• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1706 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

DFA123 said:
Right, so Contador is so insecure in his ability, that he needed to fly to Abu Dhabi to take part in a joke of a race, just to know that he could hold on to a couple of half hearted attacks by a below-par Quintana. While finishing outside the top 10 overall?

I don't really see how this is going to help him at the Tour.
Who the hell cares. Doubt it's going to hurt him either.

Jelantik said:
well, i was expecting something better considering it's a WT and not even in the top 10. Ow well, I hope he'd better be competitive more than this for PN.

Well, from like the 8th down they've all finished together, so. that's not saying much.

I think he looked good today responding to Quintana quite effortlessly. He didn't show interest in winning.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

DFA123 said:
Right, so Contador is so insecure in his ability, that he needed to fly to Abu Dhabi to take part in a joke of a race, just to know that he could hold on to a couple of half hearted attacks by a below-par Quintana. While finishing outside the top 10 overall?

I don't really see how this is going to help him at the Tour.
What a joke... enough is enough. We already understand your point and stop to fill the contador thread with a load of crap

BigMac said:
Jelantik said:
well, i was expecting something better considering it's a WT and not even in the top 10. Ow well, I hope he'd better be competitive more than this for PN.

Well, from like the 8th down they've all finished together, so. that's not saying much.

I think he looked good today responding to Quintana quite effortlessly. He didn't show interest in winning.
This this.

LF, you were very sceptic of Contador taking part of the race. And rightfully so. Yet you seem you to have changed that opinion to whatever Contador does he is right.

No need to get personal with DFA because he, contrary to you, just maintained that scepticism and ask questions. It should be allowed to question and criticise without getting half the forum up in arms. Truth to be told, when you add everything together, it doesn't make sense if you want to maximise your chances of winning P-N to go here - which was the original argument.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
LF, you were very sceptic of Contador taking part of the race. And rightfully so. Yet you seem you to have changed that opinion to whatever Contador does he is right.

No need to get personal with DFA because he, contrary to you, just maintained that scepticism and ask questions. It should be allowed to question and criticise without getting half the forum up in arms. Truth to be told, when you add everything together, it doesn't make sense if you want to maximise your chances of winning P-N to go here - which was the original argument.
How do you know?

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

I had and still have my doubts if it's the best possible option to prepare for Paris-Nice - but whatevs, he is here now, let's make the most out of it. He looked good, which bodes well for Paris-Nice.

DFA seems to criticize every single thing Berto does. Even him breathing would upset him, it appears.

Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:

How do you know?
You don't. However, it's a very reasonable and logical assumption to make. This probably isn't the ideal road to PN. So that makes me think there's other reasons he's in Abu Dhabi, be it team reasons, psychological warfare, or just ride against this field once in a relatively low key race to have more sense of how he's doing.

Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:

How do you know?
It aint obvious to you that dangling around in Abu Dhabi for 4 days with the very real chance of crashing (he already did once) isn't the best preparation? They didn't even race today. Proper races such as Andalucía and Algarve are completely different.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Oh please, you'd have a good point if DFA wasn't totally ridiculous. Contador is maybe one of the 10 best climbers in the world? :eek:

Netserk said:
Valv.Piti said:

Oh please, you'd have a good point if DFA wasn't totally ridiculous. Contador is maybe one of the 10 best climbers in the world? :eek:
I haven't read that - only that it didn't make much sense to go to Abu Dhabi from a racing perspective. Which i wholeheartedly agree with.

GC Riders and teams came en mass to Abu Dhabi because of Velon who promised the names and they did so for the money

There you have it...no other reason

But I have my sympahies for Velon because how else are they going to help build team monies and power but in new races and where the money is in the Middle East

From every rider it was tow the party line about the race.....bit like the Emperors new clothes

But what else you going to do eh?

As for Contador ...he could have been left at home as enough big name there

Netserk said:
Valv.Piti said:

Probably I said, not maybe. And it's not ridiculous; he's c ertainly one of the top five GT climbers. One of the top 10 on a single medium mountain stage? I'm not so sure, but he probably is. Froome, Quintana, Nibali, Aru, Chaves, Bardet, Valverde, Pinot, Porte, Landa could all challenge him depending on the nature of the climb imo.

DFA123 said:
Probably I said, not maybe. And it's not ridiculous; he's c ertainly one of the top five GT climbers. One of the top 10 on a single medium mountain stage? I'm not so sure, but he probably is. Froome, Quintana, Nibali, Aru, Chaves, Bardet, Valverde, Pinot, Porte, Landa could all challenge him depending on the nature of the climb imo.
Fair enough. Still, overall, Contador is definitely among the top-5 climbers in the world. Top-3 on a good day, top-1 on an *really* good day! ;)

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Perhaps a bit dissapointing for some in terms of TV-value but I liked how he marked down Quintana. Quintana is not in a bad shape after the climb in Vuelta Communidad Valenciana. Mind games from both :) Also, it gave Mollema some space which was also pointed out before going to Abu Dhabi. Nice to see that Alberto wasn't the one who always has to attack. He even mentioned that after finishing the race.

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
Fair enough. Still, overall, Contador is definitely among the top-5 climbers in the world. Top-3 on a good day, top-1 on an *really* good day! ;)
So finally the day has come when Contador fans bring down the height of the pedestal on which they put him on to normal human levels

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Just watch the rebroadcast of AbuDhabi. Lol.. i think contador is making sure that Quintana didn't win. :lol: Nice workout by Quintana accelerating several time. Contador is perfecting Valverde's tactic to wheelsucked until Quintana got bored. :lol: Still, sprint to the finish line, Quintana still tried to leave Contador.

He has looked stronger this year, compared to any point last year. For one thing, his acceleration at Ruta del Sol looked like Contador again. Last year, his kicks looked average, even in the instances where he got a gap. It wasn't a difficult Mtn, but looked quite promising and completely blew Valverde. What he needs now is to build up to where he doesn't blow up or let the others have a chance to recover. It was the first time since the 2014 Vuelta that his acceleration looked "lethal" again. Losing Riis at Tinkoff really seemed to have affected his preparation the last years. He is too old to be the climber he was in 2007, but we will have to see how good he can be at his age. I have more confidence in his trajectory and ability to peak at the right time this year.

TRENDING THREADS