• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1970 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Carols said:
No_Balls said:
On the same note as Lauras article. I like this one:

Cycling can be a monotonous sport, and the best rider in the world today is a robotic dude who stares at a power meter. Contador’s dominant career is an affront to the idea that steady, machinelike riding is the only way to be a winning cyclist. He spent his entire career bobbing and weaving above his handlebars, ripping away from his opponents with some of the most vicious and sudden attacks the sport has ever known, and punishing those who would try to keep pace with him. He’s a true bike racer, a risk taking madman in a sport that’s growing more staid. Cycling won’t be the same..

+100

Sigh, the cycling I've known and loved for decades may have died on Sunday.

But there is hope, Nibali is no robot and a youngster with 'the goods' may show up :).
I think the same too :(

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Scarponi said:
I would have loved to have seen Contador attack two mountains out in the late 2000s form. Seems most of them were when he just missed that last little %. Could have been epic
Mate, we still had 2007 galibier, that stage in 2009 paris nice when he cracked completly, his final stage in 2007 paris nice was really nice and 2009 grand bornand.

Already out on the bike again :p
DJngefjWAAEZL9j.jpg

I feel so sad. I guess that`s because when i watched the 2015 giro I could never imagine that would be his last GT win. He had so many 2nd places this year and the tour was really depressing. We are roughly the same age and I have been following him from the start and an era is over. In one way you felt like it was gonna go on forever. But now we are old.

Wow did`t know I would feel this way. My eyes teared up today when I went for a ride. Oh well the guy is multi millionaire but man hermano has got some panache! Gracias Alberto!

Maybe a break from watching cycling for a while is good.

Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
Scarponi said:
I would have loved to have seen Contador attack two mountains out in the late 2000s form. Seems most of them were when he just missed that last little %. Could have been epic
Mate, we still had 2007 galibier, that stage in 2009 paris nice when he cracked completly, his final stage in 2007 paris nice was really nice and 2009 grand bornand.

No no I understand I'm
Just dreaming hypotheticals. He did Thai much damage in a reduced form. Alberto full flight 50km out on in peak form would have been even beyond Pantani level. I guess if he failed Evans would have punished him in the TT in just thinking purely dream mode

Re:

telencefalus said:
Contador a champion from very Young age , he beat also a stroke , TRUE LEGEND

I don't think he had a stroke, instead seizures from the cavernoma. Brain surgery was a big thing to come back from and build his awesome palmares and legacy. It gave him a different perspective than most of us; facing death at age 22 makes every day even more precious I'd think!

Re: Re:

Carols said:
telencefalus said:
Contador a champion from very Young age , he beat also a stroke , TRUE LEGEND

I don't think he had a stroke, instead seizures from the cavernoma. Brain surgery was a big thing to come back from and build his awesome palmares and legacy. It gave him a different perspective than most of us; facing death at age 22 makes every day even more precious I'd think!

I believe he did have a haemorrhagic stroke - I read they removed blood clots from his brain during the surgery for the cavernoma. Any which way, brain surgery and ongoing epilepsy no small thing to get over.

I've always admired his courage and mental strength, and I guess facing a decision to have surgery which risks your life, with potential for serious disability, is the ultimate test of one's courage and commitment to making the live you want.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts