• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1230 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto confirmed he will race Clasica San Sebastian, and that's his last race of the season.

Yeah, quite early but it's a good decision. He is already thinking on 2016 :)
I hope he can get it right and get his 2014 condition next year. The battle in the mountains between him, Quintana and Froome will be exciting!

Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
BlurryVII said:
Arredondo said:
ad9898 said:
I think having seen Contador in this Tour considering he had to beat the entire Astana team at the Giro, finishing quite high up and being there or there abouts at the end of stages....It says to me that if he peaks for the Tour next year which he says he will, no one in this race could stay with him save Froome on Stage 10, that's it.

Take it easy. Quintana in the Alps would have followed him without a doubt.

Contador is still a world class rider, but not the best by any means. Let's just wait how the situation is next july.

When he is in top form, he is the best. Just on his 2014 Pais Vasco form, he could've won this Tour.

Next year will be great fun when he'll be back on equal terms.

Even i am realistic about Purito, comparing your expectacions about Berto ;)
I don't see something strange in his expectations? :confused: he was great in 2014, if he can get back to that level he is IMO the #1 favorite for the Tour victory.

Re:

ray j willings said:
After watching this tour Froome fans must now realise that Contador's Vuelta win was a true result. Froome cannot perform better than that as he showed in this tour.
Bertie was not even 100% at the Vuelta :D

Neither was Froome... Contador deserved his Vuelta win and Froome deserves his Tour win. Both riders are pretty much equally talented and we have yet to see them both go at eachother at 100% imo.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Arredondo said:
BlurryVII said:
Arredondo said:
ad9898 said:
I think having seen Contador in this Tour considering he had to beat the entire Astana team at the Giro, finishing quite high up and being there or there abouts at the end of stages....It says to me that if he peaks for the Tour next year which he says he will, no one in this race could stay with him save Froome on Stage 10, that's it.

Take it easy. Quintana in the Alps would have followed him without a doubt.

Contador is still a world class rider, but not the best by any means. Let's just wait how the situation is next july.

When he is in top form, he is the best. Just on his 2014 Pais Vasco form, he could've won this Tour.

Next year will be great fun when he'll be back on equal terms.

Even i am realistic about Purito, comparing your expectacions about Berto ;)

Sorry but I'm realistic actually, Contador is the best climber when he is on form, ending point . Don't see what's hard to understand, he raced the Giro here not the others.

Hayabusa said:
ray j willings said:
After watching this tour Froome fans must now realise that Contador's Vuelta win was a true result. Froome cannot perform better than that as he showed in this tour.

Neither was Froome... Contador deserved his Vuelta win and Froome deserves his Tour win. Both riders are pretty much equally talented and we have yet to see them both go at eachother at 100% imo.
Equally talented :rolleyes: They may be on an equal level but where was Froome's talent before 2011? :rolleyes:

LaFlorecita said:
Hayabusa said:
ray j willings said:

Equally talented :rolleyes: Where was Froome's talent before 2011? :rolleyes:

I am clearly talking about the present.. but keep being sour :)

LaFlorecita said:
Hayabusa said:
ray j willings said:

Equally talented :rolleyes: They may be on an equal level but where was Froome's talent before 2011? :rolleyes:

Yeha, not like Contador's "talent" which was developed at ONCE and Discovery...

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Contador definitely is not the best climber on the planet, on the big stage (tdf) where everyone is at peak form he is not the best. For sure he can be incredible in week long stage races or in the vuelta. But let's face it, landa outclimbed him at the giro, no reason to think Froome, Quintana or nibali can't. I think a victory is only possible thanks to his tactical sense, and I think he can win next year's tour but only by hanging on in the climbs and surprising people in echelons.

Re:

Ramon Koran said:
Contador definitely is not the best climber on the planet, on the big stage (tdf) where everyone is at peak form he is not the best. For sure he can be incredible in week long stage races or in the vuelta. But let's face it, landa outclimbed him at the giro, no reason to think Froome, Quintana or nibali can't. I think a victory is only possible thanks to his tactical sense, and I think he can win next year's tour but only by hanging on in the climbs and surprising people in echelons.
Contador wasn't at his best this season.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Walkman said:
LaFlorecita said:
Hayabusa said:
ray j willings said:

Ouch, the greatest hypocrite is back! :eek:

Contador had good results in amateurs even in TTs and was believed to become a great climber and didn't come out of nowhere when he couldn't even pass a climb without hanging on cars :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
ehhh...
epic_facepalm-337095.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Ramon Koran said:

You don't know much about cycling, do you? Do you only watch the Tour?

