• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1458 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Thought experiment: How had Contador 2014 done against Froome 2013 on the parlours of 2013?

Loses 30s at most at Ax 3 Domaines
Creates carnage after Porte bonks. Likely s.t.
Loses 1 minute at most in the flat TT
Echelon still happens. Quite even going into Ventoux.
Finishes with Quintana at worst on the Ventoux. Probably better. But then Froome probably tries harder
Wins hilly TT
Wrecks Froome at AdH and takes yellow
Semnoz, see Farrapona/Ancares 2014

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Thought experiment: How had Contador 2014 done against Froome 2013 on the parlours of 2013?

Imo, Froome wins, but he faded in that Tour too, and a rider as wily as Contador might've made him pay, who knows?. It did have a flat TT which helps Froome.

I really hope we aren't robbed by a mechanical, injury, crash etc. This year.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Finishes with Quintana at worst on the Ventoux. Probably better. But then Froome probably tries harder
Wins hilly TT

I think the same but st at Ax 3 and Ventoux

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Wins hilly TT

So Contador wins 2 minutes on Alpe?

I personally think its pretty even, but I have a hard time seeing Contador overcoming Ax-3 and especially the flat ITT.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Wins hilly TT

I highly doubt Tour 14' AC would lose time on Ax 3. S.t .

Would gain time on Ventoux.

Taxus4a said:
BlurryVII said:
He also said before the Tour 2014 that his legs were as good as in the Tour 09' which he judged to be his best ever.

He basically always says his form is "better than ever", can be true, can be utter bullcrap too. He'll probably say that once again in a month, won't mean much unless we see it on the road.

I would like to talk with you about this in the clinic.

Every rider, including Froome, can only be fully discussed in the clinic.

Taxus4a said:
Jspear said:
Taxus4a said:
Miburo said:
He'll have the best time on the first intermediate :)

Contador has always the best first intermediate on hilly ITT.

I think so as well, but he could lose more than 1 minute with Froome at the end, and the last climb is quite hard...

Acording 2009, no good to talk about other eras.

He doesnt:

"Las sensaciones son muy buenas, el objetivo era ganar pero estoy satisfecho por cómo se ha desarrollado la carrera. Estoy muy contento porque el estado de forma es bueno, me recuerda al 2014 que fue el mejor de mi carrera" analiza. He aid 2014 was hi best year, when he was stronger.

"Varios elementos han entrado en juego", añadió para explicar su cambio de planes. "Quizás el más importante ha sido el cariño del público, que he recibido a través de las redes sociales, en la calle, en las carreras y en todas partes. Todo eso que me han dicho me ha hecho reflexionar, además del hecho de que físicamente me encuentro mejor que nunca. Si en los entrenamientos hubiera visto que he bajado aunque fuera un uno por ciento, la decisión hubiera cambiado. Pero si ves que superas tus récords en subida, te motivas, y si además tienes el apoyo de la familia, aunque para ellos sea también un sacrificio, al final decides continuar", declaró el corredor español.

he said:

Phisically I fell better than ever.

Training I didnt decrase my best level not a 1 %

I am improving my climbing records.

I could deostrate he is lying, considerig performance in race in 2018-2010, in other way he is right: We have now the best Contador possible.

Lol

It is what he said, not me.

Still lol :)

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Wins hilly TT

Personally I'd say 45s on Ax 3. Yeah, Froome was unable to drop him on Col du Beal in the Dauphine, but just look at the difference between 2013 Dauphine Froome and 2013 Tour first two weeks. No way anyone competes with that.
I think you're looking at 1 min 15 back to Froome in the TT, which still puts him 5th on the stage.
Crosswinds still happen so AC gains 1 min.
Froome rode with Quintana for a long time on Ventoux. If it was AC there who was just 1 min back at this point, Froome doesn't ride with him. CF attacks earlier, but then AC also wouldn't have attacked with 12k to go. So let's say 30s to Froome.
AC gains about 15 seconds in the hilly TT (-25s on his real 2013 result)
Now there's really not much indicating that 2014 AC was a better climber than 2013 NQ. But AC would probs have attacked earlier. So let's say 1 min 30.
AC has yellow by 15s, and by this point CF no longer strong enough to drop AC.

