• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1390 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
BlurryVII said:
The Hitch said:
BlurryVII said:
Actually, the circumstances were never as equal as they were in the Vuelta 2014 between AC and CF, that's the funniest thing.
2013 Tirreno?

What?
Can't read?

I don't really see how your example is relevant to the discussion? Not only that it's 2013, but I was refering to GTs.

Try again.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Blurry, at no point do we undermine Contador like AC-fans regularly are doing with Froome and especially Quintana. I won't be surprised if he wins and I have never, ever stated that he doesn't have any chance of winning like you have done with Quintana, fx.

You're calling everyone's opinion (different than yours) biased, yet you're the one acting like a whiny little school frat kid.
Yeah, Contador beat Nibali by 3 seconds. Is that the argument that sustain your thesis that Contador was the best climber in 2014? Come on, try to do a little better, you're over 18 (I guess).

2014's Vuelta was the only moment in the last 4 years where Contador and Froome were on equal form? Again, it's an opinion. I can argue, for instance, that Froome didn't ride the way he usually rides when he's good. High tempo attacks as in, not diesel/Basso style attacks. Following this thought, I may argue that Froome was a step below Contador. Hell, I might even start acting like a little excited kid and insulting everyone that doesn't agree with me. Does that make my opinion true? Not by a chance, it only makes me a dork.

BlurryVII said:
The Hitch said:
BlurryVII said:
The Hitch said:
BlurryVII said:
Actually, the circumstances were never as equal as they were in the Vuelta 2014 between AC and CF, that's the funniest thing.
2013 Tirreno?

What?
Can't read?

I don't really see how your example is relevant to the discussion? Not only that it's 2013, but I was refering to GTs.

Try again.

Yup, its 2013, lets pretend that didn't happen!

Re:

BlurryVII said:

Don't you know that the 2014 Vuelta doesn't count and thus did not happen? :D Froome was just tooling around Spain, oblivious to the actual competition that was taking place. I'm surprised he bothered to wear his kit and that he didn't have Mrs. Froome sitting on the crossbar of his bike the entire time. :rolleyes:

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I made my math and i got 7w/kg for 15 minutes, obviously it's "only" after a week of race (even if it was hard...) and it was a TT but still conditions were quite bad. Anyway, brutal performance !

LaFlorecita said:
Gigs_98 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Okay I just reported the entire discussion because what the hell, guys, this is not cool.
I don't really see a problem :confused:
I see lots of mocking, whining and personal attacks. And singling out one poster is my biggest hate. Yes, let's all team up and take on this 1 poster. :rolleyes: Holy ****.

The only one getting personal is Blurry, but since its 'your' thread, its okay

Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:
The Hitch said:
BlurryVII said:
2013 Tirreno?

Try again.

Yup, its 2013, lets pretend that didn't happen!
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/03/news/road/results-tour-of-catalunya-stage-3_164967

Let's pretend that never happened :rolleyes:

Over 9 minutes on this bad boy of a stage:
profile-st3-800.jpg

hrotha said:
Red Rick said:
The Hitch said:
BlurryVII said:
2013 Tirreno?

2011 Castilla y Leon?
Laaaaaawl. Well played :D

I was acredited in that race.

Of course, the circusntances werent the same for Contador and Froome. We can discuss that in the clinic, but as well here.

Froome and Contador had different circunstances in his way to the top, and Froome can be more proud of his. Froome in that race didnt get the top already, but he showed a good performance and as you know that second place race doenst count in AC palmares, and it is for something.

As well, as you know, Froome despite to be still a young rider, was in treatment those months.

blackmamba said:
ray j willings said:
Data is all well and good but you have one really bad day and booooom your tour is over.
We all [ bertie fans] want Bertie to win but come the tour come Froome Quintana and bonkers Astana and those numbers mean nothing. You have to know how to suffer its that simple.
The tour is won on the road not on data figures.
I'm seriously considering switching to becoming a Foome fan ....Bertie fans on here are so nerdy its unbelievable.
Do you actually ride a bike? Its like a real click of geeks who couldn't ride alp d huez in under a hour. You absolutely have no idea. Go ride a bike FFS.

I'm going over to the dark side :D

Contador is superior to everyone in all areas ( tactically, strenght etc) WHEN hes in top shape so how are they gonne beat him? With superior team is the only chance if he dont crash or anything like that. (And before you mention the recent tours try to think further than your nose and logically pls. HE RODE THE GIRO before rest you should figure out yourself.

Its simple, fanboy all you want as a excuse but its pretty simply when you look at the facts I actually challenge anyone to come up with a single serious note based on facts / stats that we know of and not just your thoughts which is totally not interessting but FACTS to show otherwice, h. To be ahead of the answers again, YES HINAULT is a all time great and a huge champion but he competed at a time when it was far less competition and technology and science basically didnt exsist and he didnt keep on winning grand tours 10 years after the first one, even then so its not even close at this point.

