• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1514 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
People expected he'd lose minutes today and it turns out to be seconds. If Majka actually gave a damn he mightn't have leaked anything more than a handful of seconds. Considering it's a punchy climb and his injuries, he did very well today. 1:20 is nothing this early in a Tour. Relax...

Yes, I thought folks on this forum were expecting minutes and hoping it would be seconds. Well it ends up being second so why they crying? Its all about limiting the losses. 2 tough days still to come. But his team is all over the place. No support. sad

He shouldn't continue. The chance he recovers enough for the last week to have a decent chance to grab a stage is really, really small and anyway you could ask yourself if a chance to win a stage is worth the pain. He has 2 sore shoulders, a sore calf and a sore bum. Those bruises aren't going to go away in a few days.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
He shouldn't continue. The chance he recovers enough for the last week to have a decent chance to grab a stage is really, really small and anyway you could ask yourself if a chance to win a stage is worth the pain. He has 2 sore shoulders, a sore calf and a sore bum. Those bruises aren't going to go away in a few days.
go on until first rest day. If it doesn't get any better focus towards Vuelta would be my guess

Re:

RattaKuningas said:
I have to admit I'm becoming more doubtful now. I have no idea what happened with him in the end. Is it problem with descending or he just doesn't have it right now because of the injuries sustained on stage 1 and 2.
He already dropped before the descent. It wasn't that surprising, he didn't look comfortable for most of the last 30km.

Re:

RattaKuningas said:
I have to admit I'm becoming more doubtful now. I have no idea what happened with him in the end. Is it problem with descending or he just doesn't have it right now because of the injuries sustained on stage 1 and 2.

It isn't a mystery. Some might try to make it sound like it's because of his low level of form coming into the Tour. That's nonsense. Forget whether he would have actually won the Tour. He wouldn't have been dropped by Rolland, Mollema, ect. He's obviously hurting because of the crashes.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:

He should at least wait a couple of days and see how he recovers, and if he recovers well, see if he's strong enough.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:

:cool:
Pyreenes will be a massacre. We must be aware :(

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
RattaKuningas said:
He already dropped before the descent. It wasn't that surprising, he didn't look comfortable for most of the last 30km.
He couldn't follow the attack. Bardets attack put him off the back, not the pace.

Re:

RattaKuningas said:

It's obviously due to the injuries. I think he can be fully healed by the second week but fear a DQ is imminent, also because of the demoralization of being pratically teamless.

Must be frustrating for his fans, looking at how the field looks (nobody looks really strong, even Quintana and Froome give ''meh'' first impressions) he could have won this rather easily.

Re:

perico said:
Delgado came back from a 9 minute deficit to finish on the podium against to riders as talented as Froome or Quintana. Hold the wheels then go off on Ventoux. He may not win, but can still podium if his health improves

If you're talking 1989 LeMond and Fignon are in an entirely and higher talent class than Froome and Quintana IMO. But the later 2 guys still have to finish writing their story.

Alberto's morale must be so low right now and he doesn't seem to have team support.

Majka has always been selfish IMO. But with the team folding it looks like it's every man for himself :(

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
fantomas said:
He's being interviewed now. It went better than he expected today, but he's still really disappointed that all of his hard work preparing for the Tour seems in vain. Also, his spirits are still high, but the body just doesn't respond well. May set other goals than GC, but he'll wait and see.
:( :( so disappointing and frustrating, it's already hard for me to see him struggle because I can imagine how hard he worked for this, it must be so much worse for him :(
With all due respect we can not imagine that...fortunately

LaFlorecita said:
RattaKuningas said:

At times he looked outright Awful...all out suffer mode.

I think riding to the first rest day and after a rest make a decision.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Vino attacks everyone said:
LaFlorecita said:
go on until first rest day. If it doesn't get any better focus towards Vuelta would be my guess
Thats my guess too.

BigMac said:
RattaKuningas said:

It's obviously due to the injuries. I think he can be fully healed by the second week but fear a DQ is imminent, also because of the demoralization of being pratically teamless.

Must be frustrating for his fans, looking at how the field looks (nobody looks really strong, even Quintana and Froome give ''meh'' first impressions) he could have won this rather easily.

Indeed. I think this is part of what has him demoralized a bit.

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Poor guy...
I wanna believe in the miracle. Everything can happen in cycling, but with his luck so far I fear this will be almost impossible to turn around.

I just wanna see him dance up the mountains in lonely majesty again. Might have to wait for the Vuelta for that to happen, sadly.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
He has until sunday to recover, i don't think any big GC action wll happen untill then

If he can fully recover, then maybe but i don't know. If he can't and loses minutes then abandon and vuelta

Re:

Miburo said:
He has until sunday to recover, i don't think any big GC action wll happen untill then

If he can fully recover, then maybe but i don't know. If he can't and loses minutes then abandon and vuelta

I think another test will be on stage 7 already because I think that Movistar is going to set high tempo there also.

TRENDING THREADS