• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1711 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Matteo. said:
I think he had to justify the fact that was dropped on a little slpope, so not being able to say that he was tired, cold or else, has used that trick.
He's a master of tricks and deceptions
Not sure he's deceiving or tricking anyone these days. All these excuses just make him look like a bad loser.

If he has been ill and his form is poor because of it; even more reason to keep quiet, then he might get underestimated later in the year when his form returns. The running commentary does him no favours except to help protect his ego a bit.

Perhaps the interviewer asked why he was dropped on the hill and rather than blame the weather has preferred to use the ''disease''...perhaps he had an ego or pride to defend

LaFlorecita said:
Matteo. said:
I think he had to justify the fact that was dropped on a little slope, so not being able to say that he was tired, cold or else, has used that trick.
Except he said it before the stage, I doubt he knew he would get dropped on that little hill.
Sure.
Without wind, cold, exhausting chase .... I think he would have held easily. as mentioned by someone, he suffers these conditions (also seen during the tour in 2014 on cobbles)

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Just a thought. Maybe Alberto could abandon and start Tirreno haha :D but that's so unlike Berto and Mollema would be livid
I know you're not serious, but I'd like to know this: Wouldn't you need a special dispensation for entering a new race while one you were registered for is ongoing? Think Cavendish had to have that to start the Tour of Britain one year when he dropped out of the Vuelta.

“This is Paris-Nice and it’s a very hard race,” the former Tour de France winner told Cyclingnews after the stage.

“Sometimes the differences in the opening few stages here can be bigger than the ones created in the time trials or the mountains. In the final we lost time on other favourites, but at the same time I was also close to crashing two or three times. I saved a crash and that’s an important point. Tomorrow is another day.

“The team was good but there were some moments that were crazy and we weren’t all together. The problem was that John Degenkolb and Pantano were in a crash in the last kilometres and that was hard for me. I was fighting in the group all the time so I could have a good position and I spent a lot of energy. When Porte attacked I felt it in my legs and I couldn’t follow him.”
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contadors-challenge-blown-off-course-in-paris-nice-echelons/?utm_content=buffer86873&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Squire said:
LaFlorecita said:
Just a thought. Maybe Alberto could abandon and start Tirreno haha :D but that's so unlike Berto and Mollema would be livid
I know you're not serious, but I'd like to know this: Wouldn't you need a special dispensation for entering a new race while one you were registered for is ongoing? Think Cavendish had to have that to start the Tour of Britain one year when he dropped out of the Vuelta.
Yes, you have to ask for permission

DFA123 said:
Matteo. said:
I think he had to justify the fact that was dropped on a little slpope, so not being able to say that he was tired, cold or else, has used that trick.
Not sure he's deceiving or tricking anyone these days. All these excuses just make him look like a bad loser.

If he has been ill and his form is poor because of it; even more reason to keep quiet, then he might get underestimated later in the year when his form returns. The running commentary does him no favours except to help protect his ego a bit.

Compared to Bardet I suppose he had a good day ! While Porte said it was a disaster but not a big one !

I have said it so many times. Why do fans or Alberto take all these races so seriously if his big target is the Tour?

For once he should take a different approach. Don't put too much pressure on yourself!

I know fans would say that that is the reason why they like him. But at this moment he doesn't need it.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
I have said it so many times. Why do fans or Alberto take all these races so seriously if his big target is the Tour?

For once he should take a different approach. Don't put too much pressure on yourself!

I know fans would say that that is the reason why they like him. But at this moment he doesn't need it.
Because they're not irrelevant. They are prestigious races and if he doesn't win the Tour - and let's be honest, it's not at all unlikely - several wins in those smaller stage races would mean his season wasn't a total bust.
My biggest fear for this year was (and still is) that he collects heaps of 2nd and 3rd places but no (significant) wins. He's started off well with 3 top-3's in Andalucia ;) victory here at Paris-Nice is close to impossible now, the 40km TTT at Catalunya means he'll be 3-0 behind against the likes of Porte and Froome, at the Dauphiné he's hardly ever been close to the win so that leaves, again, Pais Vasco. And I can guarantee you, if this is an unlucky season as I fear, someone will find a way to snatch the victory from him :lol:
Mainly what bothers me so much is that he always loses for silly reasons... either he loses by a second or two, or he loses time in the opening stages and starts on the back foot. It seems like he can't win just by being a tiny bit stronger these days, he always has to pull a big rabbit out of his hat or he falls just short. It's frustrating.