Complete and utter speculation though.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

Wins hilly TT

So Contador wins 2 minutes on Alpe?
No
I don't see where you get those 2 minutes. It just says Contador takes yellow
(Time between Froome and Alberto in hypothetical GC after the stage)
Ax3 +30" (at most)
ITT +1'30" (at most)
Echelons +21"
AC with Quintana on Ventoux +50" (at worst)
AC wins hilly TT, possible time gain so +40"? +45"? Perhaps even +30" or who knows +20"
Either way, there's not a 2 minute gap between them before AdH, the gap is under 1 minute ;)

Re:

jens_attacks said:
lol dreamed last night that someone asked me for how long can contador sustain a full-gas uphill attack.
i remember that i say: "in 2013 around a minute, in dauphine 2016 around 4 minutes, in tdf 2016 around 8 minutes." ahahahahaha luv my dreams

vamos!
Well he was attacking for a long time yesterday :D
8 minutes full gas Albertoooo !! :D

Re:

jens_attacks said:
lol dreamed last night that someone asked me for how long can contador sustain a full-gas uphill attack.
i remember that i say: "in 2013 around a minute, in dauphine 2016 around 4 minutes, in tdf 2016 around 8 minutes." ahahahahaha luv my dreams

vamos!

Awesome :D
I want more cycling dreams as well. Lately I'm having rather strong dreams, but no cyclign alas. I'm afraid too much is happening in my life (nothing really bad) to be in full cycling mode atm.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Jelantik said:
Sky brought his A team to Dauphine, and we have seen a glimpse of how strong they are. Only Moviestar and Astana probably can match them (if Astana shows up with his 2015 Giro). Tinkoff .. not so much. Sometimes, I wonder .. what are the decision making going on in Tinkoff when they bought the riders. Seems everyone that comes there either are just an OK rider or they just become mediocre. I have to tip my hats to Sky when it comes to hiring their team. They can assemble a strong team year after year. That's impressive.
Problem is Sky hires König, Poels, Landa, Intxausti in span of two years, Tinkoff Trofimov and Kiserlovski and loses Rogers - with him maybe the picture would be lot different these days, he used to be very good dom. General level of riders pre- going to Sky is higher than Tinkoff. It's about money I'd say.

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm wondering about one moment in yesterday's race:

After Contador had attacked multiple times, Froome caught him, accelerated for a brief moment, passed Contador and then kind of slowed down a bit. I wonder: could Froome have ridden away at that moment? Or was he just bluffing? I watched the race at Sporza, and Jose de Cauwer thought Froome was bluffing at that moment. Which probably is the case: it seemed like they were all riding at their maximum and with that bluff, Froome kind of brought some rest back.

What do you think?

Kwibus said:
jens_attacks said:

vamos!

Awesome :D
I want more cycling dreams as well. Lately I'm having rather strong dreams, but no cyclign alas. I'm afraid too much is happening in my life (nothing really bad) to be in full cycling mode atm.

Lol, I had a dream about Nibali riding off the cliff in a descent, falling into some cavern, and then coming out a tunnel at the end of a descent and winning the race

Re:

Le Blaireau_13 said:

After Contador had attacked multiple times, Froome caught him, accelerated for a brief moment, passed Contador and then kind of slowed down a bit. I wonder: could Froome have ridden away at that moment? Or was he just bluffing? I watched the race at Sporza, and Jose de Cauwer thought Froome was bluffing at that moment. Which probably is the case: it seemed like they were all riding at their maximum and with that bluff, Froome kind of brought some rest back.

What do you think?
I also think that was bluff. Froome seemed to be at his limit.

Re:

Le Blaireau_13 said:

What do you think?
I don't think that Froome was at his limit or bluffing. I interpreted as if Froome wanted to give Contador a psychological blow by showing that he had no problems following or even accelerating further. But hey, it might have been a bluff, I just thought that he looked very comfortable.

LaFlorecita said:
Le Blaireau_13 said:

What do you think?
I also think that was bluff. Froome seemed to be at his limit.

Yep, a show of strength to show Contador he was still there and to stop Alberto attacking.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Hugo Koblet said:
Le Blaireau_13 said:

What do you think?
I don't think that Froome was at his limit or bluffing. I interpreted as if Froome wanted to give Contador a psychological blow by showing that he had no problems following or even accelerating further. But hey, it might have been a bluff, I just thought that he looked very comfortable.

I agree Froome looked very comfortable. If that was the summit finish with 1 or 2 km to go, he would have just ridden away at that point. As it was, with still a few km's of fairly gradual descent to come and then 4km gradual ascent to the actual finish, it would have served no logical purpose at all for Froome to attack there.

TRENDING THREADS