• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm not exactly a fan of Contador but while watching his interview at Eurosport today I couldn't help but notice how good looking he is.
(I know that this confession is not relevant to the thread :D )

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I would love to see Quintana and Froome going to the Giro next year... then face Contador in top shape at the Tour. Would be enlightening to see !

Edit: Unfortunately, they don't have the cojones to even dare to try it. They pick their battles.

As a first and foremost a cycling fan and decidedly one of the Alberto CN family I would prefer he gets a podium. To ride 3 straight GTs and end with 1st-1st-3rd is nothing to sneeze at in the annuls of cycling history.

At this point unless there is some significant improvement a kamikaze attack will net him the same thing it got Il Pirata. Now that was embarressing :(. But if he can go kamikaze and win a stage that will be totally cool and the best we can expect along with a 3rd.

Meanwhile Bala looks strong, I hope he tanks, and you all know I Do Like Bala!

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Carols said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
So who all has added warmfuzzies to the block list? I still think AC will get 3rd, by the way. Not the result most of us wanted, but still great.

Well I certainly have but people keep quoting him so I still see most of his garbage.

Right up in your eye with a little 'Contador is DONE'. He's gonna get dropped like 3rd period French on Alp D'Huez.

Re:

BlurryVII said:
I would love to see Quintana and Froome going to the Giro next year... then face Contador in top shape at the Tour. Would be enlightening to see !

Edit: Unfortunately, they don't have the cojones to even dare to try it. They pick their battles.

The bitter truth is the Giro has not influence on him.
And 'all year that goes slowly. . In February, when he won in Andalucia he has produced 5.7 w / kg on the climb. In may, at the Giro on Mortirolo , the same values and the other day on the Pierre also.
Always about 5.7 w / kg, it is clear that Alberto is the problem, not the Giro. The difference is that now struggle with Froome and Quintana, while in the Giro there were Aru and Landa who was stopped by the team.
This probably is not a so good year , as 2010

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Re:

BlurryVII said:

Uhh. The best-of-the-best compete for Overall @ the Tour. The best of the rest for the Giro. The Vuelta is the 'last chance dance' for favorites salvaging their season or super domestiques on a good year. Like Roberto Heras, with his 4 Vuelta crowns. So no, you AREN'T going to see Qunitana or Froome contest the Giro. At least not until they are past their prime.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Matteo. said:
BlurryVII said:

The bitter truth is the Giro has not influence on him.
And 'all year that goes slowly. . In February, when he won in Andalucia he has produced 5.7 w / kg on the climb. In may, at the Giro on Mortirolo , the same values and the other day on the Pierre also.
Always about 5.7 w / kg, it is clear that Alberto is the problem, not the Giro. The difference is that now struggle with Froome and Quintana, while in the Giro there were Aru and Landa who was stopped by the team.
This probably is not a so good year , as 2010

His 2010 level would have been enough to smoke both Froome and Quintana though. He would've never been dropped, that's for sure.

And yeah, because he is supposed to be as strong in February as he is the Tour, right ? Plus, it was NOT 5.7 but 5.99 w/kg up hazallanas.

He's been really good in february, better than 2014. And then he took it easy for double purposes that's why he was off in both Tirreno and Catalunya.

Then he clearly said he was not in top top form for the Giro to be able to be good at the Tour but you can see it clearly didn't work.

Now if he didn't aim for the double, the build up would've been entirely different and we would've seen a completely different Contador. The fact that he was chasing and thinking double all season has affected his performances overall.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

warmfuzzies said:
BlurryVII said:

Uhh. The best-of-the-best compete for Overall @ the Tour. The best of the rest for the Giro. The Vuelta is the 'last chance dance' for favorites salvaging their season or super domestiques on a good year. Like Roberto Heras, with his 4 Vuelta crowns. So no, you AREN'T going to see Qunitana or Froome contest the Giro. At least not until they are past their prime.

Of course, that's why Quintana went for Giro - Vuelta last year. Dumb kid.

Re:

BlurryVII said:

maybe you gotta give them a couple of years. contador didn't aim the giro-tour until he had 5 gt victories in the bag.

warmfuzzies said:
BlurryVII said:

You put to much stock in the Tour. Some great cyclist only want to do Tour. Other great cyclist want to have wins in all 3 gt's.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Carols said:
As a first and foremost a cycling fan and decidedly one of the Alberto CN family I would prefer he gets a podium. To ride 3 straight GTs and end with 1st-1st-3rd is nothing to sneeze at in the annuls of cycling history.

At this point unless there is some significant improvement a kamikaze attack will net him the same thing it got Il Pirata. Now that was embarressing :(. But if he can go kamikaze and win a stage that will be totally cool and the best we can expect along with a 3rd.

Meanwhile Bala looks strong, I hope he tanks, and you all know I Do Like Bala!

I'm rooting for the same thing for AC. Froome today didn't look invincible either. At one time he chased quintana like mad,.. he stood.. violently throwing his bike left to right, pretty funny... kinda like tommy v, w/o the tongue :D . If like most of the world think froome is going to fade on the Alps, Contador better get his form trajecting upward on time for the third week. Other wise he won't be taking advantage of it. (still he won't winning it, but the sight of him passing Froome like last Vuelta.. is sweet like a buttah'.. :D

warmfuzzies said:
BlurryVII said:

Oh, good Lord, I haven't seen a post like this since the Armstrong fanboys were posting during his glory days.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador has now 3 full days to try and get better. Wednesday it starts and seeing how he clearly gets better he'll try something. (unlike in 2013 where he just got worse and worse)

I don't think anything will happen monday unless it rains like in 2011.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

warmfuzzies said:
Miburo said:
Guy won the giro and is still in contention for the podium, and some try to troll into how bad he is? Should have been here in 2013, they you had some material

He hasnt won the Tour in 6 years. Last year, he was 4:08 behind (zero stage wins) when he crashed out trying to take time on a descent. This year, zero stage wins, getting dropped regularly by the podium contenders, 4:20ish back. If you cant see a trend, you are truly blind. He's on the downslope of his career. His team should focus him on lesser Tours (Giro, Vuelta) while grooming a young gun for the TdF.

This season Bertie has beaten Froome in a ITT and dropped him with 10 k to go he also just beat Quintana in a stage race as well as winning the Giro.
I do think Bertie is not in 2014 form but he is still young enough if he has the capabilities to get back into 2014 form and make a serious 2016 tour challenge. Your post does not really tell the true picture just another one of your usual "lets knock Bertie post's"

For some one who has just won the Giro and a recent stage race he's doing pretty well so far and is hanging in there among those who have only focused on this one race. I would like to See Froome or Quintana emulate Bertie and do better ,,,oh yeah they were to scared to try.....

Still waiting for you to post something worthy at the minute it's just obvious baiting :D

TRENDING THREADS