• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1339 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
How do you all assess Contador's performance yesterday? Initially, I was a little disappointed and felt like he certainly wasn't in topform yet. However, it wasn't a finish that suited Contador that much and with his problems with his derailleur I think it's hard to judge. Any thoughts?

I hope for a good show today. I don't really expect him to drop Thomas, but one can always hope.
I thought it was a good performance. He put in some very hard attacks. The climb just wasn't hard enough to make a difference.
I rewatched the final and it's a shame he didn't have just a little bit more left in the tank. He attacked at the right time, then fell flat right away, before the last corner.
For today, he will try for sure. I don't think he can get any time but with him, you never know. He might go crazy on the descent as well.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
He really is as good as in 2014, he was even better on Algarve.

Unfortunately, massive difference in the route between Tirreno 14' and this shitty PN. They really need to step it up, no wonder the favorites have been mainly going to Tirreno the last few years.

Even today's stage is bullcrap.

Re: Re:

Le Blaireau_13 said:
Hugo Koblet said:
How do you all assess Contador's performance yesterday? Initially, I was a little disappointed and felt like he certainly wasn't in topform yet. However, it wasn't a finish that suited Contador that much and with his problems with his derailleur I think it's hard to judge. Any thoughts?

I hope for a good show today. I don't really expect him to drop Thomas, but one can always hope.

Well, i don't know really.
I think I still am a bit disappointed, because I'm afraid Contador is just getting older, which means it just gets harder for him to defeat riders he would have defeated years ago.

Of course, the climb didn't really suit him - especially against the likes of Thomas en Zakarin. But, all the rest is just hypothetical: "Íf the climb was steeper, he would've taken minutes..." That just isn't the case. He prepared to win Paris-Nice, but it seems like this will be difficult. I think that's the most disappointing (altough he could well attack and win today). It's not only yesterday's stage, it's also the prologue, the loss of seconds on stage 3.

Volta a Catalunya and Pais Vasco will give us more information really, especially Pais Vasco, I think. In that Tour there are many tough climbs and many opponents, with hard battles everyday, including a time trial that should suit Contador. I'm very curious about Contador in that race.

Good post and I totally agree with you. There are still too many unknowns to really know where Contador is at.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
cantpedal said:
Mr.White said:
arvc40 said:
Funny old game Cycling. If Contador raced like the others, watching on wheels he'd of possibly finished ahead of Thomas. The Climb was also pretty damn soft. Then you have to factor in when Contador does that to you day after day on harder climbs. This race has been Piano all week, and on a climb lime that Im not suprised at a non dominant result. Thomas wasn't impressive, he just marks.

Of course he wasn't. Alberto is going to drop him tomorrow, but I'm afraid not permanently.. :(

not being able to drop 2 Sky Domestiques one of whom's wheel he rode for quite some time doesn't look good.
You use a word 'domestique' in very interesting meaning... :rolleyes:

Matteo. said:
I just saw the stage profile and is better than I thought to try to do something. Cote de Peille is a good climb to make tough race, isolating as much as possible Thomas. The best thing would be to leave him only with Henao. Then arriving at the foot of Col d'Eze and lauch a big attack on the second km without looking back and we'll see how it ends-

1719.gif

I start to suspect that you're on to something

Re:

BlurryVII said:
He really is as good as in 2014, he was even better on Algarve.

Unfortunately, massive difference in the route between Tirreno 14' and this shitty PN. They really need to step it up, no wonder the favorites have been mainly going to Tirreno the last few years.

Even today's stage is bullcrap.

We might get the answer on that on Eze.

At least we already know that his belief and racing style is just as strong as ever, even as much as 2012: This final stage is a little reminiscent of Fuente De :D

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hate him or love him, everyone should appreciate for what he is, bit of excitement that 99% of modern stage racers lack nowdays, bit of panache. Thanks for making cycling remotely interesting at times.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
Omg he lost 4 seconds? Damn yea, it's pretty much over now.

Might aswell abandon this race and quickly fly to italy for the T-A
Well well..

Yea fleur cause at point i knew the stage on wednesday was gonna get cancelled.

Lacking context as always my dear ;)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, confirmation that Contador is as strong as 2014. He was by far the strongest in this PN and would've won hands down if Mont brouilly wasn't cancelled.

As usual, attacking isn't rewarded. Pretty confident he'll win Catalunya and Pais Vasco, he just needs a decent route.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Shape is more important than winning a race like PN.

He rode the entire peloton on 50 sec, on a climb of nothing. And he was still the best on eze attacking close to 10 times.

He's good, really good.

Well, it wasn't what he came here for (the win) but he did all he could. But we have to be pleased with his shape, after attacking so many times, he was still able to drop everyone on a flater climb like Eze. If the downhill would be a bit more technical he would have done it. But it was a highway and Thomas had the advanatge there. But he did put 35 seconds into Thomas in less than two kilometres on a 5-6% gradient. Which is great.

TRENDING THREADS