• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1899 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have come to like Alberto over the past few years - he showed his human side when things did not go to plan, but he never complained, no excuses, and fronted up again the next day. Even when all seemed lost, he was still willing to give it a go with an attack that if successful would have turned things upside down.

It's appropriate that the finale will be in his home race.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see if his retirement also causes the retirement of LaFlorecita from the forums (after 30000 is passed of course), like the 2015 retirement of Cadel Evans was followed with that of auscyclefan94 a few months later (his last post was on 26 Jul 2015).

I greatly enjoyed him from 2007 until 2011. He was my favorite rider, especially after telling Armstrong to *** off in 2009 and how he made everyone else in that period (well, apart from Schleck, but still) look like mediocre riders.

However, my feelings towards him completely changed in 2012 after he was officially declared as a doper. Though no longer my favorite rider, I still got happy when I saw him performing and I was mad at how he had to retire from 2014's Tour. He had a good Vuelta, but somehow it felt as a swan song.

About this... I can only say *** finally. He hasn't been performing all that well when everyone else's on their peak, or close to that, over the last few years. He keeps falling a huge amount of times and he's been terribly lucky not to be seriously harmed for life and now he can enjoy his life in a different way... certainly, a less stressful one. Maybe with a couple of kids, if that's his and his wife's wish.

The end of his era as a GT mammoth was in 2011 with a few glimpses of the former Contador after that, but he'll still be sorely missed mainly because of what he used to do on the bike until 2011 and all the expectations that he could still perform close to that level.

Adiós campeón.

Yingge said:
I have come to like Alberto over the past few years - he showed his human side when things did not go to plan, but he never complained, no excuses, and fronted up again the next day. Even when all seemed lost, he was still willing to give it a go with an attack that if successful would have turned things upside down.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see if his retirement also causes the retirement of LaFlorecita from the forums (after 30000 is passed of course), like the 2015 retirement of Cadel Evans was followed with that of auscyclefan94 a few months later (his last post was on 26 Jul 2015).

I believe LaFlorecita has grown from where she was at the start of her forum entry to what she is now. She will not be disappearing. With Auscyclefan94, as I understand it his studies intensified but with this I may be in agreement, he seems to have been primarily focused on Cadel Evans and only on very rare occasions have I seen him return to the cn forums since Evans' retirment. LaFloricita while a huge Contador fan is also a fan of the sport, IMO.

Angliru said:
Yingge said:

I believe LaFlorecita has grown from where she was at the start of her forum entry to what she is now. She will not be disappearing. With Auscyclefan94, as I understand it his studies intensified but with this I may be in agreement, he seems to have been primarily focused on Cadel Evans and only on very rare occasions have I seen him return to the cn forums since Evans' retirment. LaFloricita while a huge Contador fan is also a fan of the sport, IMO.

Have not seen ACF on here for a long time. I remember the battles re Evans and Contador from years back. All good fun.

movingtarget said:
Angliru said:
Yingge said:

Have not seen ACF on here for a long time. I remember the battles re Evans and Contador from years back. All good fun.

Me too. I thought I had seen a post of his in the past year or two but it likely has been longer. Yes it was good fun. :)

Re:

lenric said:
I greatly enjoyed him from 2007 until 2011. He was my favorite rider, especially after telling Armstrong to **** off in 2009 and how he made everyone else in that period (well, apart from Schleck, but still) look like mediocre riders.

However, my feelings towards him completely changed in 2012 after he was officially declared as a doper. Though no longer my favorite rider, I still got happy when I saw him performing and I was mad at how he had to retire from 2014's Tour. He had a good Vuelta, but somehow it felt as a swan song.

About this... I can only say **** finally. He hasn't been performing all that well when everyone else's on their peak, or close to that, over the last few years. He keeps falling a huge amount of times and he's been terribly lucky not to be seriously harmed for life and now he can enjoy his life in a different way... certainly, a less stressful one. Maybe with a couple of kids, if that's his and his wife's wish.

