• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1979 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

hrotha said:
It boggles the mind that anyone can compare the early 90s, with frequent long-range attacks by the contenders on all kinds of terrain, with the last few years with their waiting game until 3-1 km to go. Are you confusing "close race" with "fun race" perhaps?

It's just a Sky fan wiping his soiled shoes on the mat of the Contador thread. Nothing new. All that Sky does is grand, exciting and great for the sport. Any proposals to minimize their dominance and bring entertainment to the Tour is simply bad news. Riders that don't go along with the current gc rider program of being happy with their lot in life as runner ups are foolish for trying, obsolete and destined be seen as unaccepted rascals. How dare they not settle in and just follow the train up the mountains?

How can we not see this all as entertainment? ;)

samhocking said:
Some of the dullest Tour years were Indurain's. No power meters or race radios then, simply ride to threshold up the mountains and smash the TTs. Likewise half of Armstrong's wins were without radio and no power meters and almost as dull too with a team throttling attacks riding to perceived threshold and HR, but at least he won a couple of stages unlike Indurain. If Indurain and also Armstrong's team can climb to threshold to kill the race without power and race radio, perhaps Bertie simply doesn't want to accept his time has passed and his way of racing more for fans entertainment than to increase your chance of winning have come to an end. It's bad news for the fans, but how much of professional sport should be about entertainment and how much about winning?

Also, the study by Gaël Guegan concluded using race radio actually rewards the brave and does not correlate with the outcome of a race in a negative way.
Of course, he is bitter, delusional or whatever, in the eyes of some Sky fans at least. :rolleyes:
Or, he knows better than most how to ride on feeling and how it makes races more interesting, and has some ideas that could be worth considering. Just because there's no guarantee they'll work, we should not try at all?

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Contador is like those retired politicians, the moment they step out of office they come up with all those great policy ideas.

Then of course he hasn't been in office for a good 8 years. No wonder he wants to ban powermeters, for him they are the polling results of the Clinton campaign team, running around telling everyone "the numbers are higher than ever" and come November uh July he's hopelessly behind.

The technology won't be going anywhere, if anything it will increase. Riders have become too used to race radio now and they think it's better for safety. See how much difference 8 man teams make. With the 8 men Sky select probably not a lot. It will only matter if the teams lose riders to injury or illness. I think the ship called Power Meters sailed long ago but the salary cap idea is not a bad one. It works okay in other sports.

Re:

movingtarget said:
The technology won't be going anywhere, if anything it will increase. Riders have become too used to race radio now and they think it's better for safety. See how much difference 8 man teams make. With the 8 men Sky select probably not a lot. It will only matter if the teams lose riders to injury or illness. I think the ship called Power Meters sailed long ago but the salary cap idea is not a bad one. It works okay in other sports.

Where? In the US the 3 Major sports are still ruled by "Super Teams" You can pick the playoff teams before the season starts with remarkable accuracy. there is no parity in any of the Sports. One or 2 very good teams with a lot of mediocrity. This in leagues with a financial model that makes caps feasible.

Re: Re:

cantpedal said:
movingtarget said:

Where? In the US the 3 Major sports are still ruled by "Super Teams" You can pick the playoff teams before the season starts with remarkable accuracy. there is no parity in any of the Sports. One or 2 very good teams with a lot of mediocrity. This in leagues with a financial model that makes caps feasible.

A team like Leicester can win the EPL ? Of course teams that can sign talent at a young age and retain that talent has an advantage but a draft where the worst team has first pick of the best young players is quite fair but of course good young sportsmen don't always make it as pros even in cycling. I still think a salary cap is the most practical of Contador's ideas and most realistic. Great coaches also make a difference. Great organizations are not just about the players. Many people hate Sky but many other teams have tried to follow their ideas re training etc....

cantpedal said:
movingtarget said:

The mediocrity is due in large part to mismanagement and chemistry issues. Teams I media meccas like New York and Los Angeles with high payrolls but underachieving teams is often the norm. In basketball stability, astute talent scouting combined with solid management and coaching can make small market teams like Oklahoma City and San Antonio consistently out perform other teams.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

hazaran said:
Contador is like those retired politicians, the moment they step out of office they come up with all those great policy ideas.

Then of course he hasn't been in office for a good 8 years. No wonder he wants to ban powermeters, for him they are the polling results of the Clinton campaign team, running around telling everyone "the numbers are higher than ever" and come November uh July he's hopelessly behind.

Contador has mentioned this as long as I can remember.

Re:

hazaran said:

He's mentioned the unwanted effect power meters have on racing many times. Also, in case you misunderstood, he doesn't want them banned, he wants them banned in racing, which means they would still be used in training.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
If I remember correctly, Armstrong also only didn't win a couple of stages. The guy won 5 stages in 2004 and has at least 10 stage wins, Id assume, that are not time trials. Armstrong was by no means boring. Froome is.

Contador took part in 15 GT: 9 individual stage victories (incl 1 ITT wins)

Froome.. also 15 GT: 11 ind stage victories (incl 2 ITT wins)

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Valv.Piti said:
If I remember correctly, Armstrong also only didn't win a couple of stages. The guy won 5 stages in 2004 and has at least 10 stage wins, Id assume, that are not time trials. Armstrong was by no means boring. Froome is.

What's the point?!

LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Valv.Piti said:

What's the point?!
No point La Flo, it's pure jealousy, the great one has retired with 9 GT's under his belt and the Sky/Froome fanatics just can't handle that fact or let it go. I actually find it really kind of amusing they care so much about Contador they feel they have to continue to try and down him. even in his retirement. Bless them;)

LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Valv.Piti said:

What's the point?!
Not to mention that those stats are mostly wrong.
Froome has 12 GT stage wins and 4 of them are ITT/MTT.
Contador has 9 (11) GT stage wins and 8 (9) of them are ITT/MTT. (Depends on if you think he is the winner of Etna and Nevegal MTT. I think he is but posted both for objectivity.)

samhocking said:
Some of the dullest Tour years were Indurain's. No power meters or race radios then, simply ride to threshold up the mountains and smash the TTs. Likewise half of Armstrong's wins were without radio and no power meters and almost as dull too with a team throttling attacks riding to perceived threshold and HR, but at least he won a couple of stages unlike Indurain. If Indurain and also Armstrong's team can climb to threshold to kill the race without power and race radio, perhaps Bertie simply doesn't want to accept his time has passed and his way of racing more for fans entertainment than to increase your chance of winning have come to an end. It's bad news for the fans, but how much of professional sport should be about entertainment and how much about winning?

Also, the study by Gaël Guegan concluded using race radio actually rewards the brave and does not correlate with the outcome of a race in a negative way.
This post is so wrong on many levels.
Also people watch sports to be entertained. Why should I watch sth that doesn't entertain me?

ferryman said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Valv.Piti said:

What's the point?!
No point La Flo, it's pure jealousy, the great one has retired with 9 GT's under his belt and the Sky/Froome fanatics just can't handle that fact or let it go. I actually find it really kind of amusing they care so much about Contador they feel they have to continue to try and down him. even in his retirement. Bless them;)
Even now they have to kick him and his fans. Sad :)

ferryman said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Valv.Piti said:

What's the point?!

Aye thats whit it is....Pfft Fifers

rick james said:
ferryman said:
LaFlorecita said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Valv.Piti said:

What's the point?!

Aye thats whit it is....Pfft Fifers

A lot of fans from both sides seem to feel the need to drag the other rider down for some odd reason. This seems to aggravate the tendency to assume every post is an attack on his or her favorite rider. For me a rider is judged on the strength of his competition so it's all counter productive.

TRENDING THREADS