• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1217 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
ninjadriver said:
BlurryVII said:
ninjadriver said:
Astana clearly wanted an Italian to win, and I think it cost them the race. I believe Landa would have overtaken El Pistolero, despite the 5 minute gap; he was that strong and Contador was that exhausted. And I'm a HUGE Contador fan.

Some people have got to stop with that.

Landa would have NEVER overtaken Contador, in any scenario. He attacked on Finestre, went for it and got caught up on Sestrière from there he worked for Aru because he couldn't maintain his lead.

If he had attacked earlier on the Mortirolo, he would've been alone in the descent and flat section before Aprica against Contador and Kruiskwijk relaying each other behind. And he would've been less strong up Aprica as well. Because he wouldn't have been wheelsucking for the last 30 kms.

Then what? No where else he could've taken time. He finished 3 minutes off. 3 minutes. Even if he was leader, when the **** would he have taken those 3 minutes back?

I know Contador after watching him closely for 7 years, and he was more than vulnerable to Landa, whom Astana called back to help Aru repeatedly.

We disagree. Fair enough. We'll never know, although it would have been terrific had Contador skipped the TDF, where he had no chance off of his Giro efforts, and locked horns with Landa again at this year's Vuelta.

The fact that you've watched him closely for 7 years, is irrelevant to the discussion and doesn't give your deluded opinion more value.
I don't think you're a fan of Contador either, you just have no idea of his abilities. You're almost bashing him is some of your posts, calling yourself a fan is laughable.

I get the "ZEROOOO SHOTTTT" you kept on repeating again and again about the double but now you're going on the wrong terrain. Contador won the Giro, there's no "we'll never know ", he beat Landa and would've beaten him in any scenario. End of the story.

You sound like an extremely insecure human being. There's no need to get personal and launch juvenile attacks against other posters when we're discussing public, professional people.

And I was correct about the ZERO SHOT, wasn't I? Were you fair and secure, you would grant me that.

No worries, Blurry, I will never respond to one of your posts again. Not worth your time or mine.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

ninjadriver said:
You sound like an extremely insecure human being. There's no need to get personal and launch juvenile attacks against other posters when we're discussing public, professional people.

And I was correct about the ZERO SHOT, wasn't I? Were you fair and secure, you would grant me that.

No worries, Blurry, I will never respond to one of your posts again. Not worth your time or mine.

When you have no argument, there's no point saying "Landa would've clawed back the x minutes deficit".

Your assumptions are not even interesting, it's just "oh yeah, if Landa was leader, he would've taken +6 minutes on the mortirolo stage", what's up with that ? IIRC Contador was only 1 minute behind before the Mortirolo climb. Have you even watched that stage closely? Being leader or not wouldn't have changed much because Landa would've been on his own for more than 35 kms.

You and some others are being biased by the Finestre day. Contador was more than solid in the Giro.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Angliru said:
Poursuivant said:
Question: When you look at Contador's GC record, he is pretty much first or nothing. Last year, let's be brutally honest, it was Froome or Contador for the win in theTDF, and they both seemed relatively evenly matched on the climbs although, in my opinion, in the Dauphine, Froome was stronger. Anyway, next year, with Contador targeting TDF first, what do you children make of that? Have we heard anything on next years tour route, i.e. what is the amount of TT in it?

Contador showed that he could follow Froome manic accelerations last year. No one else has shown the ability to do so. If Contador can get back to the form he had in 2014, and depending on the amount of tt kms, he will be the one left challenge Froome. Quintana if he continues to mature will be be just bit below them IMO. Nibali needs to make the same sacrifices he made in 2014 to reach his Tour level that year to be a factor. I don't see him doing so.

contador should back to TDF. He hasn't been podium or even win TDF after his ban. So he got some unfinished business to take care before he rides to the sunset. He can start win his early season like 2014. I want to watch contador on his last year winning races as much as I can. Whether we realize it or not, next year is his last year.

Nibali should go back to Giro, so he will actually race through out the season instead of watching him soft pedal all season. I don't like he is putting his egg on TDF basket. I hope he won't repeat his andy's schleck method of peaking at the Tour only.

I still think Quintana is still below those two (Froome/Contador). The only thing Contador can win the tour, if luck is in his side. By now, he knows that this isn't his tour. 2014 he was at his tip top shape just to crash out. 2015, he came back with the same situation as 2013. (doesn't get form to be competitive).

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

contador should back to TDF. He hasn't been podium or even win TDF after his ban. So he got some unfinished business to take care before he rides to the sunset. He can start win his early season like 2014. I want to watch contador on his last year winning races as much as I can. Whether we realize it or not, next year is his last year.

Nibali should go back to Giro, so he will actually race through out the season instead of watching him soft pedal all season. I don't like he is putting his egg on TDF basket. I hope he won't repeat his andy's schleck method of peaking at the Tour only.

I still think Quintana is still below those two (Froome/Contador). The only thing Contador can win the tour, if luck is in his side. By now, he knows that this isn't his tour. 2014 he was at his tip top shape just to crash out. 2015, he came back with the same situation as 2013. (doesn't get form to be competitive).

Agreed. Though it's hard to say if age has impacted Contador to the point that he's lost a lot of his explosive and hold ability. He certainly had it last year though. Also agree about Quintaka - he does not have the same explosive watts and be able to sustain such power for long enough periods to drop the high-level competitors. This isn't the kind of thing you can really train for either - you're either born with the right amount of fast twitch muscles or not.

LaFlorecita said:
jilbiker said:
damian13ster said:
Jelantik said:
today.. it could have been an interesting attack scenario. Everyone was in position as expected.. except.. contador crashed. That derails everything!.. Dunno this isn't contador's tour. the more he tries, the more he got kicked on his gut..

http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/crash-on-col-dallos-disarms-promising-tinkoff-saxo-strategy-contador-loses-214/

Wasn't the entire thing contingent on Contador getting away before the top of Allos?
Since that didn't happen then the strategy and helpers were kind of useless.

I didn't see any fire or fiesta for a sustained attack. You have to be on another planet level to significantly disturb the sky train. He seemed quite normal today. He should enjoy the next few days. Sky may actually let him go with a break.
Sky may - though I doubt it - but Movistar won't.
The Sky Train was gone by the top of the Allos - does that mean moviestar were on another planet? I don't think so Sky was under pressure all day

ninjadriver said:
Metabolol said:
Contador has improved a bit ( at least in a relative sense) but he had no realistic chance of winning anyways. Maybe he can win on alpe d'huez if Quintana and Froome get tangled up and focus on each other. He has to attack before the final climb though. But the crash might have put an end to that hope.

Contador doesn't have the legs to attack effectively.

Wash - Rinse - Repeat

His attack yesterday looked quite good and he wasn't even going all out. A shame Movistar decided to chase him.

I must also say that your aggressive way of posting is quite irritating. Get off your high horse and have a normal conversation with us.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
ninjadriver said:
Metabolol said:
Contador has improved a bit ( at least in a relative sense) but he had no realistic chance of winning anyways. Maybe he can win on alpe d'huez if Quintana and Froome get tangled up and focus on each other. He has to attack before the final climb though. But the crash might have put an end to that hope.

Wash - Rinse - Repeat

His attack yesterday looked quite good and he wasn't even going all out. A shame Movistar decided to chase him.

I must also say that your aggressive way of posting is quite irritating. Get off your high horse and have a normal conversation with us.
I agree, with both points. :D

It looked pretty smooth and I hope he didnt damaged his leg or something, because its the last chance we could see his true Tour level when attempting Giro-Tour double!

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Contador winning the Tour in future is very dependent on weather.

If the weather had been as bad this year, as last year, I would argue he would be either leading or in second behind Quintana at this point in time.... irrespective of having done the Giro.

Sadly, whenever the weather at the Tour is warm and sunny, he always struggles with his allergies, because of the race happening in July..... but, when it rains or is cold, he can match Froome uphill and outclass him downhill.... and then hope to not lose too much in the ITT.

I'm hoping for bad weather the next 3 days, so we get to see what he is really capable of.... but realisticly, he should focus on the Giro and Vuelta for the remainder of his career, and let Majka captain the team in the Tour (not gonna happen, but it would be the smart choice).