The end of his era as a GT mammoth was in 2011 with a few glimpses of the former Contador after that, but he'll still be sorely missed mainly because of what he used to do on the bike until 2011 and all the expectations that he could still perform close to that level.

Adiós campeón.
It's the opposite for me. 2012 was the year I started loving Alberto's racing. I think he became a much more entertaining rider, after he stopped dominating, because he still had that attacking instinct, but he had to fuse this attacking instinct with a more brave racing strategy to overcome his opponents. For this reason, I was also a big fan of Alberto in his very young days, where he often attacked from far out and joined breakaways.

Anyway, sad news. It's going to be weird to watch the stage races next year without Alberto (just like it was watching the classics this year without Fabian).

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Well, this news is a terrible start to the week. Classy rider, brimming with panache. As another poster mentioned, maybe it is brinkmanship though. Hopefully.

I learned the news an hour ago, and is a bittersweet one, because as much as we the fans want him around for another year- I also believe his time has come to stop his great career with grace. I started following Alberto back in 2005, and from then on, he's been my favorite rider above others that I admire. He's simply the best rider of his generation & among the best of the best in cycling history.

Gracias Alberto por esas inolvidables gestas ciclistas!!!
Gracias Alberto
Gracias

My first sighting of Alberto was during one of his first participations in Paris-Nice and he was on the attack. Coincidentally, he was attacking I believe on a descent, accelerating out of the saddle on a corner, pedaling furiously and clipped out of his pedal causing him to weave precariously close to a stone wall! He regained his balance and control and continued on. I say coincidentally because of all the issues he's had with crashes in the final years of his storied career. His attack brought excitement to the stage and although it didn't lead to a stage win, it did open my eyes to this young rider. His out-of-the-saddle style reminded me of one of my other favorites, Iban Mayo, and he would go on the do all the things that the promise and potential that Iban had but never brought to fruition.

Just a great, stylish, entertaining champion of the sport. Riders like Alberto are few and far between.

Edit: Corrected multiple typos. :(

Wow...bummer!...really thought he might ride the Giro next year. Well, I'm definitely going to do my best to enjoy this Vuelta. I'll try not to set my hopes to high and just enjoy watching him race one last time. I started watching cycling in 2005 (a nominal july fan), but AC was the first rider I really really liked. Watching him light up a race was just awesome! I'm sure he'll pick his stages this Vuelta and put on some great shows. It will be bitter sweet for me. I love watching him race, but I know he's been at it for a while and deserves to retire. If this is really what he wants, then I'm happy for him.

Pretty sad but I am not altogether surprised. There will be a big hole in cycling; I started watching again after the Lance years basically because of Alberto. Going to feel very strange to watch a race and not see that wonderfully fluid style weaving through the peloton.

I hope he has a fantastic Vuelta, and goes out on a high, having shown us the best of what he has brought to the sport. No crashes, no bad luck, just lots of style, guts and panache. He deserves a good exit.

Glad I'm going to Rouleur now.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Cycling won't be the same.
Probably retirement is a good decision for himself and his family (and that's all that really matters). But selfishly as a fan, I wish it weren't happening yet.

Hoping he gets to lift his arms one last time at the Vuelta somewhere.

Re:

Angliru said:
My first sighting of Alberto was during one of his first participations in Paris-Nice and he was on the attack. Coincidentally, he was attacking I believe on a descent, accelerating out of the saddle on a corner, pedaling furiously and clipped out of his pedal causing him to weave precariously close to a stone wall! He regained his balance and control and continued on. I say coincidentally because of all the issues he's had with crashes in the final years of his storied career. His attack brought excitement to the stage and although it didn't lead to a stage win, it did open my eyes to this young rider. His out-of-the-saddle style reminded me of one of my other favorites, Iban Mayo, and he would go on the do all the things that the promise and potential that Iban had but never brought to fruition.

Just a great, stylish, entertaining champion of the sport. Riders like Alberto are few and far between.

That was the day I became a fan. 2005 Paris Nice

Re: Re:

perico said:
Angliru said:

That was the day I became a fan. 2005 Paris Nice

Thanks! I couldn't remember the exact year. :)

TRENDING THREADS