Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1680 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: El Pistolero - Story on the brilliance of Alberto Contad

gregrowlerson said:
07collian said:
Bit of a long read but I found it super enjoyable.

http://theballpoint.org/index.php/2016/11/05/el-pistolero/

First two paragraphs

Six kilometres from the finish line, Frank Schleck launches an acceleration. It’s a just a short, exploratory jab, a “How are the legs today boys?” kind of inquiry. Bertie was the first to respond, straight on to his back wheel, followed by Lance, Andy & Wiggo. They were all back together again. Frank Schleck, Andy Schleck, Bradley Wiggins, Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador. The crème-de-la-crème of this year’s Tour, the five men who would make up the top five at the end of this 3,459.5 kilometre odyssey.

The ploy from the Schleck brothers was as old as the sport itself, the classic one-two. As Contador would chase down one brother the other one would go, and they would continue inflicting this pain until Bertie would be too exhausted to respond to one of their accelerations. But today was not the day. With 5.6 kilometres to go, Contador looked at the faces of his four adversaries. It wasn’t quite as dramatic as what is simply now known as “The Look”, immortalized in 2001 on the slopes of the most iconic climb in cycling, Alpe d’Huez, but it was intimidating never the less.
I walked up the entire Verbier ascent last year (one of the better experiences of my life) and found that at the very point of Alberto's unanswerable attack, there is this tribute on the stone wall:

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13221506_10154886473220752_27336787299686929_n.jpg?oh=ce93c9ffc6811eb67df0de01775e003e&oe=58CE0B96

And with that his is last ever act in Le Tour...sad really
 
Re:

HelloDolly said:
So Contador talking about how he felt at the Vuelta and why he thinks he is still as good as ever

https://audioboom.com/posts/5268018-27-the-off-season-ramble
35:50 into the podcast :eek:
"there's gonna be some good riders at trek and some good riders coming with Contador, Jesus Hernandez is going with him ... think Michael Gogl, who was also at Tinkoff is gonna be a big help to Contador in the mountains, he's gonna be key"
 
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
HelloDolly said:
So Contador talking about how he felt at the Vuelta and why he thinks he is still as good as ever

https://audioboom.com/posts/5268018-27-the-off-season-ramble
35:50 into the podcast :eek:
"there's gonna be some good riders at trek and some good riders coming with Contador, Jesus Hernandez is going with him ... think Michael Gogl, who was also at Tinkoff is gonna be a big help to Contador in the mountains, he's gonna be key"
Well Gogl is definitely a big talent.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Cance > TheRest said:
HelloDolly said:
So Contador talking about how he felt at the Vuelta and why he thinks he is still as good as ever

https://audioboom.com/posts/5268018-27-the-off-season-ramble
35:50 into the podcast :eek:
"there's gonna be some good riders at trek and some good riders coming with Contador, Jesus Hernandez is going with him ... think Michael Gogl, who was also at Tinkoff is gonna be a big help to Contador in the mountains, he's gonna be key"
Well Gogl is definitely a big talent.
I agree. But hardly a climber (atleast yet).
 
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
LaFlorecita said:
Cance > TheRest said:
HelloDolly said:
So Contador talking about how he felt at the Vuelta and why he thinks he is still as good as ever

https://audioboom.com/posts/5268018-27-the-off-season-ramble
35:50 into the podcast :eek:
"there's gonna be some good riders at trek and some good riders coming with Contador, Jesus Hernandez is going with him ... think Michael Gogl, who was also at Tinkoff is gonna be a big help to Contador in the mountains, he's gonna be key"
Well Gogl is definitely a big talent.
I agree. But hardly a climber (atleast yet).
Agree with you on that. More of a rider for the hills and medium mountains.
 