Why do you say that 'he (Contador) can match Froome uphill and outclass him downhill...??
Do you realize that Contador frequently crashes downhill? In fact he has crashed downhill in his last 3 Tours at a big cost to himself. Whereas Froome has stayed upright and had no problems comfortably staying with Nibali, Valverde, etc. down yesterday's long technical descent. I find it funny how some people persist with this myth that Contador is a great descender and that Froome is a poor descender. It's certainly not based on evidence of the past 3 Tours.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

buchanan said:
Broccolidwarf said:

If the weather had been as bad this year, as last year, I would argue he would be either leading or in second behind Quintana at this point in time.... irrespective of having done the Giro.

Sadly, whenever the weather at the Tour is warm and sunny, he always struggles with his allergies, because of the race happening in July..... but, when it rains or is cold, he can match Froome uphill and outclass him downhill.... and then hope to not lose too much in the ITT.

I'm hoping for bad weather the next 3 days, so we get to see what he is really capable of.... but realisticly, he should focus on the Giro and Vuelta for the remainder of his career, and let Majka captain the team in the Tour (not gonna happen, but it would be the smart choice).

Why do you say that 'he (Contador) can match Froome uphill and outclass him downhill...??
Do you realize that Contador frequently crashes downhill? In fact he has crashed downhill in his last 3 Tours at a big cost to himself. Whereas Froome has stayed upright and had no problems comfortably staying with Nibali, Valverde, etc. down yesterday's long technical descent. I find it funny how some people persist with this myth that Contador is a great descender and that Froome is a poor descender. It's certainly not based on evidence of the past 3 Tours.

I'd agree on the fact Froome is doing great from a bike handling point of view, but Alberto is a good descender also he just a seems a bit rattled right now. Maybe yesterday was the final nail and the weight of double expectations is released and he attacks from far out. This might actually then play into his hands and there's a tiny chance he'll work his way back into the race. Tiny is probably too big!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I'm not sure who posted it yesterday but Nibali has had more crashes in descents than Andy Schleck, is Andy a better descender?
A better descender is willing to take more risks hence that rider is more likely to crash.
Netserk iirc

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's one thing to take risks and it works out. But too often of late Alberto's descending has let him down or caused him to crash. He may well have won last year's Tour had it not been for a lapse in concentration or whatever it was in the Vosges last year when he crashed at 80km/h. (For the record, Nibali said afterward that Contador was descending dangerously when he crashed). Remember in 2013 Froome said the same thing when AC attacked him coming off the Alpe du'Ez? Again Contador crashed and almost took Froome out. Then just yesterday he loses a couple of minutes after crashing downhill.

I just want to know why people (like Broccolidwarf) say that Contador will take time out of Froome on descents? I just want them to name even ONE descent in a Grand Tour where he has taken a chunk of time out of Froome? Just ONE. I have named 3 recent Tour descents where he has crashed all on his own, at a big cost to himself. Especially last year when he was in such good form.

Yet they come on here saying how Froome is going to lose time to Contador on the descents, lose time on the cobbles, etc. I think it's just a combination of wishful thinking and utter bollocks.

Hopefully Contador will have some fire in his belly after the disappointment of this Tour to come back next year in 2014 type shape.

On another note, what do people reckon about whether he would of tried and even accomplished the Tour/Giro double in 2012, had he won his case? Seems that the Giro in particular would have been quite an easy win.

buchanan said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Nobody in the top GC has ridden a decent all out yet this tour..... Nibali himself said yesterday, he did not put the pressure on, on the Allos decent.

Also, you seem to forget I said "rain or cold" as a prerequisite for attacking Froome downhill..... or have you forgotten how he looked going downhill in the wet?

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Broccolidwarf said:
buchanan said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Nobody in the top GC has ridden a decent all out yet this tour..... Nibali himself said yesterday, he did not put the pressure on, on the Allos decent.

Also, you seem to forget I said "rain or cold" as a prerequisite for attacking Froome downhill..... or have you forgotten how he looked going downhill in the wet?

You ask me 'or have you forgotten how he looked going downhill in the wet?'
Please refer me to this descent you speak of. Did Froome lose significant time to Contador and the others? Where was it?

I have given THREE examples of where Contador has crashed, on his own, in the last 3 Tours while going downhill. I am just asking you to give me even ONE example of where he has taken a chunk of time out of Froome on either a wet or dry descent in a recent Grand Tour.

TRENDING THREADS