• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1469 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
Jakub said:
LaFlorecita said:
Eh, I bet that for many people from the west of Europe, anything east of Germany is Eastern Europe ;) Basically anything east of the historical Iron Curtain.

Yes, I know :) it is called ignorance. :)
Anyway it doesn't matter. I just think that the real problem is that the squad is pretty poor. Two years ago Roche was able to put all favourites on limit and Bertie put a massive attack afterwards. Three years ago was Roman the best donestique at Tour and the team was able to attack on flat. Since last year it is a tragedy.
Its not ignorance,its a reality.Iron curtain was there for freakin 40 years,czech is east,like it or not,and we are more like russians than germans,but thats for a hours of conversation(why and etc) :)
And still our posts will be deleted for off topic :D
Maybe Czechs are more like Russians, but it's still ignorance. What is 40 years, btw? Nothing.

Anyway, south Moravian are more like French or Spaniards than Russians.

ILovecycling said:
Jakub said:
LaFlorecita said:
Eh, I bet that for many people from the west of Europe, anything east of Germany is Eastern Europe ;) Basically anything east of the historical Iron Curtain.

Yes, I know :) it is called ignorance. :)
Anyway it doesn't matter. I just think that the real problem is that the squad is pretty poor. Two years ago Roche was able to put all favourites on limit and Bertie put a massive attack afterwards. Three years ago was Roman the best donestique at Tour and the team was able to attack on flat. Since last year it is a tragedy.
Its not ignorance,its a reality.Iron curtain was there for freakin 40 years,czech is east,like it or not,and we are more like russians than germans,but thats for a hours of conversation(why and etc) :)
And still our posts will be deleted for off topic :D

No, it is ignorance and arogance. Not deep though and I understand it. 40 years - it's true, but before that some freaking centuries were czechs always part of the centraleuropean german cultural region. Otto von Bismarck once said that czechs are actually germans, which speak czech. A few years ago czech DNA was compared to others and the most similarities were found with Austria and Bavaria. Russia has no european culture, no democratic tradition, no real respect to individuality. So no hours long discussion is needed, maybe you can instead read Karel Havliček, he described already in 19th century how silly the thought about Russians are, those always so many czechs have.

Back to Bertie: I really think it is individual, not depending on nationality. I bet he is very happy with Roman or Valgren and Majka helped him perfectly in PN. I just think that Trofimov is so much off-form, that he should be sacked.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Please keep the discussion to Alberto Contador, any further off topic posts like references to the Czech Republic/Iron curtain ect will be deleted and posters may face further action.
Thanks Pricey,

To the topic
12 days till the first test of form at Tour!!!
I cant wait! I wonder if Froome wants to hit them (Alberto and Nairo)hard like on Huy ;)

Anyone else a bit concerned about his participation in the nationals? I don't know how many days he spent in Livigno after the Dauphiné in 2014, but I seem to remember it was definitely longer than the few days he's spent there this year. I worry that the nationals changed his training approach.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Anyone else a bit concerned about his participation in the nationals? I don't know how many days he spent in Livigno after the Dauphiné in 2014, but I seem to remember it was definitely longer than the few days he's spent there this year. I worry that the nationals changed his training approach.

How can you not have that in your data.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:

Not really concerned. I trust that between him and De Jongh they know what they're doing in terms of prepping him. He needs speed in his legs (the power is clearly there) and I think the Spanish Nationals will be the final bit of polish. Or I'm such a fanboy that my opinion is meaningless :lol:

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:

Yes, I believe that being in national championships will have definitely changed his traditional training approach. But I assume they have their reasons and know what they are doing.

It's all part of the evil masterplan to win the race, take the Spanish champions jersey, give him a really crappy one, surprise attack in the Tour, and have Movistar do nothing because all they see is a crappy Spanish champions jersey and they assume it's one of them

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:

I thought the same, was about to post about that. In 14' he stayed until 27 or 28th June.

Plus here the Spanish champs route is useless, don't understand why he decided to do it. I'm afraid he won't be anywhere near as skinny as he was early July 14'.

We'll see if they're amateurs in terms of preperation or not, Sunday 3rd July on the steep finish.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Beech Mtn said:
LaFlorecita said:

Yes, I believe that being in national championships will have definitely changed his traditional training approach. But I assume they have their reasons and know what they are doing.

Oh, don't be so sure about that. :eek:

BlurryVII said:
LaFlorecita said:

I thought the same, was about to post about that. In 14' he stayed until 27 or 28th June.

Plus here the Spanish champs route is useless, don't understand why he decided to do it. I'm afraid he won't be anywhere near as skinny as he was early July 14'.

We'll see if they're amateurs in terms of preperation or not, Sunday 3rd July on the steep finish.

Does someone have a profile of the Spanish national championship route?

BlurryVII said:
LaFlorecita said:

Hmm...
I asked because he posted a photo of Lugano lake, so he is clearly back home. I mean, couldn't he have stayed in Livigno until Friday/Saturday? He could have traveled to Livigno directly.
Perhaps the weather in Livigno was too bad? I read that it was quite cold and snowed a lot. Maybe they changed their plans. But then he still needs some additional training at altitude.
It just doesn't make much sense to come back from Livigno this early, even when taking the national championships into consideration.

LaFlorecita said:
BlurryVII said:
LaFlorecita said:

Hmm...
I asked because he posted a photo of Lugano lake, so he is clearly back home. I mean, couldn't he have stayed in Livigno until Friday/Saturday? He could have traveled to Livigno directly.
Perhaps the weather in Livigno was too bad? I read that it was quite cold and snowed a lot. Maybe they changed their plans. But then he still needs some additional training at altitude.
It just doesn't make much sense to come back from Livigno this early, even when taking the national championships into consideration.

Aren't Livigno and Lugano relatively close? It's under 110 miles between the two. Maybe he's there for the day for some press/sponsorship obligations. Or is he on his way to recon some of the climbs?

Publicus said:
Does someone have a profile of the Spanish national championship route?
http://www.rfec.com/node/18857
Here you can find the roadbook, it's a 32km circuit with a short climb near the start, 3km @ 5? 6?% - I can't tell, the image gets really unclear when I zoom in, maybe it's easier to see on a computer screen
Either way, there is no reason for him to be there, unless that is the only way to be considered for selection for the Olympics (he hasn't shown much interest for the nationals and also the WC team in the past)
If he really wants a national title, it doesn't make sense to skip the ITT, at least he'd have a decent chance of winning that one.
For the road race, unless the profile doesn't show the true nature of the course, I don't see how he can win. It would already be hard to beat the entire Movistar and Caja Rural squads on a very hilly/mountainous course, it's near impossible on this mostly flat/rolling hills course. Maybe if the climb had been near the end of the circuit instead of at the start :rolleyes:

Publicus said:
Aren't Livigno and Lugano relatively close? It's under 110 miles between the two. Maybe he's there for the day for some press/sponsorship obligations. Or is he on his way to recon some of the climbs?
It would be ridiculous to interrupt his training for sponsor obligations, and I think he did a recon of the Tour parcours after the Dauphiné. I really don't see why he is back in Lugano this early but perhaps it's all part of the plan.

TRENDING THREADS