• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1481 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Kokoso said:
LaFlorecita said:
I really hope Roman is in great shape, it would help Alberto a lot :)
It would. And it would even good for Kreuziger, don't you think. - No, I don't think it appeared on your mind really :razz:
My mistake, I thought this was the Alberto Contador thread. :lol:
This is is exactly answer I expected :lol: Nevermind.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Kokoso said:
LaFlorecita said:
Kokoso said:
LaFlorecita said:
It would. And it would even good for Kreuziger, don't you think. - No, I don't think it appeared on your mind really :razz:
Lol stop whining about czech riders in every thread,its tiresome,this is AC thread fyi

I like this roster very much,good team for AC.Obviously Astana,Movi and Sky will be superior from 2nd week but if Majka and Roman are in great shape then it would nit matter at all :)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
4 Tinkoff riders won their national championship. 3 of them are in the TDF team. So we are going to see lots of National Champ jersey colors this time. I hope Majka and Kreuziger (both national champs), are up to the task. Other wise, Sky squad will eat them alive. From his interview, looks like Alberto has recovered from his cold. (better now that during the Tour). I'm curious of what tactic they will play since Tinkoff is in the under dog position compare to the impressive roaster of Sky. Even Astana is impressive. I can't bare to see if Alberto got isolated like so many times, long before the final climb. Hope Roman and Majka come with a great form this time.

It's not the mountain stages where Contador will be the mostly handicapped compared to Froome, Quintana, Aru, Nibali... Sagan's ambitions and support means that Contador will often be left to navigate through the bunch by himself. That's where his opponents may have real advantage. Not exclusively in time gained, more in physical and mental drainage before the mountains.

Re:

sir fly said:
It's not the mountain stages where Contador will be the mostly handicapped compared to Froome, Quintana, Aru, Nibali... Sagan's ambitions and support means that Contador will often be left to navigate through the bunch by himself. That's where his opponents may have real advantage. Not exclusively in time gained, more in physical and mental drainage before the mountains.
I really don't see it that way. Gatto is on the team mainly to help Sagan, but especially in the hilly stages he can help Alberto as well. Bodnar can ride on the front for ages, he will be equally useful for both Alberto and Peter. Valgren and Tosatto will most likely be assigned to protecting Alberto in the bunch, but of course their work will benefit Peter as well if they stay close together.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see for example Valgren ride towards the 3km to go mark with Tosatto, Alberto, Gatto and Sagan in his wheel, then Toso and Alberto drop back a bit to let Gatto and Sagan do their thing.

Kokoso said:
LaFlorecita said:
Kokoso said:
LaFlorecita said:

Cant you just join a Czech cycling forum instead

Sorry to say it, but I don't think Tinkoff believes in Contador this year.

The reason I say that is, that the team is unbalanced, with a climber too little, for how the route is..... especially when looking at what a frighteningly strong mountain teams, Sky and Astana are putting in..... Even BMC has a better team for the mountains than Tinkoff.... and I haven't even mentioned Movistar.

I think it spells trouble - lack of conviction in the captain..... and I think Gatto made the team, because Tinkoff needs Sagan to "save" the tour for them, if Contador does not find form.

- and let me stress, I am saying this, while being a Contador fan.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
15tour1-master675.jpg

VAAAMOS this year!

Are you feeling nervous? :D
I am.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:

The reason I say that is, that the team is unbalanced, with a climber too little, for how the route is..... especially when looking at what a frighteningly strong mountain teams, Sky and Astana are putting in..... Even BMC has a better team for the mountains than Tinkoff.... and I haven't even mentioned Movistar.

I think it spells trouble - lack of conviction in the captain..... and I think Gatto made the team, because Tinkoff needs Sagan to "save" the tour for them, if Contador does not find form.

Its not an unreasonable assessment, but I think Tinkoff realise that Sagan by far is the best rider in the world and therefore deserves 1-2 domestiques - especially after the horror that was the 2015 Tour.

I have two very important questions regarding Contador in this year's Tour:

1. Will he wear white shoes?
2. Will he wear yellow shorts if he takes the jersey?

If the answer to both of these questions is 'yes', then it will great.

Also it would be kinda good if he wins the tour I guess.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the lack of support might be quite problematic if he is to defend the Yellow jersey on multiple climb stages.

But then again, who's gonna risk it from far away? Nibali might be a candidate but I doubt he'll have the form anyway.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

bob.a.feet said:

1. I don't think he will, he'll keep looking like a minimoy in those black shoes and that horrific specialized helmet. Can't wait for next year to see him at Trek.

2. Probably

BlurryVII said:
bob.a.feet said:

1. I don't think he will, he'll keep looking like a minimoy in those black shoes and that horrific specialized helmet. Can't wait for next year to see him at Trek.

