• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1521 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Why not go for an epic stage win and the mountains jersey?
Because Sky and Movistar will never allow him to go in a break. And it seems clear he will score no points whatsoever in the Pyrenees, I don't think he'll be able to get enough points in the Alps to win the KOM classification.
How about conceding a generous amount of time on some flat stage (if pride is an issue, he can always say it was due to the injuries) and then go on combined raids for mountain stages and the polka-dot jersey, à la Rasmussen?

CheckMyPecs said:
LaFlorecita said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Because Sky and Movistar will never allow him to go in a break. And it seems clear he will score no points whatsoever in the Pyrenees, I don't think he'll be able to get enough points in the Alps to win the KOM classification.
How about conceding a generous amount of time on some flat stage (if pride is an issue, he can always say it was due to the injuries) and then go on combined raids for mountain stages and the polka-dot jersey, à la Rasmussen?
Of course, if he could win 2 stages and the mountain jersey, this Tour would still be a bit of a succes despite not winning yellow, but I highly doubt Movistar and Sky would let him go even if he was 10-15 minutes behind.

Disagree.

For Contador, only winning the Tour can be a success.

If he can't do that he should try for the next most important race- olympics

If its too early go for the next most important after that- Vuelta.

But next year has to be all about Tour.

There will always be the monkey on his back that he could never win the Tour post suspension. Unless he can do it.

LaFlorecita said:
CheckMyPecs said:
LaFlorecita said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Of course, if he could win 2 stages and the mountain jersey, this Tour would still be a bit of a succes despite not winning yellow, but I highly doubt Movistar and Sky would let him go even if he was 10-15 minutes behind.

What the hell would the mountain jersey add to Contador's palmares? Only winning the tour can be success for him. Even a podium would be more success than the mountain jersey given that it would be his best result in the Tour post-suspension.

A 4th Vuelta would do much more for his palmares than a podium in the tour, and if he can get in good shape next year, the 100th Giro means he's still got a good chance of one final yellow jersey

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Interesting things to think about
If Quintana had given up in 2014 Giro after 2 weeks, because he was sick would he have....won it?
If Nibs had given up when everyone said quit in 2016 Giro would he have...won it?

Its really baffling that after setbacks even so early in the game, people are saying quit, run away. I rate Bertie higher than Quintana and Nibs mentally, why would quitting be in his books? As we say in entrepreneurship, the moment you begin to think about a plan B, close the business and sit at home. One mind, one focus, one goal, persevere till...success.

CheckMyPecs said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
Tbf, Kreuziger sacrificed a podium in the 2013 Tour to help Contador finish 4th, and has been really loyal in general. You can't be too mad at him for not waiting yesterday.
If it's true that De Jongh and Yates told him multiple times to wait, he deserves all of the flak he is getting.
Maybe they should have looked harder for a new sponsor instead of expecting Roman to bury his chances of a decent new contract just to help Bertie finish 6th.

What do the two have anything to do with the other?

Kreuziger is pursuing his own interests while at the same time talking the talk of someone that is riding for Alberto. There is a conflict there. Him looking back, seeing the rider that he's supposed to be supporting suffering, struggling to maintain contact and then making the snap decision to leave him to suffer alone, then when interviewed spout the "We are still riding for Contador and there is no conflict" is insulting to the intelligence of anyone who watched it all unfold and have bared witness to all the evidence that is available.
At that point in the posted photo, Kreuziger began his own gc strategy.

Even if Contador can recover to be competitive with Froome & Quintana, his team clearly won't be. Not doubt, him going up against Froome and Quintana mano-a-mano would restore his confidence and be a great spectacle, but even mano-a-mano requires a strong team for the first 3/4 of the stage. I hope he recovers, but a leg not working 5 days after your crash, is not a good indication, recovery is happening. We'll soon find out at the weekend I guess.

CheckMyPecs said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
Tbf, Kreuziger sacrificed a podium in the 2013 Tour to help Contador finish 4th, and has been really loyal in general. You can't be too mad at him for not waiting yesterday.
If it's true that De Jongh and Yates told him multiple times to wait, he deserves all of the flak he is getting.
Maybe they should have looked harder for a new sponsor instead of expecting Roman to bury his chances of a decent new contract just to help Bertie finish 6th.

If someone was thinking of hiring Kreuziger to help the leader of their team, maybe they're having some doubts now. Loyalty is also an important part of a rider. Who wants a selfish guy in the team? Having said that, this was the first time that Kreuziger showed some kind of disloyalty to Contador.

