie fans"
I am happy for some great debate and interesting points of view if you get any feel free to post them :D

sunnyIce said:
It's getting really tiresome to see this "Let's wait for the Alps and attack there" mentality shown by the chasing pack, AC included. It is next to impossible to take between 3-4 mins on Froome in the Alps. I just don't see it happening. AC it is somewhat understandable, as he presumably is using this excuse to recover a bit. But even he should know it's a goner. None of his attacks on the Alps in the previous years have really put more than a handful of seconds on the chasers, certainly not in the range of minutes, as is needed. Nairo what is he waiting for? Certainly not going to have the time and room to take 3 mins. These guys have left it too late. Only TJ has played it beautifully, he is going to get on the podium. Chapeau!

Also, the Alps are notorious for winds, when going both uphill and downhill. So more often than not, the attacks don't create too much of gaps. Usually the chasers are able to limit losses and bridge some.
Its not tiresome. The heat, humidity, Sky and Froome have been at them. All of them are tired in the legs. You saw how they attacked on stage 12, they put in some exploratory which did not even trouble Thomas let alone Froome. The only other person full of energy looks to be Valverde and he is not a contender. TJ as DB already mentioned is not in the Fab 4 class and will be beaten in the Alps. So the other contenders are slowly recovering and waiting their time to strike. Not much they can do either if Froome proves to be too strong.

sunnyIce said:

Are you suggesting that they should have taken off into strong headwinds, languished and suffered, toiling away only to be reeled in, dropped and ultimately ended with losses more insurmountable than what had prior? There is still time but when met with a rival and team that has shown extreme depth and strength one has to pick and choose their battles, not just go all wiily-nilly.

Depressing to see Piti go past Alberto today. Just doesn't have the level this year and I doubt he will improve. Think he should pursue a podium (3rd after Dawg and Nairo). It would make his season seem more like a succes (any other rider than Alberto would die for a season like that), especially considering that he hasn't had his 2014 level. Hopefully Nairo has what it takes in the alps.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Will do 3rd at best, otherside a top5 is secure.. Valverde seems at the same level as Contador, and the climb wasn't suited to Van Garderen.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Depressing to see Piti go past Alberto today. Just doesn't have the level this year and I doubt he will improve. Think he should pursue a podium (3rd after Dawg and Nairo). It would make his season seem more like a succes (any other rider than Alberto would die for a season like that), especially considering that he hasn't had his 2014 level. Hopefully Nairo has what it takes in the alps.

Ouch that was depressing. Getting dropped by Froome and Quintana was bad enough. Valverde putting 20 seconds on him in what the last hundred meters of climbing + descent/flat sprint? That was hard to see.

TRENDING THREADS