• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1341 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Alberto was close to tears on the podium. Truly heartbreaking, this stage reminds me so much of Dauphine 2014 stage 8 :( Why can he never ever get lucky. Why, when it's so close, why is the race never decided in his favor?
He seems to fail under pressure, a shame but still he's has a great career.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ramon Koran said:
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto was close to tears on the podium. Truly heartbreaking, this stage reminds me so much of Dauphine 2014 stage 8 :( Why can he never ever get lucky. Why, when it's so close, why is the race never decided in his favor?

What is this guy talking about? Contador failing under pressure now? :eek:

Just stop watching cycling already, holy crap.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
Ramon Koran said:
LaFlorecita said:

Before 07,10 tdf, 08 giro he was strong but knoW no longer so strong because age. Of course it's a shame (big Alberto fan) but he's had a good run.

His form is rising, there's huge will, too. I wasn't sure if perennial changes of his racing program were good, but when there's the class - there's larger margin for variations, as well.
The way he raced today is the way he needs to race against Sky. The difficulty is it takes plenty of energy.
He's on the right path towards the Tour.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Ramon Koran said:
BlurryVII said:
Ramon Koran said:
LaFlorecita said:

Before 07,10 tdf, 08 giro he was sbetrong but knoW no longer so strong because age. Of course it's a shame (big Alberto fan) but he's had a good run.

Yes yes, constantly talking nonsense and *** about Contador (but big Alberto fan! ) . Sure :eek:

Saying that you're a Contador fan, doesn't make your posts any more objective, just so you know.

staubsauger said:
LaFlorecita said:
As if he never was lucky ... :eek:

He's won his fair share of races. Vuelta '12 is one example that could easily have conspired against him, but didn't. Route de Sud last year is another example. He's also had his luck in terms of people from other teams choosing to work with him at critical moments.

Having said that, i do feel for him as he obviously badly wanted to win his final Paris-Nice. He must of thought he had it in the bag a couple of times as well.

Still, looks like his form is coming on nicely and it was an exciting race, even on text updates!

BlurryVII said:
Ramon Koran said:
BlurryVII said:
Ramon Koran said:
LaFlorecita said:

Before 07,10 tdf, 08 giro he was sbetrong but knoW no longer so strong because age. Of course it's a shame (big Alberto fan) but he's had a good run.

Yes yes, constantly talking nonsense and **** about Contador (but big Alberto fan! ) . Sure :eek:

Saying that you're a Contador fan, doesn't make your posts any more objective, just so you know.
just a question, why do you constantly think that is if one's not at your side of positive expectations one's automatically against you and contador?

LaFlorecita said:
staubsauger said:
LaFlorecita said:
As if he never was lucky ... :eek:
He was lucky in the 2007 Tour. Now, which other races?

The 2008 Giro strikes me as one of his most impressive wins retroperspective, because he won it being nearly weak as *** (hyperbole) for his usual standards. That said he greatly changed his whole racing attitude during that Giro. Being very conservative, relying calmly on his advantages, dealing with his efforts and his power very carefully. That's actually the reason why he never fully bonked during that race from my pov. But still: With a little less cleverness on his side and a bit more luck on Ricco's side it could've played out different as well.

Flo just be happy he rode so well!!!! He showed us the desire is still there as strong as ever and that the form is coming along nicely. He is disappointed, many fans are disappointed; but he rode like Alberto The Alberto we love to watch! Enjoy watching while you can, our opportunities are dwindling......

http://www.letour.fr/paris-nice/2016/us/stage-7/news/int/alberto-contador-i-don-t-like-second-places.html

"I was hoping for another result. I don't like second places. I did everything I could to make up for lost time and in the end I nearly won. Yesterday it didn't quite work but I told myself there were opportunities left to take today. We were really motivated and we tried everything. At last I'm confident I made the show even if I didn't succeed. In any case, Geraint Thomas played it well, he has a very strong Team Sky around him. But he could be beaten. The bright side is that I could see that my sensations were good and it's a boost for the upcoming Tour of Catalunya."

BlurryVII said:
Gloin22 said:
BlurryVII said:
bajbar said:
But he did put 35 seconds into Thomas in less than two kilometres on a 5-6% gradient. Which is great.

Also 50 seconds into the peloton on Cote de Peille. He basically lost it all on the flat part everytime.

He should clearly train on flat bit more.

It was Kiserlovski and another tinkoff who were leading AC. They lost the battle against Sky. Don't know what you're talking about.

And the brits went mad when I said they are usually utterly clueless, both AC and Thomas didn't put their nose into wind during that part but this is way too complicated for bots to understand that.

Re:

Carols said:
Flo just be happy he rode so well!!!! He showed us the desire is still there as strong as ever and that the form is coming along nicely. He is disappointed, many fans are disappointed; but he rode like Alberto The Alberto we love to watch! Enjoy watching while you can, our opportunities are dwindling......
Which is exactly why it is so painful to see him lose, and he was almost crying on the podium too :(

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
http://www.letour.fr/paris-nice/2016/us/stage-7/news/int/alberto-contador-i-don-t-like-second-places.html

"I was hoping for another result. I don't like second places. I did everything I could to make up for lost time and in the end I nearly won. Yesterday it didn't quite work but I told myself there were opportunities left to take today. We were really motivated and we tried everything. At last I'm confident I made the show even if I didn't succeed. In any case, Geraint Thomas played it well, he has a very strong Team Sky around him. But he could be beaten. The bright side is that I could see that my sensations were good and it's a boost for the upcoming Tour of Catalunya."

Alberto thinks like a winner, he has already moved on to the next race :).

LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
Which is exactly why it is so painful to see him lose, and he was almost crying on the podium too :(

Yes he wasn't at all happy.

But we must celebrate the gift he gave us today, the fighting spirit and legs of an irrepressible champion!

LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
He was bummed, sure, but I don't think he felt helpless.
Today's stage wasn't a bad sign.

Tom Dumoulin ‏@tom_dumoulin 27 min
I think this stage was 'spettacolo' to see on tv thanks to @albertocontador. For me it was just very painful and ***...

Luis Ángel Maté ‏@luisangelmate 6 min
Enorme @albertocontador genio, corredores como tú hacen grande nuestro deporte. Gracias!

LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:

If he wins the Tour this won't matter. I really want him to win TDF. Obviously, I always want my favourites to win, but here, my emotions are different. I want him to prove to all those "rational and objective" cycling experts that he is still the best, and in fact never ceased being the best (except for 2013, but that is another matter entirely).

I hate it, when I read some predictions saying, that he is too old, that he has declined... That he will lose minutes to anyone of any importance in the TTs and so on. I don't want him to win the Tour with a darring attack 50kms out or on a downhill, or on an echelon stage. That would only prove what they already know, that he has a huge heart and can entertain the race. No, I want a show of brute force. I want him to destory everyone on Finhaut -Emmoson (or Mont Ventoux, even better). I want him to top 3 the ITT (not the mountain one, the hilly one). I want him to win by a huge margin, so that no one will ever be able to say, what a surprise is that Contador only lost 15 second in the prologue, or that there is no way that he could ever get 15 seconds on Thomas on a stage like today, because Team Sky is so much better and Thomas is just better than the aging Contador... Things like that really make me mad...

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

bajbar said:
LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:

If he wins the Tour this won't matter. I really want him to win TDF. Obviously, I always want my favourites to win, but here, my emotions are different. I want him to prove to all those "rational and objective" cycling experts that he is still the best, and in fact never ceased being the best (except for 2013, but that is another matter entirely).

I hate it, when I read some predictions saying, that he is too old, that he has declined... That he will lose minutes to anyone of any importance in the TTs and so on. I don't want him to win the Tour with a darring attack 50kms out or on a downhill, or on an echelon stage. That would only prove what they already know, that he has a huge heart and can entertain the race. No, I want a show of brute force. I want him to destory everyone on Finhaut -Emmoson (or Mont Ventoux, even better). I want him to top 3 the ITT (not the mountain one, the hilly one). I want him to win by a huge margin, so that no one will ever be able to say, what a surprise is that Contador only lost 15 second in the prologue, or that there is no way that he could ever get 15 seconds on Thomas on a stage like today, because Team Sky is so much better and Thomas is just better than the aging Contador... Things like that really make me mad...

Amen

CdcAvBGXIAAxxOm.jpg

TRENDING THREADS