Don't forget, also, that in his last Giro for Astana, Kreuziger had some shitty attitudes, which demonstrated that his personality has some faults.

PremierAndrew said:
What the hell would the mountain jersey add to Contador's palmares? Only winning the tour can be success for him. Even a podium would be more success than the mountain jersey given that it would be his best result in the Tour post-suspension.

A 4th Vuelta would do much more for his palmares than a podium in the tour, and if he can get in good shape next year, the 100th Giro means he's still got a good chance of one final yellow jersey
I would rather see him go for the Vuelta but I realize that he is unlikely to quit. In that case, the best possible result for him (besides pulling off a miraculous overall win) would be a couple stage wins and perhaps a mountain jersey. He'd get to be a part of the celebrations in Paris and this "hasn't won a stage since 2009" talk would stop too.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I just wanna see Contador attack in the 3rd week, i'll be a happy lad then.

Imagine if he isn't riding for GC anymore, just in breakaways attacking like a madman. Sounds pretty good to me.

Mana a mano beating froome and quintana is even better :D

Re:

jilbiker said:
Interesting things to think about
If Quintana had given up in 2014 Giro after 2 weeks, because he was sick would he have....won it?
If Nibs had given up when everyone said quit in 2016 Giro would he have...won it?

Its really baffling that after setbacks even so early in the game, people are saying quit, run away. I rate Bertie higher than Quintana and Nibs mentally, why would quitting be in his books? As we say in entrepreneurship, the moment you begin to think about a plan B, close the business and sit at home. One mind, one focus, one goal, persevere till...success.

I think it's more because he's really injured. Look at how he was riding his bike yesterday. That's just unhealthy and I don't want him to destroy his body.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Did everyone who is saying Contador should abandon watch the Giro this year? Because there were people clamoring for Nibali to drop out throughout the race as well. Good thing he didn't listen. Just like with Nibali during the Giro, there's probably only a dozen or so people who really know what's going on with Contador: teammates, team masseuse, team doctor... If Contador abandons it's the right decision for him, if he keeps on, that's also the right decision for him.

Kudos to Bob Roll (ex TdF rider). Normally this guy really turns me off and is anti Contador but in the pre race show he said 'Let's not forget Alberto Contador is one of the greatest bike racers who has ever lived and I think he'll keep fighting.....if he starts feeling better.... a rider of the talent that Contador has he is going to launch some savage attacks and get himself back into the race. I'm never counting him out until he says so."

Forza Alberto!!!!

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Kreuziger, Valgren and Yates talk about yesterday:
http://sport.tv2.dk/cykling/2016-07-07-daarlig-stemning-paa-tinkoff-ignorerede-superhjaelper-contadors-problemer

Valgren: "It was a bad day yesterday, when Roman didn't wait for Alberto. But there are two sides to the story and now we are looking forward. Roman says he didn't see Alberto getting dropped, but obviously he did so of course there was a bad atmosphere, but we have talked it through and hopefully it won't happen again."

Yates: "There is now discussion. The situation has been sorted out and we are moving on. I don't think Contador was happy but the reason for his time loss was his injuries. It's debateable how much time he could have saved had someone waited for him."

Angliru said:
CheckMyPecs said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:

What do the two have anything to do with the other?

Kreuziger is pursuing his own interests while at the same time talking the talk of someone that is riding for Alberto. There is a conflict there. Him looking back, seeing the rider that he's supposed to be supporting suffering, struggling to maintain contact and then making the snap decision to leave him to suffer alone, then when interviewed spout the "We are still riding for Contador and there is no conflict" is insulting to the intelligence of anyone who watched it all unfold and have bared witness to all the evidence that is available.
At that point in the posted photo, Kreuziger began his own gc strategy.
I can still see AC battling in the third week, and as I have said several times in several threads, a lot can happen in a GT so unless his pain is unbearable he should stay in the TdF.

EDIT: I moved my comments about RK to his thread.

LaFlorecita said:
jilbiker said:
Quitters are losers. Sorry I have to be so blunt. There is no doubt in my mind that Contador will not quit, and he shouldn't. I wouldn't unless there is a blaring physical impairment and medical staff advises to quit. Fight it till the last possible breath. Vuelta is probably not on his mind and it shouldn't. Bertie is a champion not a loser.
A champion wins races. An anonymous top 10 at the TDF is for losers.

Seems a bit harsh

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

CatsNK said:
Did everyone who is saying Contador should abandon watch the Giro this year? Because there were people clamoring for Nibali to drop out throughout the race as well. Good thing he didn't listen. Just like with Nibali during the Giro, there's probably only a dozen or so people who really know what's going on with Contador: teammates, team masseuse, team doctor... If Contador abandons it's the right decision for him, if he keeps on, that's also the right decision for him.

Please don't compare the TDF with any other race in this world. And please don't compare a healthy Nibali with a guy with multiple crashes.

Nibali peaked in 3rd week with the by far strongest team against riders like Chaves, Jungels, Uran or Majka without teams. Contador has to recover from injuries and must outperform the best GT Riders in the post Armstrong-era in the greatest race in the world without a team against the two best teams in the world. I don't think you can compare this.

When he is out for the GC he can save his energy completely and can destroy all at the MTT, when Froome and Quinti fought hard the days before. It's the best possibility for him to win a stage. To win the GC he needs two DNF from Froome and Quinti and his best shape from tomorrow on until Paris. I think both are very unlikely.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I´m sad with the situation and MAD with the team.

Sad, beacuse i´m not blind for a rider, i´m a Contador fan, but i love cyling and so i enjoy when a watch a good race with a good fight even if it isn´t my rider to win. That´s because why i´m sad.

I wanted to see Contador mano a mano with others and this way i, or we can´t. He Is injury so is another year that we can´t see if can do it against froome and quintana or not... And he is almost 34... so the time is getting short... To me that´s sad. I just wanted to everyone is ok, until the mountains, and then, the best to win... But...

About being MAD, this is rubbish... A team that has a leader a top leader, the guy with more grand tours of the entire peloton, let their leader alone? What the hell is this?

I remeber arguing with a guy some pages befores in this thread that the problem to me it wasn´t he has 3 ou 4 or 5 climbers to help him, the problem his the commitment that the team could have with him.

If his best 2 climbers behave like this, there´s nothing more to say. I just hope he has the strenght to fight, like he usually does... And i hope he finds a tem that protect him a little more than this... Riding alone is not easy.

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
I lost a lot of respect for RK. He flat out lied, not just once, but several times using different lies. That few minutes of racing followed by his lies is the worst thing he could have done for his 'job interview'. I can't see teams lining up to sign a guy who can't be trusted in a race, and is dishonest.

And what should he, in your opinion, say even if it was his fault? "Sorry guys, I lost my head and I rode for myself?" Even the team would not allow him to say that, because obviously no one wants to admit fault and show weakness. I´m not defending him, if it is true, he should have stayed with Alberto, but what can they do now other than do not admit it. It is very sad, but it happens. They are not machines.

A lot of people forget about the past, which was already mentioned above - Tour 2013 and all of the other stage races when he raced exclusively for Alberto. I think that he does not deserve this trash talk.

The best strategy is to look for different goals namely Olympics and Vuelta. It is clear now that he cant be competitive this TDF. Be in the gruppetto for a week or so. A week is enough to recover any minor problems with fitness that he currently has. Then go on the attack (which is what the fans want) for stages in the one day manner - all out- with Nibali in alternate stages. This should be good training for Olympics and Vuelta without fatiguing the legs and should salvage some pride for him. But the decision to do so and free his team up has to be done as quickly as possible with cold rational logic and not with the heart for once. anyway he has nothing to prove to anybody. The fans don't like to see him get dropped again and again even on small mountains.

TuCzech said:
I lost a lot of respect for RK. He flat out lied, not just once, but several times using different lies. That few minutes of racing followed by his lies is the worst thing he could have done for his 'job interview'. I can't see teams lining up to sign a guy who can't be trusted in a race, and is dishonest.

And what should he, in your opinion, say even if it was his fault? "Sorry guys, I lost my head and I rode for myself?" Even the team would not allow him to say that, because obviously no one wants to admit fault and show weakness. I´m not defending him, if it is true, he should have stayed with Alberto, but what can they do now other than do not admit it. It is very sad, but it happens. They are not machines.

A lot of people forget about the past, which was already mentioned above - Tour 2013 and all of the other stage races when he raced exclusively for Alberto. I think that he does not deserve this trash talk.
If its true? Look at the video and photos.
Trash talk? So truth is trash talk?

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
If its true? Look at the video and photos.
Trash talk? So truth is trash talk?

I see him 400m from the line looking back. How much would they save at this point, if he dropped further back? Not much, but it was apparently his mistake. And I´m not talking out the discussion if he was called back or not, but about the trash that he is not loyal, how Alberto has no team and so on and so on. Look at the past.

TRENDING THREADS