• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1342 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

bajbar said:
LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
Flo just be happy he rode so well!!!! He showed us the desire is still there as strong as ever and that the form is coming along nicely. He is disappointed, many fans are disappointed; but he rode like Alberto The Alberto we love to watch! Enjoy watching while you can, our opportunities are dwindling......
Which is exactly why it is so painful to see him lose, and he was almost crying on the podium too :(

If he wins the Tour this won't matter. I really want him to win TDF. Obviously, I always want my favourites to win, but here, my emotions are different. I want him to prove to all those "rational and objective" cycling experts that he is still the best, and in fact never ceased being the best (except for 2013, but that is another matter entirely).

I hate it, when I read some predictions saying, that he is too old, that he has declined... That he will lose minutes to anyone of any importance in the TTs and so on. I don't want him to win the Tour with a darring attack 50kms out or on a downhill, or on an echelon stage. That would only prove what they already know, that he has a huge heart and can entertain the race. No, I want a show of brute force. I want him to destory everyone on Finhaut -Emmoson (or Mont Ventoux, even better). I want him to top 3 the ITT (not the mountain one, the hilly one). I want him to win by a huge margin, so that no one will ever be able to say, what a surprise is that Contador only lost 15 second in the prologue, or that there is no way that he could ever get 15 seconds on Thomas on a stage like today, because Team Sky is so much better and Thomas is just better than the aging Contador... Things like that really make me mad...
Me too, however slowly I have come to the realization that it won't happen. He might have done it in 2014 but in 2016 no. The last time he dominated hugely a gr8 was 11. Since then even victories not great both vueltas he dint win huge, giro landa better up hill ... If he wins tour it will be tactically cose he no longer best no more sadly.

So....in the end I would like to say that LaFlo had predicted that Dylan Thomas would win, also she said that Saturday climb was not enough steep and that Dylan should be more aware of Sunday.

All this has become reality. Chapeau.

She has also predicted that Bertie would win Catalunya, Pais Vasco and...TdF.

I stick with you. Vamos!

Jakub said:
So....in the end I would like to say that LaFlo had predicted that Dylan Thomas would win, also she said that Saturday climb was not enough steep and that Dylan should be more aware of Sunday.

I stick with you. Vamos!

Also, Team Sky have won the TdF every year that they've won Paris Nice :p

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Nothing lasts forever, get used to it. Whether it's Contador not being at his old levels or his contenders that have gotten better is a discussion that'll never end, but the truth is that he's not a level or two above everybody else anymore.

His biggest rival from his prime, A. Schleck lost too much times on the TT's to ever be real threat like Froome.

It have been new circumstances for Contador since 2012. Enjoy this last season, because I have this feeling that we'll see SKY trains and attacks in the last 2-4 km's in the upcoming years. Unless Quintana step it up a level.

PremierAndrew said:
Jakub said:

I stick with you. Vamos!

Also, Bertie has won TdF every year that he has lost Paris Nice :p

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
PremierAndrew said:
Jakub said:

I stick with you. Vamos!

Tour (10') - Giro (11') - Vuelta (12') - nothing - Vuelta (14') - Giro ( 15') - Tour (16')

There's a symetrical pattern with 2013 :cool:

Jakub said:
PremierAndrew said:
Jakub said:

I stick with you. Vamos!

I think you forget 2005. He was terrible that Tour

Red Rick said:
Jakub said:
PremierAndrew said:
Jakub said:

I stick with you. Vamos!

I didn't, he was no way capable of winning PN2005, so he couldn't have lost it :p

Red Rick said:
Jakub said:
PremierAndrew said:
Jakub said:

I stick with you. Vamos!

LOL he was 22 and working in service.

Jakub said:
Carols said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
=
LOL he was 22 and working in service.
Exactly he wasn't terrible at all in that Tour! In 2005 Paris-Nice he was quite strong though.

Note to self, don't be sarcastic without the emoticons :eek:

:)

Carols, Bertie looks very thin in your avatar, wow, and it's only March, HYPE IS HERE AGAIN

No need to Hype. Bertie is in fine shape for March and giving us a good show; showing us the class and desire of a champion. I am happy and feel no need to hype, his legs do the hyping :).

Good ride from Alberto, a shame the descent to Nice is a power descent and not really technical. Also Mont Broully could have helped his chances. Still, if he can't beat Thomas, no way in hell he'll be close to Froome in July. It's a bit sad but hey it's just the way it is right now. I expected Majka to be the best domestique of the race, we got Henao instead and it's good to see him back on track.
Cycling will be a bit boring when guys like Contador or Nibali retire. Then we'll be able to watch Quintana and some random Sky rider looking at each other the entire climbs :D

trevim said:
Good ride from Alberto, a shame the descent to Nice is a power descent and not really technical. Also Mont Broully could have helped his chances. Still, if he can't beat Thomas, no way in hell he'll be close to Froome in July. It's a bit sad but hey it's just the way it is right now. I expected Majka to be the best domestique of the race, we got Henao instead and it's good to see him back on track.
Cycling will be a bit boring when guys like Contador or Nibali retire. Then we'll be able to watch Quintana and some random Sky rider looking at each other the entire climbs :D
Nonsense. He showed he is in incredible shape. The parcours wasn't the best for him and got even worse when Mt Brouilly got cancelled. Of course he will have a hard time beating Thomas on such a parcours.
He gapped Thomas on Utelle on the steepest part, he took ~40s on Côte de Peille and ~30s on Col d'Eze..

LaFlorecita said:
trevim said:
Nonsense. He showed he is in incredible shape. The parcours wasn't the best for him and got even worse when Mt Brouilly got cancelled. Of course he will have a hard time beating Thomas on such a parcours.
He gapped Thomas on Utelle on the steepest part, he took ~40s on Côte de Peille and ~30s on Col d'Eze..
If there's decent climbing, no way he could let someone like Thomas get even close. Sorry can't agree with you :)

TRENDING THREADS