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
LaFlorecita said:
Cance > TheRest said:
HelloDolly said:
So Contador talking about how he felt at the Vuelta and why he thinks he is still as good as ever

https://audioboom.com/posts/5268018-27-the-off-season-ramble
35:50 into the podcast :eek:
"there's gonna be some good riders at trek and some good riders coming with Contador, Jesus Hernandez is going with him ... think Michael Gogl, who was also at Tinkoff is gonna be a big help to Contador in the mountains, he's gonna be key"
Well Gogl is definitely a big talent.
I agree. But hardly a climber (atleast yet).
I have still no idea why Tinkoff thought it would be a good idea to put him in Sagan's cobbles classics team. Although actually the better question is why Sagan joined a team in which Gogl was one of the 7 best domestiques for cobbles classics. :lol:
 
Re: Re:

burning said:
Taxus4a said:
HelloDolly said:
So Contador talking about how he felt at the Vuelta and why he thinks he is still as good as ever

https://audioboom.com/posts/5268018-27-the-off-season-ramble
He is still as good as ever, but he is not the best, except in some kind of ITT as Pais Vasco
Wait, I thought the "wonderfull years" were in the past and Contador is just a shade of himself in past?
Didn't you know that Contador's time on the Lagos de Covadonga was his best ever and that his only problem was that Froome, Quintana, Valverde, Scarponi and Chaves are even better than him and would have beaten Contador in the 2009 Tour? Taxus doesn't only watch cycling, he analyses the sport, so don't question him.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
I don't get the negative talk about Gogl, he's not a climber, but he's a big talent and good on hilly/medium mountain stages just like LaFlo said. He had a pretty good 2nd half of the season (Herring Rundt, Vuelta and the EC)
That said, Trek have many riders that are great on that kind of terrain, so the fact that Gogl was explicitly named is a bit odd.
 
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I don't get the negative talk about Gogl, he's not a climber, but he's a big talent and good on hilly/medium mountain stages just like LaFlo said. He had a pretty good 2nd half of the season (Herring Rundt, Vuelta and the EC)
That said, Trek have many riders that are great on that kind of terrain, so the fact that Gogl was explicitly named is a bit odd.
I really like gogl and his performance in the vuelta this year was great. I just really find it strange that he rode cobbles classics for tinkoff
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
well, it's just like you said, he probably was the 7th best domestique for the cobbled classics on that team. :D
For Gogl himself it was probably a great learning experience.
 
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I don't get the negative talk about Gogl, he's not a climber, but he's a big talent and good on hilly/medium mountain stages just like LaFlo said. He had a pretty good 2nd half of the season (Herring Rundt, Vuelta and the EC)
That said, Trek have many riders that are great on that kind of terrain, so the fact that Gogl was explicitly named is a bit odd.
Odd indeed to mention Gogl, of all the possible riders on Trek, as a key domestique for Alberto in the mountains. I think Gogl is a great talent, but mountains are certainly not where his physical strengths lie. I agree with Gigs that he can be decent on hilly terrain and I also think he's a valuable asset for the team in terms of infiltrating breakaways, where he has a realistic shot of winning from. Sorry if it's too irrelevant for this thread. I assume Gogl doesn't have his own thread?
 
Re:

Vino attacks everyone said:
Has AC actually ever released his training numbers? Cause he's been claiming this like every year "my number are better, my numbers are better", but if this were the case, he should at least come close to do a Verbieresque performance once a year. :confused:
Perhaps it's true, but he can't carry those training numbers into races. He could be doing another Verbier right now on Pico de las Nieves. Wouldn't be too much of a surprise considering that nowdays he just surrounds himself with yes-men, instead of actually working with the best coaches and team mates he can.
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Vino attacks everyone said:
Has AC actually ever released his training numbers? Cause he's been claiming this like every year "my number are better, my numbers are better", but if this were the case, he should at least come close to do a Verbieresque performance once a year. :confused:
Perhaps it's true, but he can't carry those training numbers into races. He could be doing another Verbier right now on Pico de las Nieves. Wouldn't be too much of a surprise considering that nowdays he just surrounds himself with yes-men, instead of actually working with the best coaches and team mates he can.
Wouldn't call De Jongh a "yes-man".
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
De jongh is a yes man, no personality at all. You must be blind if you don't see that.

Nationalism maybe? But we're so mad at the brits when they act like that
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
I won't wait for fleur to respond by saying "no no de jongh change contador's training method how can he be a yes man :eek:"

I can look into the future after all or just know how someone is :)

Contador called de jongh and told him to train him, de jongh never convinced contador and as far as we know he never attempted to. Contador was laughing at paulinho for following his training. Contador just wanted to try something new.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY