• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1682 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

ice&fire said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
After this day I dare to believe my sports heroes can do the impossible again. Contador will win Tour+Vuelta+Lombardia next year
Murray? :confused:
Yup :D
Wake up! Contador is cycling's Rafa Nadal :p
I've always seen him more as Roger Federer than Rafa, though I did dream once that Contador was playing a Roland Garros final

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-defends-contador-after-tinkov-criticism/

In October, as the Tinkoff team competed in its final races, Tinkov attacked Contador, revealing in a final interview with Cyclingnews that the two never got on. The Russian team owner suggested Contador will be like 'a limping duck' after he decided to continue his career with Trek-Segafredo and not retire as initially planned. Tinkov also warned about Contador's entourage that will move to Trek-Segafredo for 2017.

Basso revealed to Gazzetta dello Sport that he has spoken to Tinkov and given his point of view. He denied there is a Contador clan that is difficult to manage.

"I don't agree. The point is that when a marriage ends, there are always some problems. Time will tell who is right. I've clarified my relationship and my point of view with Tinkov," Basso explained.

"Alberto is simply a guy who often forgets about the talent he has. He is still working hard with ambitious goals even though he's won everything time and time again. He's got the wellbeing that a career like his has given him but he lives for his sport."

Basso is convinced Contador has done the right thing by extending his career.

"There's no doubt about it. And he'll prove it. Oleg asked me the same question and I said: 'Nobody has the right to say to a rider like Contador when they have to quit'," Basso said.

"I don't want to enter into the details of their relationship but there's nothing wrong with riders being obsessed about a race. Being obsessed is what helped him win all that he has.

"For sure Alberto can win another Grand Tour. I've always said that he doesn't race against Quintana, Froome or other top riders, he races against himself."

Classy reponse

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I've always thought how much those 2 bonded on Disco in 2007, do you know Flo?
Basso wasn't on the team for very long but they were good friends even before their time together on Tinkoff, so something must have happened at Disco

By the way, I've thought about getting a 'Poder es querer' tattoo lately, any Alberto-lovahs who has on of those?
I'd go for querer es poder instead ;)

Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
No comments.....
Please tell me you don't have the tattoo yet :lol:
I don't, I have just considered it, but my brain likes to play games with me from time to time for some reason. I often find myself writing a lot of nonsense lately.
To be fair it can happen very easily to make this mistake. I speak a bit of Spanish so I understand the words poder and querer out of the context, but I think if you don't speak Spanish mixing up words like this is absolutely normal.

Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
No comments.....
I don't, I have just considered it, but my brain likes to play games with me from time to time for some reason. I often find myself writing a lot of nonsense lately.
To be fair it can happen very easily to make this mistake. I speak a bit of Spanish so I understand the words poder and querer out of the context, but I think if you don't speak Spanish mixing up words like this is absolutely normal.

But I DO speak Spanish pretty fluently (some would argue I don't), thats why its pretty messed up. :D

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
No comments.....

But I DO speak Spanish pretty fluently (some would argue I don't), thats why its pretty messed up. :D

But why worry? The sentence A = B doesn't differ at all from B = A I guess ;)

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
You win guys. As long as Berto does the same I'm perfectly fine with it ;).

Btw for days now I'm killing the boredom at work watching Berto footage on YT. Bloody hell why is it still only november :confused:

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
http://www.velonews.com/2016/11/news/road/new-team-is-key-to-contadors-2017-tour-ambitions_425251
Some insight

Contador leaves behind Team Tinkoff, a team whose owner Oleg Tinkov was as loud and obnoxious as its neon yellow kit.
:lol:

Seem like Guercilena and Trek supported him wholeheartedly more than Oleg. Trek treat and view him as a person rather than like a race horse. Hopefully, with a new environment, a new kit, a new equipment will bring total fresh start for Contador to finally be able to race relax and concentrate on what stages are mattered. And hopefully, new team and a new year will finally bring a good luck for Contador. I really want him to stick it to Oleg.

Guercilena is spot on, Cancellara was old too, but he still can win the race that matters. If he can do it, I don't see why not for Contador. Maybe straight duel of strength to strength, Froome and Quintana has the upper hand. But Contador has wealth of experience and wit. I guess as long as he stays upright... :D .

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Jelantik said:
LaFlorecita said:
http://www.velonews.com/2016/11/news/road/new-team-is-key-to-contadors-2017-tour-ambitions_425251
Some insight

Contador leaves behind Team Tinkoff, a team whose owner Oleg Tinkov was as loud and obnoxious as its neon yellow kit.
:lol:

Seem like Guercilena and Trek supported him wholeheartedly more than Oleg. Trek treat and view him as a person rather than like a race horse. Hopefully, with a new environment, a new kit, a new equipment will bring total fresh start for Contador to finally be able to race relax and concentrate on what stages are mattered. And hopefully, new team and a new year will finally bring a good luck for Contador. I really want him to stick it to Oleg.

Guercilena is spot on, Cancellara was old too, but he still can win the race that matters. If he can do it, I don't see why not for Contador. Maybe straight duel of strength to strength, Froome and Quintana has the upper hand. But Contador has wealth of experience and wit. I guess as long as he stays upright... :D .

I still don't believe that Tinkov has had such a bad influence on whether Berto was relaxed or not. In my view it has a lot more to do with the past seasons and several other factors like the awful lot of stress in the first week. If you look at his performance in the Vuelta this year he not only gave it his all, but had on top of that he had that fantastic inspiration to once again create the attack of the year.

No, Conta has just to manage his own expectations and obsessions I guess. To maintain a good balance between aggressiveness and focus. And oh yes that's difficult as hell. But I don't see anything that might change his approach nor any reasons for that. Because the champion himself is always the one that puts the most pressure on him. Intrinsic motivation. As long as he keeps fully believing that he's able to win the Tour, he's able to win the Tour. And as long as that's the case it's complete BS to talk about him as finished, beyond his prime, not the same anymore, and so on.

He can still do it. But the problem is that there are a several other guys who can do exactly the same.

TRENDING THREADS