LaFlorecita said:
Escarabajo said:

Because they're not irrelevant. They are prestigious races and if he doesn't win the Tour - and let's be honest, it's not at all unlikely - several wins in those smaller stage races would mean his season wasn't a total bust.
My biggest fear for this year was (and still is) that he collects heaps of 2nd and 3rd places but no (significant) wins. He's started off well with 3 top-3's in Andalucia ;) victory here at Paris-Nice is close to impossible now, the 40km TTT at Catalunya means he'll be 3-0 behind against the likes of Porte and Froome, at the Dauphiné he's hardly ever been close to the win so that leaves, again, Pais Vasco. And I can guarantee you, if this is an unlucky season as I fear, someone will find a way to snatch the victory from him :lol:
Mainly what bothers me so much is that he always loses for silly reasons... either he loses by a second or two, or he loses time in the opening stages and starts on the back foot. It seems like he can't win just by being a tiny bit stronger these days, he always has to pull a big rabbit out of his hat or he falls just short. It's frustrating.
ikOiq.gif

Re:

Escarabajo said:

That is unrealistic especially these days when riders are expected to perform and sponsors are quick to move on. Contador is unlikely to win the Tour so why would he save himself for a race he is unlikely to win and soft pedal the rest ? He is a year or two from retirement, it's a bit late for sudden changes in character !

movingtarget said:
Escarabajo said:

That is unrealistic especially these days when riders are expected to perform and sponsors are quick to move on. Contador is unlikely to win the Tour so why would he save himself for a race he is unlikely to win and soft pedal the rest ? He is a year or two from retirement, it's a bit late for sudden changes in character !
Fair enough! :)

Well we'll just keep listening to excuses! :D

Escarabajo said:
movingtarget said:
Escarabajo said:

Fair enough! :)

Well we'll just keep listening to excuses! :D

It's true he is already practicing for the pension years ! Back in my day when men were men..............the positive is that he didn't crash. At least let's see him get to the end of the first week of the Tour without a serious crash. This can be seen as his gap year for crashes ! He only has four months to go.

LaFlorecita said:
Escarabajo said:

I think that if Contador were to win Pais Vasco again, and get a good run at Le Tour (whatever that finish resulted in), then he'd be pretty happy. Obviously he and his fans want to win as much as he can, but one needs to be realistic. He might target 5 or 6 stage races in the season, and be able to be in the mix to contend for three of those. There are probably two handfuls of strong stage racers in world cycling, and Alberto has to beat a handful of those to win any particular individual event. He isn't head and shoulders above the rest now, like he was pre-ban and to a lesser extent in 2014.

This start in Paris-Nice isn't even THAT bad. He has come off a lot better than many other riders, and if it was just a bit of a bad day - or recovering from illness - then the time difference to Porte is far from insurmountable.

By the way, is this serious about the Catalunya TTT? :D

I think he should put winning the race out of his mind and concentrate on giving a good show in the few mountain stages we have here. If he can stay with/improve in some of his GC rivals then it will give him confidence for future races. Yesterday was a bad day for a quite a few riders not just Contador.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Escarabajo said:

This exactly Flo.

Huge increase in Alberto's chances of winning this now. With Porte chasing stages, it will be the likes of Henao, Alaphillipe, Zakarin etc, who will try to hold Alberto's wheel. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit easier than the past days, and he can smash the TT on Wednesday!

Re:

rune1107 said:
Huge increase in Alberto's chances of winning this now. With Porte chasing stages, it will be the likes of Henao, Alaphillipe, Zakarin etc, who will try to hold Alberto's wheel. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit easier than the past days, and he can smash the TT on Wednesday!

Don't count out Dan Martin for the GC, these gaps make it very interesting, Alberto prob won't make up a whole minute in the TT so will make for an epic couple of days in the mountains!

TRENDING THREADS