• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1492 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
If you look closely, Bookwalter's wheel didn't touch Contador. 100% his own fault for what it is worth.
Doesn't matter one bit.

Oh Red Rick.

There were discussions over who caused it, I just felt to chime in on the matter as well. Thats why I wrote 'for what it is worth', implying, it doesnt really matter.

I know you dislike me. Strongly. I don't like you either, but keep it classy. You are taking subtle shots at me over and over since I am more sceptic of AC than most and call it how I see it.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
If you look closely, Bookwalter's wheel didn't touch Contador. 100% his own fault for what it is worth.
Doesn't matter one bit.

Oh Red Rick.

There were discussions over who caused it, I just felt to chime in on the matter as well. Thats why I wrote 'for what it is worth', implying, it doesnt really matter.

I know you dislike me. Strongly. I don't like you either, but keep it classy. You are taking subtle shots at me over and over since I am more sceptic of AC than most and call it how I see it.
This should have been sent as a PM.

Please don't clog the thread with letters to people that have nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

TIA. :)

King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
I have no idea what a GC favourite is doing getting himself trapped in against a traffic island at 80km to go in the first stage of the tour. Very poor positioning.
And I have no idea what you're talking about.
Seems fairly obvious to me, I'm not sure I can explain it any clearer.
It seemed to me it was the crash that got him trapped against the traffic island. Are you saying he was stupid for crashing? Do you suppose he chose to go down there?

As for his positioning, are you aware that the peloton was really nervous because of possible echelons which meant GC contenders tried to be at the front?

LaFlorecita said:
sir fly said:
LaFlorecita said:
TommyGun said:
French TV totally bashing Contador ("The crash was his own fault", "This rider just crashes a lot", etc.) and disregarding him as a Tour favourite ("Tomorrow we might see the first battle between Froome and Quintana"): this is so annoying, I cannot wait for these idiots to be proven wrong.
Pfff.... Idiots :(
Just saw a video from another angle, Alberto is the one to go down first but it's hard to tell if it's because Bookwalter touches his back wheel or if Alberto just loses grip on the road
Contador, himself, said it was a traffic island he caught.
He smashed into a traffic island after he had already crashed.

Seemed like a really hard hit, amazing that he apparently did not suffer any fractures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLwZoTGhDyk&feature=youtu.be

That was a pretty rough fall. If he really didn't sustain any fractures, then he's really lucky, because he hit kinda hard that island with his right side.

Let's just hope that he can recover fast, but in the next few days his resting will be shitty.

King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
I have no idea what a GC favourite is doing getting himself trapped in against a traffic island at 80km to go in the first stage of the tour. Very poor positioning.

Well she knows, but it's a really a dense (sorry) comment you made so maybe she was hoping you made a typo or just meant something else.

Kwibus said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

Well she knows, but it's a really a dense (sorry) comment you made so maybe she was hoping you made a typo or just meant something else.
No, I meant exactly what I typed, thanks.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Kwibus said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

No, I meant exactly what I typed, thanks.

Well, to be quite honest, his back wheel looks to clipped by bookwalter, not bad positioning, just unfortunate luck

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
It seemed to me it was the crash that got him trapped against the traffic island. Are you saying he was stupid for crashing? Do you suppose he chose to go down there?

As for his positioning, are you aware that the peloton was really nervous because of possible echelons which meant GC contenders tried to be at the front?

He was trapped in and that caused him to crash. I'm not saying he is stupid or he chose to crash. I am saying he should never have been in the situation in the first place. And yes, I'm fully aware of how to ride a bike race, the fact it is the first stage was pointed out in my post.

I don't know whose fault it was, either his or his teams, but he is a GC favourite riding the first stage of the tour. Everyone knows it's nervous and he should have been either front and centre or at least in the middle of the road and either he or his team didn't do that. Some crashes are just bad luck, but the chance of crashing is much higher if you end up in the gutter or next to road furniture. Someone, either him, his team mates or his team car should have been making sure he kept himself away from the edge of the road.

Don't know if it has already been posted:

13495313_10154463020925312_6202273387466056405_n.jpg

RattaKuningas said:
Matteo. said:
Holy god, again. It is not possible. :mad:

The only positive aspect is that the most damage is on the shoulder and not on the knee. there is time to recover up to the Pyrenees

Contador probably needs his shoulders as much as his knees with his distinct out of the saddle style.
No. Last year he won a Giro with a destroyed shoulder...instead in 2011, he has not recovered for several stages since the crash that dameged his knee

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
In an article on Velonews he is quoted as saying the following:

“There was a lot of tension because we were fighting for positions at the front to avoid the wind,” said Contador. “We were paying attention but I saw a central reservation too late and the front wheel went to the side. It’s bad luck, I’m screwed.”

He has been very crash prone at the Tour for whatever reason. Crashed in all the Tours he's competed at since since 2011. Some of his crashes more serious than others obviously. This one could have been very serious.
Watching the replay of his crash today, it looks like what he himself said - that he saw the central reservation too late, and in his late reaction, crashed the bike. I wish he could just stay on his bloody bike!

King Boonen said:
He was trapped in and that caused him to crash. I'm not saying he is stupid or he chose to crash. I am saying he should never have been in the situation in the first place. And yes, I'm fully aware of how to ride a bike race, the fact it is the first stage was pointed out in my post.

I don't know whose fault it was, either his or his teams, but he is a GC favourite riding the first stage of the tour. Everyone knows it's nervous and he should have been either front and centre or at least in the middle of the road and either he or his team didn't do that. Some crashes are just bad luck, but the chance of crashing is much higher if you end up in the gutter or next to road furniture. Someone, either him, his team mates or his team car should have been making sure he kept himself away from the edge of the road.
But he really wasn't that close to the traffic island. If his wheel hadn't slipped on those road markings he wouldn't have crashed.

Of course, I doubt many riders knew there was a traffic island after that curve at all.

Not sure what he did wrong in terms of positioning. It was just shitty luck.

TRENDING THREADS