• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1889 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
Climber123 said:
arvc40 said:
Podium against Froome @ Tour is bigger than Giro title IMO. Best of the best. Cream of the crop. Cherry on top.

No way a Tour podium is better than a Giro win. It's not even comparable in status.

IMO Tour podium trumps it. Uran and Bardet will both target Tour next year, same reason. Froome has shown zero interest in Giro. As far as winning is concerned any rider would swap a Giro/Spain for a Tour
Of course any rider would swap a Giro or Vuelta win for a Tour win. No one would swap a Giro or Vuelta win for a Tour podium.

Tour 1st - Giro 1st - Tour 2nd - Vuelta 1st - Tour 3rd - Giro 2nd - Giro 3rd - Vuelta 2nd - Vuelta 3rd

Based on the fact that nobody targets the Vuelta. And I would love Contador to win the upcoming Vuelta, but a close 2nd to Froome in this Tour would be better IMO.

[/quote]
Fortunately Alberto is still the one who decides because he knows what's best for him.[/quote]

Absolutely !. He wouldn't listen to anybody posting here for 1 second, certainly hope not ![/quote]

I wonder if he is a regular reader of this thread? :lol:[/quote]
I hope not. If this thread makes me feel depressed most of the time I open it, I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to him.[/quote]
Contrary to us, he knows a lot more about himself than we do.

I imagine there would be a combination of giggles, facepalms and heartwarming if he read it.

Except if he starts on page 1, he'd find that weird Flo. He would find that weird. Sorry to tell you that :p[/quote]

I just assumed that Alberto was an avid reader.

I was wondering where he hides his "LaFlorecita" tattoo :D

Red Rick said:
Carols said:
Red Rick said:
Carols said:
I just Really hate to see all of you youngsters delude yourselves. He showed glimmers of his class in this race, it's called back class, and rode a good final ITT while finishing 3rd and 6th on 2 stages and 9th overall. I surely would like to see him win one final GT before he hangs up the bike. But your expectations are Very High.

Has he signed a contract for 2018?
I think people are mostly discussing an optimal route toward 2018, and most want to see him on good form in a GT one last time. I don't think people are necessarily expecting a win.

That said, I suffered through supporting Andy Murray in 5 Aussie open finals, I can handle this dammit

The optimal way for him to go out with a win IMO is to rest now, build to the Giro. If he wins it, just do a grand farewell ride around Spain in the Vuelta with no pressure. If he loses the Giro, well he has one more chance.

But Alberto will decide if he feels well enough now to ride this years Vuelta. I just pray he doesn't ride the Tour next year, it has never been good for him for 7 years now.
I'm pretty sure he's done with the Tour. He made his last kamikaze move, showed a lot of guts and panache throughout the race, and finished with a great ITT. He basically tore the GC opposition bar Froome a new one. I think like to think that he showed in the Tour that if he doesn't crash he's still a force to be reckoned with. It is a small thing, but it seems a lot better than just fading horribly toward the end and any small win for the mind, heart or ego is of some consolation I hope.

It's been a bit of a mental ride for fans the last 2 years. I know it has been for me. In 2014 he was insane. Then in 2015 there were crashes and spring illness, and a Giro with crashes, followed by a Tour-ridden crash, and he still top 5'd. In 2015 there were obvious excuses as to why he didn't perform.

Then last year, he's good in the spring, is amazing in PV, wins the DL prologue and crashes out of the Tour again. That Vuelta was painful, but yet again there were crashes, and it was quite obvious this couldn't have been the best he had left to give.

Then 2017 rolls around. Again he's up there in the spring, but the sharpness to make the difference when it matters seems to have faded when you look back through the years.

Last year I had hopes he could win the Tour and was quite devastated when he crashed and dropped out. The Vuelta was a disappointment, but at least he decided the race and I could give myself some hope for 2017. I do have to say that I hadn't stopped hoping for a win but that losses, especially respactable losses, haven't been as hard for me to deal with as a fan. The most frustrating thing has been that there hasn't been any pay off this year in terms of wins, and that he keeps crashing in GTs to the extent that we have to keep guessing what the best is that Alberto Contador can do as he's closing in on his 35th birthday.

One last thing that makes it easy to say that he's past it, is that competition across all stage races has gotten a lot denser. Top performances haven't gotten better than 2012-2015, and the Tour hasn't seen any out of this world performances since 2015, but it would seem that the amount of riders capable of a level just below that has increased. That partially explains why a bad GT means getting 9th rather than 5th, like it might have been a while ago.

Honestly, the most important thing is that I see Contador retiring happily. If he seems at peace with how his last few years in the peloton ended up, or with how he finished, that would help. Seeing favorite athletes not bitter post retirement is a great thing, no matter how frustrating it was to support them toward the end.

Great post and analysis.

Maybe this is strange, but I think that this 9th place Tour brings with it better memories than 2013 and 2015. Nothing in those Tours compares to the stage to Foix, nor to his attack on CDF (the long range attack that he made in 2015 was hauled in within about 5 kms). And this ITT was almost as good as his 2nd place effort in 2013.

I hope for AC to ride the Vuelta, particularly as in Australia we have full coverage of the race, yet none now for the Giro :mad:

But I don't know what is best for him. To rest for the Giro could be good, but by then he is also many more months older, and right NOW his legs seem pretty good. Certainly a podium appears likely.

gregrowlerson said:
LaFlorecita said:
arvc40 said:
Climber123 said:
arvc40 said:
Podium against Froome @ Tour is bigger than Giro title IMO. Best of the best. Cream of the crop. Cherry on top.

No way a Tour podium is better than a Giro win. It's not even comparable in status.

IMO Tour podium trumps it. Uran and Bardet will both target Tour next year, same reason. Froome has shown zero interest in Giro. As far as winning is concerned any rider would swap a Giro/Spain for a Tour
Of course any rider would swap a Giro or Vuelta win for a Tour win. No one would swap a Giro or Vuelta win for a Tour podium.

Tour 1st - Giro 1st - Tour 2nd - Vuelta 1st - Tour 3rd - Giro 2nd - Giro 3rd - Vuelta 2nd - Vuelta 3rd

Based on the fact that nobody targets the Vuelta. And I would love Contador to win the upcoming Vuelta, but a close 2nd to Froome in this Tour would be better IMO.

You're entitled to your opinion but I suggest you ask Vino or any other rider whose sole GT win was the Vuelta. My $ say they prefer the Win to a Tour podium. After all they are a GT Winner!

I also think if you were to ask Alberto he'd be much happier with a 8th (10th GT) win then a Tour 2nd. 2nd or 10th doesn't matter to him.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/tour-de-francia/230717-td1-dep-tour/4128798/the
He would like to go to the Vuelta but the decision isn't just up to him

It would be the right decision in my opinion. He is finishing the Tour on the up and should start Vuelta with good form and as a front-runner. The only concern would be fatigue but then again it seems less of a factor than say doing Giro/Tour double. Quintana did magnificent at the Vuelta last year after a middling Tour (with a strong finish).

LaFlorecita said:
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/tour-de-francia/230717-td1-dep-tour/4128798/

OH!!!! If he feels strong enough to go I hope they let him! Suddenly my heart rate went up LOL!

Who else on the team would be leading if he doesn't go? Mollema has to be tired by now after the Giro and Tour.

LaFlorecita said:
They should definitely let him go; he'd have a chance of a podium, definitely a chance of a stage win with so many MTFs and without all the pressure and stress that goes with the Tour.

Also, who else will Trek send? Their available squad is looking a bit thin right now.

LaFlorecita said:
Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:

OH!!!! If he feels strong enough to go I hope they let him! Suddenly my heart rate went up LOL!
:p :p :p
I agree, if he feels strong, he should go. If not, it would be foolish to risk his 2018 season.
Yeah, I think he would actually be my second biggest favorite for the Vuelta win.

Re:

Matteo. said:
I hope he knows what he does. At 35 years of playing, recovering some effort is not simple.
I think even if he ends up struggling physically he can still stage hunt, which could be more fun for him anyway and wouldn't need anywhere near as much recovery as going for the GC. And, with the Vuelta route, he's probably Trek's best chance of a stage win as well, at least unless Pantano can find some form.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Suddenly I get the dreadful feeling he is going to retire at the end of the season. :(
"This Tour has had an influence on my decisions about the future. In a maximum of ten days I will say what I will do"

It's his decision, I will be sad, but if he thinks this is the time then so be it. He has Nothing to Prove! If this is his last season I sure hope he rides the Vuelta though!!!!

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Suddenly I get the dreadful feeling he is going to retire at the end of the season. :(
"This Tour has had an influence on my decisions about the future. In a maximum of ten days I will say what I will do"
Maybe it has something to do with San Sebastian. I notice he is on the attend list at steephill.tv

And the race is in a week, close to the ten days. I know most like to go out a winner ... Contador I can only suspect. If he wins, and he is inclined to retire, that might be the place.

Nacho said:
LaFlorecita said:
Maybe it has something to do with San Sebastian. I notice he is on the attend list at steephill.tv

And the race is in a week, close to the ten days. I know most like to go out a winner ... Contador I can only suspect. If he wins, and he is inclined to retire, that might be the place.
He also said he won't ride San Sebastian

LaFlorecita said:
Nacho said:
LaFlorecita said:

He also said he won't ride San Sebastian
LOL!

Scratch that then!

Carols said:
LaFlorecita said:

It's his decision, I will be sad, but if he thinks this is the time then so be it. He has Nothing to Prove! If this is his last season I sure hope he rides the Vuelta though!!!!

I feel much the same. Indeed, I'm relaxed about it - nothing he does will change anything - if he's happy and he's enjoying himself, then long may he ride. But in some ways, it'll be a relief - I have been falling out of love with the sport during the last 7 years, and am pretty sure the day he retires is the day I'll stop watching it. Or at least, watching it with a real investment in the outcome.