• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1733 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LaFlorecita said:
Berto says his sensations were good, but the climb wasn't very hard and there was a headwind so he decided not to attack :)

Edit:

"I had good sensations, although the stage was relatively calm," explained Contador. "It is true that in the last two passes over La Molina they made a good rhythm on the climb, but it is not a very demanding climb, and in many places, there was a strong headwind, which made it very comfortable to be in the wheels.

"At the final, in the sprint, I tried to make a good finish, but I knew it was a complicated one for me. In addition, we did the last kilometers quite calm, and that makes it so that the explosive riders take air and can be faster than me."

"The team again was very good, impressive, being around me as always," said Contador. "With Jarlinson we wanted to put one more point of intensity, but there was a lot of headwind, and it was quite easy to go on the wheel. In the end, it did punish everyone's legs a little more, and that is also a goal."

[about stage 5] "If the profile corresponds to the reality, it seems that the last climb is really hard and will make differences," said Contador, then added: "But it's complicated because there are riders ahead with a lot of time. Now the important thing is to recover and think about tomorrow."

Pantano obviously is his number two. I hope he gets to connect as well with another high quality colleague, because Pantano won't be there for him all the time in July.

LaFlorecita said:
Berto says his sensations were good, but the climb wasn't very hard and there was a headwind so he decided not to attack :)

Edit:

"I had good sensations, although the stage was relatively calm," explained Contador. "It is true that in the last two passes over La Molina they made a good rhythm on the climb, but it is not a very demanding climb, and in many places, there was a strong headwind, which made it very comfortable to be in the wheels.

"At the final, in the sprint, I tried to make a good finish, but I knew it was a complicated one for me. In addition, we did the last kilometers quite calm, and that makes it so that the explosive riders take air and can be faster than me."

"The team again was very good, impressive, being around me as always," said Contador. "With Jarlinson we wanted to put one more point of intensity, but there was a lot of headwind, and it was quite easy to go on the wheel. In the end, it did punish everyone's legs a little more, and that is also a goal."

[about stage 5] "If the profile corresponds to the reality, it seems that the last climb is really hard and will make differences," said Contador, then added: "But it's complicated because there are riders ahead with a lot of time. Now the important thing is to recover and think about tomorrow."
I think he too, in hindsight, would have preferred Pantano to drill it in the end instead.

I can see Bertie dropping everyone on Friday except possibly Valverde. He is in great form, Froome is in yo yo form at best at this time of year, TJ will try and limit his losses, and Thomas won't be able to match the initial acceleration. I think he will eventually shake Valverde but probably not enough to take GC from either him or TJ.

Re:

Poursuivant said:
I can see Bertie dropping everyone on Friday except possibly Valverde. He is in great form, Froome is in yo yo form at best at this time of year, TJ will try and limit his losses, and Thomas won't be able to match the initial acceleration. I think he will eventually shake Valverde but probably not enough to take GC from either him or TJ.
I hope so. Normally he is on a slightly lower level here compared to PN or Pais Vasco, so it would be really nice if he could win a stage.

lenric said:
LaFlorecita said:

Edit:

Pantano obviously is his number two. I hope he gets to connect as well with another high quality colleague, because Pantano won't be there for him all the time in July.

If that were the case he wouldn't have him working so hard so far from the finish unless he thought he could thin out the bunch a bit more. Mollema obviously had an off day.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
It is interesting to see Contador with a season-long sidekick / right hand man who is actually a very strong, very useful climber and isn't keeping half an eye on his own chances. He hasn't had that very often in his career. His relationship with Pantano seems very strong, very quickly.
Agreed, but he needs another and he can't afford to use up Pantano too quickly just to distrupt the Sky/Movistar train. We'll see on Friday I guess...

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:
Trek made a wise Choice in hiring Pantano Just think without him where would Contador be

Probably quite lonely ! I have a feeling it might be the same in the Tour.

That's why he needs to connect as well with other colleagues, so that they feel the "need" to help him. Wanting to help your leader is a far stronger reason than having to do that because it is your job.

Contador, being introverted, needs another Mick Rogers.

Re: Re:

lenric said:
movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:
Trek made a wise Choice in hiring Pantano Just think without him where would Contador be

Probably quite lonely ! I have a feeling it might be the same in the Tour.

That's why he needs to connect as well with other colleagues, so that they feel the "need" to help him. Wanting to help your leader is a far stronger reason than having to do that because it is your job.

Contador, being introverted, needs another Mick Rogers.

No doubt Mick was a very good road captain and a valuable domestique for Contador. Probably the last quality one he had as he was also good at organizing the team and with years of experience to draw on. It's still early days for Pantano.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
It is interesting to see Contador with a season-long sidekick / right hand man who is actually a very strong, very useful climber and isn't keeping half an eye on his own chances. He hasn't had that very often in his career. His relationship with Pantano seems very strong, very quickly.

good thing is they both speak spanish. That should help with the communication.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Rogers was a pretty amazing road captain. Hopefully, with his career nearing it's end, Contie is somewhat mentoring Pantano with that same knowledge. He's been an amazing helper thus far, and can only improve.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
rune1107 said:
Pennino said:
Let's bring this home today. We all need the pistol shot.

Just a thought - does anyone think he'll avoid that celebration? Especially after the London attack. Could be a tad inappropriate.

Well if that's the case, he might as well change his racing style. People could just get offended by his way of harmful attacking either.

Pennino said:
rune1107 said:
Pennino said:
Let's bring this home today. We all need the pistol shot.

Just a thought - does anyone think he'll avoid that celebration? Especially after the London attack. Could be a tad inappropriate.

Well if that's the case, he might as well change his racing style. People could just get offended by his way of harmful attacking either.

Yeah well he talked about it after the Paris attacks, but i don't remember if he has done it after November 2015.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-could-drop-pistolero-salute-in-tour-de-france-after-paris-attacks/

14561311468969.jpg

TRENDING THREADS