• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1479 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
If the RR is hard enough, and he decides to ride for himself instead of Bala, he's got a decent shot at a medal, especially as the Olympics aren't a particularly controlled race with 5 riders per team, so tactics play a huge part. Would be very hard in the ITT where the strongest is pretty much guaranteed to win
I don't know, man, although I'd love to see him take a medal in the RR, his practically nonexistent sprint skills hurt him quite a bit. Let's say a small group sprints for the win, that group would have to be max 5 riders for him to have a decent chance at a medal (ideally 3 or fewer riders :p ). Occasionally he can deliver a decent sprint which means there is some potential, but I really wouldn't bet money on him beating anyone besides possibly Pozzovivo. :cool:
So his chances for a medal really depend on the size of the group sprinting for the win and if he can be in that group at all.
I agree with you that he isn't one of the favorites for a medal in the ITT, but if he can bring his good shape to the race, and some others disappoint/underperform, it's definitely possible. I really don't rate his chances for a medal in the road race.
Of course, all of the above is based on the assumption that he will get selected for both :lol:

Yes, I agree. Contador, if he has some form and races for himself or is allowed to attack so Valverde's rivals have to chase or something, can in theory medal or even win the RR. But in practice that is very unlikely. He would have to get rid of all of the puncheurs who can climb, the Alaphillipes and Martins, quite a long way from the top of the final climb. That's true of any pure climber who hopes to win, but it's worse for Contador because he also has to ditch the other pure climbers. And then stay clear for 12 km. Possible? Just about. Likely? No.

Spain haven't actually won a WC since Freire despite consistently having one of the strongest teams. Even at their best I think it's a mistake to have both Valverde and Rodriguez in the team as they are the same type of rider. Now Rodriguez seems to be well past his best so I would not select him for the team personally. I think it all comes down to Contador's Tour performance anyway. Win the Tour and there's no way he can be left at home on a course that suits him.

Here we will know if he can win the Tour.if he will struggle to keep the wheels of the group in the sprint, it will mean that he will have the same shape (insufficient) of the Dauphiné. So the hype train derails before Arcalis :D

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Re:

Matteo. said:
Here we will know if he can win the Tour.if he will struggle to keep the wheels of the group in the sprint, it will mean that he will have the same shape (insufficient) of the Dauphiné. So the hype train derails before Arcalis :D

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png
I think you're right. Here we should see who of the GC contenders is ready and who's behind.
Regarding Hansen's absence, I wouldn't say it's such a big deal. What's intriguing is that Tinkoff team could really be loaded with eastern riders, but not so helpful in protecting their leader when gets hairy. Only Sagan stands out as reliability, and he could have considerable freedom.

sir fly said:
Matteo. said:

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png
I think you're right. Here we should see who of the GC contenders is ready and who's behind.
Regarding Hansen's absence, I wouldn't say it's such a big deal. What's intriguing is that Tinkoff team could really be loaded with eastern riders, but not so helpful in protecting their leader when gets hairy. Only Sagan stands out as reliability, and he could have considerable freedom.

Alberto struggled in all uphill finish like that during Daphinè. And after we saw his ''poor'' mountain climbing. Asd i said,I fear that if he will struggle on that arrival, it will be tough on Arcalis (and Aspin?).
About Hansen, I think is a very bad decision. Who want to bring in its place ? His awful cronies Jesus and Paulinho?!

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Contador is at the point in his career where he's racing for 3rd place @ the Tour. There is nothing shameful about that. In fact, we've all seen this in the not too distant past. . .

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

warmfuzzies said:
Contador is at the point in his career where he's racing for 3rd place @ the Tour. There is nothing shameful about that. In fact, we've all seen this in the not too distant past. . .

Obviously what you're saying doesn't mean anything.

But when has he been racing for 3rd lately?

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

BlurryVII said:
warmfuzzies said:

Obviously what you're saying doesn't mean anything.

But when has he been racing for 3rd lately?

Why does what warmfuzzies say not 'mean anything'? He/she's entitled to his/her opinion and many may agree with it. I assume what you say means everything? You ask when has Contador been racing for 3rd lately. But warmfuzzies specifically refers to the Tour - not every event lately. It's not an unreasonable thing to say considering Contador has not fared well at the Tour for many years now (whatever the various reasons/excuses).

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Warmfuzzies was refering to Lance in 2009. We know that this poster loves to make subtle Clinic remarks.
I can't really see the clinic remark in that unless referring to Armstrong = clinic talk which it surely doesn't, right? Rather, he is basically saying AC is getting older, not necessarily he has stopped or toned down, lets say, eating apples

Re:

Miburo said:
Who cares about history, anyone who believes that the history books are 100% accurate, are idiots.

Look at WW2 how the terrible acts of the allied forced were almost completely covered up. Or how germany was so bad yet the usa is the one who used an atomic bomb, twice.
Of course, you're aware that everything you just said *is* on the history books, right?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

hrotha said:
Miburo said:
Who cares about history, anyone who believes that the history books are 100% accurate, are idiots.

Heavily covered up by propaganda and never taught in many classes. Of course its written by some. Just need some time after an event before it can be told objective
Look at WW2 how the terrible acts of the allied forced were almost completely covered up. Or how germany was so bad yet the usa is the one who used an atomic bomb, twice.
Of course, you're aware that everything you just said *is* on the history books, right?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts