• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1591 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:
See. No problem. Plenty of time left, panic never won someone anything

Dude, De La Cruz, Talansky and Scarponi hung on this group. You can't realistically conclude anything from this..
Including Scarponi with those two hurts me
Yup. Now that Lopez got *** over by his crash a top 10 from Scarponi should be in the cards

Today on CyclingNews:

About today
"We knew it wasn't a very difficult final climb, but the important thing is I felt a lot better," Contador said. "Obviously your legs always hurt after an effort like that, but I feel fine and pleased to have got through another stage."

About yesterday
Contador had said before the stage that it was possible that his poor performance on the Ezaro climb was due to dehydration, given he said he had suffered more than usual in the heat, his pulse rate went very high and he had felt very thirsty. Other sources confirmed that after Ezaro, Contador was so dehydrated he spent roughly two hours in the anti-doping control before he could produce a urine sample.

About the rest of the race
"I feel pretty optimistic now," he added, "I'll start to try to shake things up a little further on, when I've got the right kind of form that racing can give you."

That interview is very uplifting and it makes sense he couldn't pee after dehydrating and so on and so forth, but its only words and its rare to see GC-contenders straight up say they didn't have it, especially so early on. We will have to wait for Camperona and Naranco, but probably most importantly, Covadonga.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Today on CyclingNews:

About today
"We knew it wasn't a very difficult final climb, but the important thing is I felt a lot better," Contador said. "Obviously your legs always hurt after an effort like that, but I feel fine and pleased to have got through another stage."

About yesterday
Contador had said before the stage that it was possible that his poor performance on the Ezaro climb was due to dehydration, given he said he had suffered more than usual in the heat, his pulse rate went very high and he had felt very thirsty. Other sources confirmed that after Ezaro, Contador was so dehydrated he spent roughly two hours in the anti-doping control before he could produce a urine sample.

About the rest of the race
"I feel pretty optimistic now," he added, "I'll start to try to shake things up a little further on, when I've got the right kind of form that racing can give you."

That is true, I noted a lot trayig to climb los Lagos this month, that kill me, not just the hard slopes, it is the mixture of hot and humidity. But Froome use to suffer a lot humidity, like in Rio.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
That interview is very uplifting and it makes sense he couldn't pee after dehydrating and so on and so forth, but its only words and its rare to see GC-contenders straight up say they didn't have it, especially so early on. We will have to wait for Camperona and Naranco, but probably most importantly, Covadonga.
Camperona will be importat becouse the stage suits complete riders, not just climbers, with a flat stage with wind and stress and maybe echelons (as well a crazy hot for norther Spain that I am suffering now) before the last really hard .

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

To be fair, the same happened to him in the last MTF of the 2015 Giro. According to him, at least.

Let's hope that it's true, so that he can increase his performance and we have a better race.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

lenric said:
Valv.Piti said:

To be fair, the same happened to him in the last MTF of the 2015 Giro. According to him, at least.

Let's hope that it's true, so that he can increase his performance and we have a better race.

Yes, his interview has a different vibe to it. He sounded a bit more sure and it's very encouraging. If he got so bad form, he should have dropped today too. So, I hope it's true and he'll spark a fireworks now that he lost 1.30 to the main contenders. Other wise I'm going to rooting for other contender.. :lol:

Jelantik said:
lenric said:
Valv.Piti said:

Yes, his interview has a different vibe to it. He sounded a bit more sure and it's very encouraging. If he got so bad form, he should have dropped today too. So, I hope it's true and he'll spark a fireworks now that he lost 1.30 to the main contenders. Other wise I'm going to rooting for other contender.. :lol:

No, he shouldn't. You can't compare the two climbs

ienric: Yes, thats why I say its uplifting, encouraging or whatever.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Jelantik said:
lenric said:
Valv.Piti said:

No, he shouldn't. You can't compare the two climbs

ienric: Yes, thats why I say its uplifting, encouraging or whatever.

okay, then. At least his interview sounds encouraging... we'll see how he goes on Saturday.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
He has had bad days like this in the vuelta and still won the thing. In 2012 on that murito where purito won before Froome and in the vuelta 2014 where Froome dropped Contador on a murito too.

When it happens more than once, then you've to really worry but it's still so early.

On the aubisque you can toy with minutes

What was that climb called? Fuerte del Rapitan or something. I think Contador cited dehydration that day as well. However, the simple truth is that he needs to get better quickly. There's 4 consecutive MTFs coming, and I feel that if he still gets dropped on Lagos de Covadonga it will be too late.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Lagos is a pretty shitty climb, last 2 times it didn't really made any differences. Then again that was maybe more cause purito and piti did their best wheelsucking in cycling history.

That was frustrating to watch.

Kiserlovski looks so much like Alberto at times, wow I almost got a heart attack, also because De Jongh was at his side. Looked like a collarbone, hope he recovers quickly :(
Alberto was grimacing a lot again, he said he came into this race a bit undercooked but he believes that will be an advantage later on. He cannot lose more time thought in the next few stages and that looks like a difficult task now.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
MIBURO, he´s going to destroy everyone? Tell me men... I want to believe...

Let´s hope he can do it...

About lagos, the main dificulty is in the begining... If he starts attacking... maybe, but if they let the km´s pass... and pass... trying to do what nowadays we watch more in cycling that is letting go... hoping for some rivals fade... then maybe it won´t make so much diferences...

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Kiserlovski looks so much like Alberto at times, wow I almost got a heart attack, also because De Jongh was at his side. Looked like a collarbone, hope he recovers quickly :(
Alberto was grimacing a lot again, he said he came into this race a bit undercooked but he believes that will be an advantage later on. He cannot lose more time thought in the next few stages and that looks like a difficult task now.

Miburo said:
He looked pretty good imo, but damn man, this guy really can't position xD

You both should start a cycling podcast together. You'd bring the right balance of different perspectives.

TRENDING THREADS