So yes if hes TOP shape without any injuries or illness ahead of the Tour he will win, barring any incidents in the Tour ofc. But he needs to be top shape else he wont be good enough cause Froome is good!

Listen if someone beats him in a GT when hes in TOP conditions I will be the first one to admit that he no longer is number one and father time has caught up with him but untill that happens and everything else suggest otherwice it doesnt make sense to do that!

And no im not a Contador fan boy, im a cycling fan boy it just so happens that Contador happens to be the greatest GC rider of our generation and its nothing anyone can do with that.

Maybe you should have done a bit of research before you wrote something UNFACTUAL;

1- Hinault won GTs for 9 straight years. In 3 of those years he won 2 GTS.
2- His Lesser (NOT) competition included among others: Lucien Van Impe, Bernard Thévenet, Joop Zoetemelk, Laurent Fignon and Greg LeMond. If you don't know who these guys are I suggest you do some homework.

While I do believe Alberto belongs With the Best of stage racers of all times, to say "he is simply the greatest GT rider of all time" is ludicrous. I'm a pretty big Alberto fan girl, but I've been a Cycling fan girl for decades before Alberto showed up. He is the best Since Hinault IMO, but not the best ever.

EDIT: BTW Hinault isn't the Best Ever either, that would be one Eddy Merckx who I also saw ride.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Carols said:
blackmamba said:
ray j willings said:
Data is all well and good but you have one really bad day and booooom your tour is over.
We all [ bertie fans] want Bertie to win but come the tour come Froome Quintana and bonkers Astana and those numbers mean nothing. You have to know how to suffer its that simple.
The tour is won on the road not on data figures.
I'm seriously considering switching to becoming a Foome fan ....Bertie fans on here are so nerdy its unbelievable.
Do you actually ride a bike? Its like a real click of geeks who couldn't ride alp d huez in under a hour. You absolutely have no idea. Go ride a bike FFS.

I'm going over to the dark side :D

Contador is superior to everyone in all areas ( tactically, strenght etc) WHEN hes in top shape so how are they gonne beat him? With superior team is the only chance if he dont crash or anything like that. (And before you mention the recent tours try to think further than your nose and logically pls. HE RODE THE GIRO before rest you should figure out yourself.

Its simple, fanboy all you want as a excuse but its pretty simply when you look at the facts I actually challenge anyone to come up with a single serious note based on facts / stats that we know of and not just your thoughts which is totally not interessting but FACTS to show otherwice, h. To be ahead of the answers again, YES HINAULT is a all time great and a huge champion but he competed at a time when it was far less competition and technology and science basically didnt exsist and he didnt keep on winning grand tours 10 years after the first one, even then so its not even close at this point.

So yes if hes TOP shape without any injuries or illness ahead of the Tour he will win, barring any incidents in the Tour ofc. But he needs to be top shape else he wont be good enough cause Froome is good!

Listen if someone beats him in a GT when hes in TOP conditions I will be the first one to admit that he no longer is number one and father time has caught up with him but untill that happens and everything else suggest otherwice it doesnt make sense to do that!

And no im not a Contador fan boy, im a cycling fan boy it just so happens that Contador happens to be the greatest GC rider of our generation and its nothing anyone can do with that.

Maybe you should have done a bit of research before you wrote something UNFACTUAL;

1- Hinault won GTs for 9 straight years. In 3 of those years he won 2 GTS.
2- His Lesser (NOT) competition included among others: Lucien Van Impe, Bernard Thévenet, Joop Zoetemelk, Laurent Fignon and Greg LeMond. If you don't know who these guys are I suggest you do some homework.

While I do believe Alberto belongs With the Best of stage racers of all times, to say "he is simply the greatest GT rider of all time" is ludicrous. I'm a pretty big Alberto fan girl, but I've been a Cycling fan girl for decades before Alberto showed up. He is the best Since Hinault IMO, but not the best ever.

EDIT: BTW Hinault isn't the Best Ever either, that would be one Eddy Merckx who I also saw ride.

I suggest you read it again and try one more time :rolleyes:

I said in 10 years not 9, second those guys you mention have nice names and I do know about em all but it doesnt exactly take a rocket science to understand that becoming a pro cycling back then compared to now is like day and night and reflects the overall competition lvl.

How sad is it when someone points out facta fails to be clever and it turns out their not even pointing out anything else besides they have a hard time beeing able to read :p

BlurryVII said:
The Hitch said:
BlurryVII said:
The Hitch said:
BlurryVII said:
2013 Tirreno?

What?
Can't read?

Try again.
The point I was making is that if you count the Vuelta as being the same as the Tour then why not count lesser WT races as being the same as the Vuelta?

The Vuelta is not the Tour. The TDF is where the showdowns happen.

Taxus4a said:
hrotha said:
Red Rick said:
The Hitch said:
BlurryVII said:
2013 Tirreno?

2011 Castilla y Leon?
Laaaaaawl. Well played :D

As well, as you know, Froome despite to be still a young rider, was in treatment those months.

He was 25 almost 26. At that age, Contador had won all 3 Grand Tours. :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS