• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1837 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Contador different gravy to Aru. We will see how Aru is when Froome decides to follow him. I was impressed with Aru the other day but he is a stage snatcher at this point. Lets see the minerals tomorrow

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

No_Balls said:
Jspear said:
LaFlorecita said:
I agree with others that I have this feeling something isn't quite right and that he's going to lose a lot of time on stage 9. From his interviews it sounds like he's already accepted he isn't going to win. Hope I'm wrong but if it's true hopefully he can help Aru win :)
Also after this weekend the team should decide what to do - still everything behind Alberto or each for their own?

Aru is a good pick to take up the mantle from AC once he retires. He's not quite as angelic when he climbs, buts he's got the guts and heart to attack.

Attacking with 1-3 km to go wont make you a Contador. As it is the only thing reminiscent of Alberto is that he wins stages and a GT here and there.

As for style, he is right there with Froome battling it out mano a mano looking the most awful on a bike. Good thing he got a nose job cause i suppose fellow riders wanted a piece of the oxygen aswell.

Aru will go up 10 levels now he has a medical complaint he's solved. Back to Contador talk only.

Bjarne Riis made a point about Contador not training correctly, because "his best weapon/tool to make a difference, is when he is standing on the pedals. Now he stands on the pedals while everyone else is sitting down. His power output when sitting down is not good enough" along those lines (not a precise quote). Besides he said that Contador 2017 isn't Contador 2009, as an answer to the presenter's hopeless question, just to provide some context.

What do you guys make of it? Because I don't know what to think, having Alberto's interviews and riding in mind...

Re:

Simurgh said:
Bjarne Riis made a point about Contador not training correctly, because "his best weapon/tool to make a difference, is when he is standing on the pedals. Now he stands on the pedals while everyone else is sitting down. His power output when sitting down is not good enough" along those lines (not a precise quote). Besides he said that Contador 2017 isn't Contador 2009, as an answer to the presenter's hopeless question, just to provide some context.

What do you guys make of it? Because I don't know what to think, having Alberto's interviews and riding in mind...

Seems like an assessment that's hard to argue with. Riis knows him very well, and I agree that he doesn't have the explosive attack that he used to. Whether that is because he is riding too much standing in the pedals, or simply because he lacks the power because of aging is hard to say

Re:

Simurgh said:

I got angry reading that :mad: I liked Bjarne but I hate how he makes it sound as if Berto is somehow at fault for not being as strong as in his best years, as if it's just a matter of not training correctly and age doesn't play a part at all :mad:

Re:

arvc40 said:
Contador different gravy to Aru. We will see how Aru is when Froome decides to follow him. I was impressed with Aru the other day but he is a stage snatcher at this point. Lets see the minerals tomorrow
It's not a matter of strength but a matter of panache. Yes Aru may not be as strong as Froome is now or as strong as Berto used to be but he has heaps of panache just like Berto! He is the one and true heir to his throne.

LaFlorecita said:
Simurgh said:

I got angry reading that :mad: I liked Bjarne but I hate how he makes it sound as if Berto is somehow at fault for not being as strong as in his best years, as if it's just a matter of not training correctly and age doesn't play a part at all :mad:

Of course age plays a part, but you cannot be sure if he is training wrong. I distinctly remember Riis' ability to change small things, like Kreuzigers position on the saddle, that made the riders better.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
It's not a matter of strength but a matter of panache. Yes Aru may not be as strong as Froome is now or as strong as Berto used to be but he has heaps of panache just like Berto! He is the one and true heir to his throne.
You are right, definitely my second favorite rider now.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
We all know that contador isn't no more capable of beating froome. But I was expecting that he was (at least) able to follow bardet. I'm hoping for rain tomorrow because contador is clearly suffering in these hot days

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:

Yes, I can understand your perspective, I feel the same way. All riders have a part to play in a race.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
We all know that contador isn't no more capable of beating froome. But I was expecting that he was (at least) able to follow bardet. I'm hoping for rain tomorrow because contador is clearly suffering in these hot days

Probably, tomorrow is at least better temperature wise. You are right, he should be the equal of Bardet (at least) just behind Froome.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

arvc40 said:
LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:

Yes, I can understand your perspective, I feel the same way. All riders have a part to play in a race.

I hope Froome does not stomp all the Panache out of everyone tomorrow.

rune1107 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Simurgh said:

Of course age plays a part, but you cannot be sure if he is training wrong. I distinctly remember Riis' ability to change small things, like Kreuzigers position on the saddle, that made the riders better.
And Bjarne has no idea if Berto is training incorrectly so he should STFU!! And me thinks he should watch some videos from Berto's best days, that'll show him Berto was out of the saddle a lot as well. If the issue as Bjarne says is that he does not have enough power while in the saddle well to me that does not sound like a training problem but a problem related to a physical decline!
Sorry but I'm really angry.... :mad:

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:

If I thought that I wouldn't bet on him !. Tmoz will decide.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
rune1107 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Simurgh said:

And Bjarne has no idea if Berto is training incorrectly so he should STFU!! And me thinks he should watch some videos from Berto's best days, that'll show him Berto was out of the saddle a lot as well. If the issue as Bjarne says is that he does not have enough power while in the saddle well to me that does not sound like a training problem but a problem related to a physical decline!
Sorry but I'm really angry.... :mad:

Dont give it a second thought. There all *** artists anyway.

LaFlorecita said:
Simurgh said:

Did you see it yourself, because you are reading a lot into it as if you knew the tone it was said with.

Re:

Simurgh said:

Tinkoff was an idiot for getting rid of Riis.

Netserk said:
LaFlorecita said:
Simurgh said:

Did you see it yourself, because you are reading a lot into it as if you knew the tone it was said with.
How should I have seen something that was shown on Danish TV? Anyway have read the accounts of several people so I think I know what he said and what he implied.

frisenfruitig said:
Climber123 said:
I am just angry at all this negativity. Need Bertie to proof us all wrong tomorrow. Enough is enough, he was excellent in spring I know he has it in him.

I mean, he was in good shape but the best Contador wouldn't lose P-N to Henao would he? And now he's up against guys that are even a level above that.

He gained a lot of time on Henao. It was just unfortunate he lost over 1 minute in the crosswinds.
FWIW the best Contador lost Paris-Nice to LL Sanchez.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
frisenfruitig said:
Climber123 said:
I am just angry at all this negativity. Need Bertie to proof us all wrong tomorrow. Enough is enough, he was excellent in spring I know he has it in him.

I mean, he was in good shape but the best Contador wouldn't lose P-N to Henao would he? And now he's up against guys that are even a level above that.

He gained a lot of time on Henao. It was just unfortunate he lost over 1 minute in the crosswinds.
He was very poor in catalunya and pais vasco

May 20, 2015
Visit site

portugal11 said:
LaFlorecita said:
frisenfruitig said:
Climber123 said:

He was very poor in catalunya and pais vasco

He wasn't, Valverde was phenomenal.

TRENDING THREADS