• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 2014 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I didn't want to deprive anyone of the joy of googling "Contador" and seeing the news of his triumph but...
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alberto-contador-sets-new-everesting-record/

Says he was doing it as a test of his company's bike and he specifically set up the parameters of the ride around that test. 1km repeats of a 12% average grade, hit a high speed of close to 60mph / 100 kmh so was absolutely flying. Get the man back in the peloton!
Great way to advertise the bike!

Yes, riding any climb 78 times would do my head in. But congrats to a real champion putting all these other Everesting wannabees in their place. But looking at the pictures Alberto is a lot heavier than when he was riding as a pro so that makes it even more impressive.
Yeah he is certainly heavier than when he was pro but he looks to have slimmed down a bit in recent months. Prepping for the record attempt maybe :p

Lol.

Bigger salt mine than me when we lost the WC final
Interesting because Contador is only 3 years older than Gaimon, but Gaimon doesn’t seem compelled to “go away.” I get that he was joking about Valverde, Contador, Froome, Nibali being giants crowding others out. Overall a decent video he posted. Surprised he seemed to think Contador won the tour in 2015 and was doing 7watts/kg. As far as I know, neither of those things are true. Contador winning climbing performances I believe were in line with Froome, Quintana, Nibali.

Interesting because Contador is only 3 years older than Gaimon, but Gaimon doesn’t seem compelled to “go away.” I get that he was joking about Valverde, Contador, Froome, Nibali being giants crowding others out. Overall a decent video he posted. Surprised he seemed to think Contador won the tour in 2015 and was doing 7watts/kg. As far as I know, neither of those things are true. Contador winning climbing performances I believe were in line with Froome, Quintana, Nibali.
He posted his 20 minute power for the 2014 tour some years ago. It was about 7 W/kg I believe. That must be what Gaimon was talking about.

Reactions: Red Rick
I think someone ran the data like 5 years ago and found Contador was fastest, but mostly on shorter climbs, with especially Nibs leaning much more to longer climbs. Froome fell somewhere inbetween.

It's also not like they were different stratosphere.

Reactions: Cookster15
Yeah that is just insane to think about. I remember back in the day running cross country and doing 8-12 400m repeats and that felt like a lot. Mentally gearing up to attack a mountain 78 times is unfathomable.
Unfathomable is descending 78 times in a lactic fog without crashing! That's something rare.
By the way...400m repeats on the track will either break your will or make you a good pursuiter. We had coaches that leaned toward Eastern block methods: more is better.
I prefer cycling to running any distance...even two strides worth.

Reactions: LaFlorecita

TRENDING THREADS