2. Probably
I actually don't mind the helmet but the black shoes just don't suit Contador.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Please, no yellow shorts except for the final stage.
I prefer him at Tinkoff, actually, Sportful designs nice jerseys, Trek jersey is an abomination and I doubt it'll change much for next season.
I think yellow shorts would look terrible on pale riders (Froome's skinsuit for example) but I think it looks good on riders like Alberto, but black shoes and yellow shorts would be horrendous.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Please, no yellow shorts except for the final stage.
I prefer him at Tinkoff, actually, Sportful designs nice jerseys, Trek jersey is an abomination and I doubt it'll change much for next season.

Trek bike, Sidi shoes (most likely white), aerodynamic looking helmet... he'll actually look like the great Contador again.

Tinkoff's jersey is great but I just don't like specialized's equipment, even the bikes are more rigid than Trek ones, never liked it since he switched in 2010.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Its not an unreasonable assessment, but I think Tinkoff realise that Sagan by far is the best rider in the world and therefore deserves 1-2 domestiques - especially after the horror that was the 2015 Tour.

I don´t see that way... Tinkoff is not sky or astana and never was!!! Maybe it should be, but it isn´t.

Let see the last 3 year ok...

2013 - Contador , kreuziguer, hernandez, roche, rogers, benatti, tossato, paulinho, benjamim
2014- Contador, majka, roche, rogers, jesus hernandez, paulino, tossato, morkov, bennati
2015 - Contador, Majka, kreuziguer, rogers, Basso, valgreen, sagan, bennati, tossato,

Normally, 3 climbers, not more... At least with good quality, not more than 3. And honestly i don´t think the problem is the number of the climbers, the problem, is that climbers can´t suport Contador like i see the sky train doing for the last 5 years... To me the problem is this...

3 or 4 good climbers are enough to help a leader, but if they can´t follow the attacks and the leader until the last km´s as almost always we see... Then... Contador has another problem.

Majka and kreuziguer have obligation to hang on until the las km´s. Kiserslovsky can do the beginning of the climbs. The firs two are guys that have top 10, and top 5 results in grand tours, so no excuses.

Sagan can guide him in the uphill´s finish... ( but maybe he wants to win, and that is the problem).

So, to me the problem is the commitment that they have to Contador,and that is the big diference to another teams with leader that want to win...

The only surprise, beacuse this year Rogers isn´t there and he is a huge rider, i thought Paulinho must have gone, beacuse he is a good roller and great descent, and Contador maybe could use him.

But, let´s see. If he is ok, the problem is not the mountais, but get there without loosing time.

filipepc said:
Valv.Piti said:
Broccolidwarf said:

I don´t see that way... Tinkoff is not sky or astana and never was!!! Maybe it should be, but it isn´t.

Let see the last 3 year ok...

2013 - Contador , kreuziguer, hernandez, roche, rogers, benatti, tossato, paulinho, benjamim
2014- Contador, majka, roche, rogers, jesus hernandez, paulino, tossato, morkov, bennati
2015 - Contador, Majka, kreuziguer, rogers, Basso, valgreen, sagan, bennati, tossato,

Normally, 3 climbers, not more... At least with good quality, not more than 3. And honestly i don´t think the problem is the number of the climbers, the problem, is that climbers can´t suport Contador like i see the sky train doing for the last 5 years... To me the problem is this...

3 or 4 good climbers are enough to help a leader, but if they can´t follow the attacks and the leader until the last km´s as almost always we see... Then... Contador has another problem.

Majka and kreuziguer have obligation to hang on until the las km´s. Kiserslovsky can do the beginning of the climbs. The firs two are guys that have top 10, and top 5 results in grand tours, so no excuses.

Sagan can guide him in the uphill´s finish... ( but maybe he wants to win, and that is the problem).

So, to me the problem is the commitment that they have to Contador,and that is the big diference to another teams with leader that want to win...

The only surprise, beacuse this year Rogers isn´t there and he is a huge rider, i thought Paulinho must have gone, beacuse he is a good roller and great descent, and Contador maybe could use him.

But, let´s see. If he is ok, the problem is not the mountais, but get there without loosing time.

I don't get your math..... I see it as:

2013: 4 climbers + Contador
2014: 5 climbers + Contador
2015: 4 climbers + Contador
2016: 3 climbers + Contador

Obviously we can always debate who is a climber and who is not, but for all intends and purposes, Contador has 1-2 climbers less this year.

The problem is not just sitting with Contador, it is also being able to pull in lieutenants attacks in the mountains and defending Contadors position in the GC, and someone still needs to go get bottles btw, and someone also might need to go away early in long range attacks.

If just one of the 3 has an off day or a defect at the wrong time, they are in trouble, which is why I would have liked to see an extra climber in there.

I am actually shocked they picked Gatto over Hansen, if the object really is the Yellow Jersey

TRENDING THREADS