• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 2021 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Surely a second-hand car would be cheaper than 30k, though I must admit I don't know what car prices are like in your country.

Are Kometa going to use these bikes now?

For the car we want when we replace our Monte Carlo SS, the used cars are still around 20,000 to 25,000 that include the package and they have way too many miles to even think about paying that much. May as well pay the extra for a brand new one. To replace the Monte a requirement is the new car must be either a muscle car or a sports car. Well you can't touch a new Corvette for under 50,000 and you don't want a used one that has a fiberglass body. The older used 'Vettes can be more expensive. At that point may as well look at a new Ferrari. Those are entry level sports cars. Muscle cars basically I have a choice of a Mustang, a Camero, or a Challenger. The Challenger is the one that has the interior space the Monte has. The other two are smaller. Yes, I have expensive taste when it comes cars. So the answer is yes you can get new cars for less than 30K, but not what I want.

I'd guess Komta is and will use these bikes.

Reactions: bob.a.feet
For the car we want when we replace our Monte Carlo SS, the used cars are still around 20,000 to 25,000 that include the package and they have way too many miles to even think about paying that much. May as well pay the extra for a brand new one. To replace the Monte a requirement is the new car must be either a muscle car or a sports car. Well you can't touch a new Corvette for under 50,000 and you don't want a used one that has a fiberglass body. The older used 'Vettes can be more expensive. At that point may as well look at a new Ferrari. Those are entry level sports cars. Muscle cars basically I have a choice of a Mustang, a Camero, or a Challenger. The Challenger is the one that has the interior space the Monte has. The other two are smaller. Yes, I have expensive taste when it comes cars. So the answer is yes you can get new cars for less than 30K, but not what I want.

I'd guess Komta is and will use these bikes.
Ok fair enough if you actually have an interest in cars it's understandable.

Reactions: Koronin
Hadn't seen their TT bike yet. Could also be a prototype.

120262099_671408760161196_8342271233481186757_n.jpg

Sep 30, 2020
Visit site
Just had a crazy idea ;-)
What if Contadors Kometa team, With the new sponsor EOLO, join forces with the late NTT, and get to World Tour level. Maybe sponsored by Contador's new Bike line.
Riis At NTT has at good history with both Contador and Basso ;-)

And takes on that posibillity ????

Carsten

What if Contadors Kometa team, With the new sponsor EOLO, join forces with the late NTT, and get to World Tour level. Maybe sponsored by Contador's new Bike line.

Carsten

Interesting thought. Not sure if they have the sponsorship funding to fund a WT team currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaFlorecita

Carsten
That is for sure crazy! I never considered that option.
I hope the team will keep its identity. And the current sponsors provide nowhere near enough budget to fund a World Tour team...

Most likely explanation is that they just listed one (sponsor) name for each team, after all Tinkoff was the same team as Saxo Bank. Liberty Seguros isn't mentioned either but ONCE is. But let us believe he still holds a grudge vs Tinkov :p
But if Alberto had a grudge, Oleg would have one and he hasn't made any outrageous tweets about Alberto in the last 5 minutes.

Brb gotta actually verify this

Last edited:
And yet Astana is there despite it being Discovery in another name.

But I am probably overthinking it and some intern pressed for time and with little idea of cycling teams just slapped it all together
It's literally the list of teams off his Wiki page.

The Discovery team did technically fold after 2007, and officially the Astana team that everyone moved to lock stock and barrel for 2008 was the same Astana team that was founded for the '07 season.

Reactions: LaFlorecita
And yet Astana is there despite it being Discovery in another name.

But I am probably overthinking it and some intern pressed for time and with little idea of cycling teams just slapped it all together
That was a completely different team that hired the Discovery Management after they had lost sponsorship and the Astana squad was reeling from the Vino positive. They left USPS/Discovery to sign with Astana. Astana would have ridden the 2008 had it been Discovery with a new sponsor.

Ranking Contador's Grand Tour wins from his most impressive level to the least impressive one :

1. Tour 2009
  2. Giro 2011
  3. Vuelta 2014
  4. Vuelta 2008
  5. Tour 2007
  6. Vuelta 2012
  7. Tour 2010
  8. Giro 2015
  9. Giro 2008

Do you agree with this guys ?

I think ranking his Vuelta '14 so high comes a lot from what might have been the Tour if Contador had not broken his leg.
To me, his '07 Tour should have been on the top-3. It was his first GT/Tour win and an impressive display of strength on the mountains.
I would rank '10's Tour higher, but that's me.

I think ranking his Vuelta '14 so high comes a lot from what might have been the Tour if Contador had not broken his leg.
To me, his '07 Tour should have been on the top-3. It was his first GT/Tour win and an impressive display of strength on the mountains.
I would rank '10's Tour higher, but that's me.
Tour 2010 is probably the hardest one and it might go as high as #3. I think it's slept on cause how strong Andy Schleck was that year.

Kinda hard to rank. Tour '09 is a clear number one and Giro '11 clear number two. I placed Tour '07 third simply because I feel the level was just insanely high that year. Sure Alberto couldn't quite beat Rasmussen but together they set some crazy climbing times.

Giro '08 is a clear last place I think, with Vuelta '12 just ahead. Although we were all very excited to see him back in action, he truly struggled that race. Obviously Purito was in the form of his life but an in-form Alberto should have had no issues with him.

Numbers 4 to 7 are a bit more unclear and honestly could be ranked in any order. With regards to climbing, he was quite dominant at the '08 and '14 Vuelta. Even though he was coming back from injury so you'd expect him to be below par, I feel his level was really high in 2014. As for Giro '15, I think he was in quite good shape but unlucky with some crashes/injuries. Landa was obviously great that year and Alberto did crack spectacularly on the Finestre stage, but he had some really exceptional performances that race. Valdobbiadene ITT and Mortirolo come to mind, but also the stage to Vicenza. In his last few years his performance on punchy finishes was quite a good indicator for his overall shape, he would regularly struggle when he didn't quite have it.
For Tour '10 the same could be said as for '07, but I don't know, I don't really get enthusiastic about it.

1. Tour 2009
  2. Giro 2011
  3. Tour 2007
  4. Vuelta 2014
  5. Vuelta 2008
  6. Giro 2015
  7. Tour 2010
  8. Vuelta 2012
  9. Giro 2008

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Kinda hard to rank. Tour '09 is a clear number one and Giro '11 clear number two. I placed Tour '07 third simply because I feel the level was just insanely high that year. Sure Alberto couldn't quite beat Rasmussen but together they set some crazy climbing times.

Giro '08 is a clear last place I think, with Vuelta '12 just ahead. Although we were all very excited to see him back in action, he truly struggled that race. Obviously Purito was in the form of his life but an in-form Alberto should have had no issues with him.

Numbers 4 to 7 are a bit more unclear and honestly could be ranked in any order. With regards to climbing, he was quite dominant at the '08 and '14 Vuelta. Even though he was coming back from injury so you'd expect him to be below par, I feel his level was really high in 2014. As for Giro '15, I think he was in quite good shape but unlucky with some crashes/injuries. Landa was obviously great that year and Alberto did crack spectacularly on the Finestre stage, but he had some really exceptional performances that race. Valdobbiadene ITT and Mortirolo come to mind, but also the stage to Vicenza. In his last few years his performance on punchy finishes was quite a good indicator for his overall shape, he would regularly struggle when he didn't quite have it.
For Tour '10 the same could be said as for '07, but I don't know, I don't really get enthusiastic about it.

1. Tour 2009
  2. Giro 2011
  3. Tour 2007
  4. Vuelta 2014
  5. Vuelta 2008
  6. Giro 2015
  7. Tour 2010
  8. Vuelta 2012
  9. Giro 2008
Mortirolo time wasn't crazy fast or anything, and the Valdobbiadene ITT was actually pretty much in line with what you'd expect him to put into Aru and Landa if you account for the crazy length of the ITT. If you want to cite numbers then there's no way the 2010 Tour is behind the 2015 Giro.

TRENDING THREADS