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
Ramon Koran said:

I watched the giro this year Contador was weak, at last years vuelta he won by hanging on to Froome in the mountains and a brilliant TT. I don't understand what Contador has done since 2011 that suggests he is the best climber, Froome destroyed him in 2013, landa in the giro mountains this year.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Ramon Koran said:
BlurryVII said:
Ramon Koran said:

I watched the giro this year Contador was weak, at last years vuelta he won by hanging on to Froome in the mountains and a brilliant TT. I don't understand what Contador has done since 2011 that suggests he is the best climber, Froome destroyed him in 2013, landa in the giro mountains this year.

Are you serious :eek:

I won't even bother, you don't know *** about cycling.

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
[quote="

Sorry but I'm realistic actually, Contador is the best climber when he is on form, ending point . Don't see what's hard to understand, he raced the Giro here not the others.

This is a fallacious argument. By saying that on-form Contador is the best, you suggest that it is impossible (or unfair) to draw conclusions from any performance where Contador is not on peak form. Also, if Contador does not show he is the best, you will simply say he is not on top form. It's semantics.

TI-Raleigh said:
BlurryVII said:
[quote="

This is a fallacious argument. By saying that on-form Contador is the best, you suggest that it is impossible (or unfair) to draw conclusions from any performance where Contador is not on peak form. Also, if Contador does not show he is the best, you will simply say he is not on top form. It's semantics.
Isn't that quite logical?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Ramon Koran said:

To me, Contador's bad climbing this season was surprising in light of the very high level he showed in the Vuelta 2014. In the Giro, I never expected him to be outclimbed by Aru (and ofc the new rising star, Landa) even once, but he was. At the Tour, while I expected him to be worse than Froome and Quintana, he was shockingly bad.

Whether that's trend or aberration, we don't know. Fact is that Contador hasn't completed a Tour de France in great climbing shape since 2011 or even 2010. Hopefully the stars will align next year. And hopefully it won't be Froome or Quintana that fail to reach their best then, which would once again prevent us from learning who the best climber is.

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

Ramon Koran said:
BlurryVII said:
Ramon Koran said:

This is true. Ignoring the TT, Landa had a faster cumulative time in the Giro. Say what you will, but it is difficult to make the argument that Contador outclimbed Landa. At most, they were on an equal level.

Furthermore, Contador didn't win Vuelta '14 on his climbing prowess-- rather it was his TT performance. He beat Froome on two mountain stages by holding wheel and then attacking in the last kilometer. This is hardly the equivalent of blowing the race apart 6 or 7 kilometers from the finish.

As an additional point, I would like to comment that we haven't seen that kind of MTF dominance from Contador in a grand tour since 2011. He has shown flashes of brilliance in weeklong stage races, but seems to lack that kind of defining burst as of late. Because of that, it is fair to wonder if Contador can truly be considered the best climber in the world anymore.

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
TI-Raleigh said:
BlurryVII said:
[quote="

Isn't that quite logical?

Perhaps, but you do not hold other riders to that same standard. For instance, Froome was not on peak form at Vuelta '14, yet you used this race as a clear example of Contador being a better climber. In this year's Giro, as Landa matched or surpassed Contador in the mountains, many people said that you could not draw conclusions because Conti still wasn't at his best.

My point is, very rarely do the stars align to where every rider is on their peak form at the same time. We have to draw careful conclusions with what we are seeing now, rather than write off a performance completely.

BlurryVII said:
Walkman said:
LaFlorecita said:
Hayabusa said:
ray j willings said:

Ouch, the greatest hypocrite is back! :eek:

Contador had good results in amateurs even in TTs and was believed to become a great climber and didn't come out of nowhere when he couldn't even pass a climb without hanging on cars :rolleyes:

Feel free to point out my hypocrisy. Some quotes would be nice.

"Was believed to become a great climber", yeah, that objectivity. You do know what was going on in ONCE and Discovery at his time there, right? Much like Ulrich, his talent can never be quantified since he most likely got on a program very early.

TI-Raleigh said:
Perhaps, but you do not hold other riders to that same standard. For instance, Froome was not on peak form at Vuelta '14, yet you used this race as a clear example of Contador being a better climber. In this year's Giro, as Landa matched or surpassed Contador in the mountains, many people said that you could not draw conclusions because Conti still wasn't at his best.

My point is, very rarely do the stars align to where every rider is on their peak form at the same time. We have to draw careful conclusions with what we are seeing now, rather than write off a performance completely.
I don't think I used anything as an example. :confused:

TRENDING THREADS