• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1762 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

carolina said:
Lol... So many riders already won in the mountains with a specialized tarmac, using the weight argument makes no sense. It's only 400 g. That's less then a water bottle.
Exactly. It's utterly delusional to believe that Contador has been using decisively inferior equipment to his rivals for the past few seasons. A nice dig by Trek though at their big rival, and a nice way for Contador to justify to himself his complete failure in GTs last year.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
carolina said:
Lol... So many riders already won in the mountains with a specialized tarmac, using the weight argument makes no sense. It's only 400 g. That's less then a water bottle.
Exactly. It's utterly delusional to believe that Contador has been using decisively inferior equipment to his rivals for the past few seasons. A nice dig by Trek though at their big rival, and a nice way for Contador to justify to himself his complete failure in GTs last year.

I don't think that Contador will ever justify his incompetency (GT-wise) in 2016 using an excuse like that. But I believe many of his fans will.

Haters having a field day. If you dislike him and what he says so much, stay the hell away from this thread, it's better for your blood pressure and also for mine.

The Cycling Podcast actually mentioned that Faustino had many rows with Specialized in the past years, because he felt Alberto was competing on inferior material.

LaFlorecita said:
Haters having a field day. If you dislike him and what he says so much, stay the hell away from this thread, it's better for your blood pressure and also for mine.

The Cycling Podcast actually mentioned that Faustino had many rows with Specialized in the past years, because he felt Alberto was competing on inferior material.
But, but, but... Alberto told him to say that!

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Netserk said:
LaFlorecita said:

But, but, but... Alberto told him to say that!
Alberto asked him to have a fight with Specialized because he knew the Cycling Podcast would interview Faustino at some point in time and this would inevitably come up!

I don't know if it's what he says in this interview but I remember another one (I think a GCN interview) in which he also talked about how he is happy about his new bike since it can be crucial. However he didn't say anything like that this is the reason for his GT failure (which is implied by some here) but that the bike can make a difference in races which are decided by a few seconds, and since he has won and lost stage races by single digit seconds quite often in the last years he was happy to use a Trek bike now. Said differently he has become a fan of marginal gains.

Gigs_98 said:
I don't know if it's what he says in this interview but I remember another one (I think a GCN interview) in which he also talked about how he is happy about his new bike since it can be crucial. However he didn't say anything like that this is the reason for his GT failure (which is implied by some here) but that the bike can make a difference in races which are decided by a few seconds, and since he has won and lost stage races by single digit seconds quite often in the last years he was happy to use a Trek bike now. Said differently he has become a fan of marginal gains.
Let's not miss the bigger picture here. He is employed by Trek (in fact is the most high profile person associated with their brand), whose biggest rival as a company is Specialized. Of course he will be looking to promote Trek and have a dig at Specialized any chance he gets.

Also, ironically, he's lost nearly every race he's entered this season by single digit seconds.

DFA123 said:
Gigs_98 said:
Let's not miss the bigger picture here. He is employed by Trek (in fact is the most high profile person associated with their brand), whose biggest rival as a company is Specialized. Of course he will be looking to promote Trek and have a dig at Specialized any chance he gets.

Also, ironically, he's lost nearly every race he's entered this season by single digit seconds.
If only he had a Merida or a Canyon, those are slightly more stiff and aerodynamic than the top-model of Trek.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:

Hell no my dear Fleurtje. This is just exactly what we and Contador need. That bloody aggressiveness, with him or against him. War is on. For the sake of cycling and for the sake of the helluva legend that is Alberto goddamn Contador.

DFA123 said:
Gigs_98 said:

Maybe it's because he's a little bit older so doesn't have the stamina/strength like he used to have, blaming the bike is tosh imo.

TRENDING THREADS